Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjorourke View Post
I would also vote for Riverside. For affordability, Springfield is probably the least expensive, but it is also an area that, while they are definitely working on it and have made a lot of progress, it still has a ways to go in terms of "being restored" and has a much higher crime rate. Riverside is pretty with nice people and many, many places you can travel to on foot.
Yes, as I mentioned, Riverside is nearing the end of it's "transitonal" neighborhood label. Probably in the next 5 years. The Springfield historic district is in the middle of that transition. However, the neighborhood that the orginal poster describes is exactly what a transitional neighborhood is. All types of people & socioeconomic statuses, which often create a creative, welcoming and social community. San marco, while it does have transitional elements and areas, doesn't have enough to be considered a transitional neighborhood. You are incorrect, however, about the crime rate. They are virtually identical. Have been for the last few years. As far as affordability goes, as I mentioned, there will be very few decent apartments in any of these areas at $400 price point, if any. $450 gives something to work with. Hence there's a lot of movement of renters between Riverside and Springfield historic district especially, but also San Marco to a degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
You could probably find a nice single wide off of Timaquana for $350 or so.

Yes, if you want to find some very cheap, decent apartments, look in the inner ring of subrubs around the general Downtown area. While the urban core of Jax is in the midst of a massive investment, people are divesting in the suburbs just outside of the Downtown general area. This is a national phenonenon, where people with means either move further out to the newest suburb, or into the general Downtown area, leaving a ring of people with few means in between. Such as 103rd Street, Timuquana, Arlingyon and other general areas of older, post WWII suburbs. These won't be walkable, electic, etc, etc as the orginal poster asked for, but they will be cheap.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:50 AM

35 posts, read 50,222 times
Thank you again to all posters. The info is invaluable.

I haven't given up on my price point of $400 for a Studio apartment in Riverside, since I suspect that utilities (A.C.) will run close to $100 a month. Am I overestimating what it would take to cool a studio?

Old 02-08-2013, 11:55 AM

In Jacksonville, water and electric are combined. So your bill would probably be around $100.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:20 PM

178 posts, read 328,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
In Jacksonville, water and electric are combined. So your bill would probably be around $100.
In many or most multiple family dwellings, the water is included in the rent. Our electric bill in our 1000 sf condo averages $75/mo. which is fairly reasonable even with JEA. The reason may be because it's newer and more energy efficient but I use my dryer more than I used to in our house because they object here to hanging laundry on the balcony.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:53 AM

10 posts, read 12,689 times
What do you think of the apts located around Park St. & Stockton St. in Riverside...in terms of the location and if it's suitable for young family with small kids. Many thanks.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:40 AM

448 posts, read 829,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncashley View Post
What do you think of the apts located around Park St. & Stockton St. in Riverside...in terms of the location and if it's suitable for young family with small kids. Many thanks.
Asked and answered in another thread that you posted in.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncashley View Post
Yes, lots of families there. A great variety of 'types' of people.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:59 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundreamer66 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm an active 66 y.o. woman currently living in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. A year ago I thought that San Miguel might answer my need to live on a limited budget in a great climate, but I couldn't know how worried I would become about access to healthcare services. Most everything down here is self-pay. Expat insurance policies are out of my range, and while I'm covered for something like a broken ankle by the national healthcare system here, that care would be rudimentary at best.

Aging has its priorities and I'm now considering returning to the states for access to my Medicare coverage.

Years ago my family made the usual trek from the New York/New Jersey area to Florida. I graduated high school in Miami and have life long friends in Tampa, Coconut Grove, and Tamarac. I know the flora & fauna of South Florida well, but I'm looking at northeast Florida as giving me some (if only minor) relief from the incredible humidity of south Florida. Am I wrong? <grin>

I've been reading threads here diligently and suspect the cost of living (expensive anywhere in the continental U.S.) in Jacksonville - and some of its neighborhoods, might work for me.

Some information:

While highly educated, I'll be considered poor, so I won't be looking at neighborhoods that are 'trendy'. While I'm not averse to picking up a part-time, low wage job to make ends meet, I'd like to stay 'retired' on a slender budget.

Moving on.

Over a lifetime, I've become an urbanite. I enjoy living in walkable communities where I can duck down the street to pick up a gallon of milk, get to know my neighbors and local vendors, and volunteer in my community. I like being around all age groups. Actually the sound of kids laughing, dogs barking, and cyclists whizzing by is music to my ears.The sounds that would annoy or frighten me are: frat boys and/or gunshots. Yes, with my budget I'm walking a thin line between cheap college apartments and the ghetto, but that's why I'm coming to y'all for help. <smile>

I suppose I'm an "internationalist" too, in that I'd love a neighborhood like the one where I lived in San Francisco years ago: a Russian, Viet Namese, and Italian restaurant within a couple of blocks, a radically diverse population from all over the globe. I know northeast Florida isn't much like *that*, but I'd like to get as close as possible in the neighborhood I choose.

So, I'll be looking for an efficiency at the $400 mark in a four-plex or less. [Sigh, I know that means no pool and it's a horrifying thought, but there it is.]

I've read every thread on the areas of San Marcos, Riverside and Springfield and, considering my age and my preferences, am hoping that some of you can point to me where I might focus?

Which of the three can provide my best shot at the impossible:

A pretty 'hood where it's safe to walk?
Non-trendy so a $400 efficiency that's not roach-infested is a possibility?
A diverse population in terms of color and income and age?

Thank you so much for reading this post. I've tried to give you the pertinent information without boring you to tears, but if you have questions, please: ask away.

My ignorance about Jacksonville is boundless. Your collective wisdom? Priceless.
I don't know how many people who have responded to your message are > 65 and on Medicare. I'm in that category. Can you afford to go traditional Medicare with a Medicare supplement policy? If not - I'd explore what's here in terms of Medicare Advantage Plans (am not personally familiar with them - but haven't heard good things about them).

And just my 2 cents. $400/month isn't going to get you a decent place to live here. Unless you perhaps find a "granny flat" over someone's garage. Robyn

Old 03-04-2013, 04:40 PM

35 posts, read 50,222 times
Yes, yes, that's what I want. A 'granny flat' over someone's garage, LOL. At least until I get settled and get my feet underneath me. Any suggestions where Granny's flat is? <smile>

The reason I need to keep my rent so low is so that I can afford a Medigap policy. And yes, nobody has to tell me about the incredible screw-up called healthcare in America - it's an issue I've been organizing around for more than 45 years. Still, as I wrote, in Mexico you must self-pay or go without treatment - something I suspected but didn't know in any kind of experiential way until I moved down.

Thanks everyone for your 2cents. I really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville