Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 04:38 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,010,055 times

Advertisements

How may blocks is it? Is it all pedestrian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 05:44 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,635,257 times
not all pedestrian only one pedestrian street but the whole town is about 1.5 mile long and i/4 mile wide

Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,258 times
The pedestrian district is narrow and shaded with spanish moss trees, Artists sell paintings and crafts in certain spots. Very nice place to take a stroll. There is affordable and fine dining all in walking distance. All of St Augustine is historic because of it's title as oldest american city founded by the spanish.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:07 PM

448 posts, read 829,403 times
The pedestrian/shopping street is called St George Street and extends approx. 600 meters or about 2000 feet.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:36 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
...and fine dining all in walking distance.
Fine dining? Where?

But seriously, none of the restaurants in the Old Town area are terribly good. About the only place we like to eat regularly is Cruisers. All of the other places in the area are (affordable) but over-priced and the food is barely average (if you're lucky).

However, other than that, we love going down there all of the time. It's nice to walk around and hang out on a nice spring day.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:12 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,896,725 times
You can't be serious, Gadget. 95 Cordova, Aviles, Columbia, LePavillon, Raintree all quickly come to my mind. IMO, all these and more are excellent downtown St. Augustine restaurants.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:13 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
Fine dining? Where?

But seriously, none of the restaurants in the Old Town area are terribly good. About the only place we like to eat regularly is Cruisers. All of the other places in the area are (affordable) but over-priced and the food is barely average (if you're lucky).
The Gourmet Hut on Cuna St. is great for lunch. They also own the cute little coffee shop next door. It was very memorable.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:41 PM

25 posts, read 36,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
Fine dining? Where?

However, other than that, we love going down there all of the time. It's nice to walk around and hang out on a nice spring day.
huh i think there are several good resturants in the downtown area

as ssclulow said "95 Cordova, Aviles, Columbia, LePavillon, Raintree all quickly come to my mind. IMO, all these and more are excellent downtown St. Augustine restaurants"

i would also like to add that Ale works has some good food as well also burritoworks is good for lunch.

I guess or opinions differ but doesnt mean either of us is wrong. good day

Old 02-08-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssclulow View Post
You can't be serious, Gadget. 95 Cordova, Aviles, Columbia, LePavillon, Raintree all quickly come to my mind. IMO, all these and more are excellent downtown St. Augustine restaurants.
I am absolutely serious. I haven't been to the Columbia in SA--just the one in Ybor City--but I'm sure it's good. Other than that, I've been to a few of the others you've listed and they're average (at best). I find most of the restaurants in the area to be way over-priced and the food lacking. I hear about how great these places are and I really just don't get it.

Mind you, we've not tried EVERY place there so I'm not saying it's ALL like this, however, what I've tried, I've been less than impressed with.

Raintree is one of the places I plan to try as I've heard good things about it. Just haven't gotten around to trying it.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagewonder View Post

i would also like to add that Ale works has some good food as well also burritoworks is good for lunch.
The Ale Works is one of those places I scratch my head about. Honestly, the food wasn't very good (not even average) the few times I've been there and the service was just as bad. I really don't see what others think is so great about this place. I do know a few others who have said the same thing.

The places I've been (with a couple of exceptions) have all been tourist traps. I can understand it as it is a tourist area.

Again, I've not tried everywhere I've been planning on trying but I groan whenever friends talk about going down to the Old Town area to have dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville