Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 07:02 PM

18 posts, read 18,749 times

Advertisements

So after 6 years of researching and reading, we are finally down here house hunting. I fell in love with the Julington Creek Plantation area, but the wife fell in love with a house in Glen St Johns. So, "happy wife, happy life", it looks like Glen St Johns may be it.

My question is, JCP seemed to have everything within 5 minutes of the development, but where are all the stores and stuff in Glen St Johns? It's 5 minutes just to get out of the development! We saw a sign that said "New shopping center coming soon" or something to that effect. Any word on what's going up there? Is the area around Glen St Johns growing quickly or will it be 10 years before it starts to look like SR13 in JCP?

Just wondering. Nothing will deter my wife at this point.

PS - Thanks to everyone who has ever posted on this forum. I've been following and reading the Jax forum for over 2 years now. It felt good to finally see everything I had been reading about! My realtor was impressed with how much I knew. I made sure I gave all the credit to the great folks here at City-data!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 12:01 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,009,235 times
The Durbin Park project will be opening its first stores by the end of 2018 / early 2019. The first stores will include a Walmart and a Home Depot. Future development will include restaurants, and aI also heard a movie theater. Once you come out of Glen St Johns ( I know it’s a long road ) and hit CR 210, make a right and go past I-95. Between I-95 and US 1 will be three developments, one of which is Beachwalk, which will have a 14 acre man made lagoon. Now why they need a lagoon when you are less then 30 minutes from some very nice beaches , I don’t know, but the lagoon will also have more shops and restaurants , which will be open to the public ( the lagoon will be private)

Now , in addition, St Johns Parkway ( CR 2209) is being expanded to go from CR210 all the way to SR 16, which is a span of almost 10 miles. Between CR 210 and SR 16 is the planned SilverLeaf Community, which will add they are planning another 10,000 homes. These families will need restaurants , Entertainment also.

So there are plenty of places being developed...a little too much if you ask me, but that’s the way th8ngs are done here. Both communities you mention are nice, only thing is JCP the houses are a little older. But the CDD fees in JCP are pretty low for the area. Unsure what they are in Glen St Johns. Good luck with wherever you end up. Where in NY are you from ?

Old 07-02-2018, 06:03 AM

Sith, thank you for the info! My wife and I are originally from Westchester county but relocated to Dutchess county when we had kids (Westchester was too expensive). I’m glad they’re building and adding a Home Depot and Walmart. I always tell my wife I don’t want to drive 20 minutes one way for a gallon of milk.
And the JCP CDD was $727/year. Glen St John is coming in at a whopping $940/year! Really not bad compared to a couple of places we saw ($2000-2500). Plus the taxes down here are less than 1/2 of what we are paying in NY. With the CDD it still comes it around half, and my taxes weren’t that high in NY to begin with.
Than you again SithLord!

Last edited by Juaneo; 07-02-2018 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 07-04-2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juaneo View Post
Sith, thank you for the info! My wife and I are originally from Westchester county but relocated to Dutchess county when we had kids (Westchester was too expensive). I’m glad they’re building and adding a Home Depot and Walmart. I always tell my wife I don’t want to drive 20 minutes one way for a gallon of milk.
And the JCP CDD was $727/year. Glen St John is coming in at a whopping $940/year! Really not bad compared to a couple of places we saw ($2000-2500). Plus the taxes down here are less than 1/2 of what we are paying in NY. With the CDD it still comes it around half, and my taxes weren’t that high in NY to begin with.
Than you again SithLord!

You’re right about the CDD fees. Mine are about $1900. There are some lots in my community with CDD fees if $2200 or $2600. My taxes are lower here too then in NY but i have less land , which is ok at this post of my life anyway

Good luck with whatever you decide on .

Old 07-05-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:

Just wondering. Nothing will deter my wife at this point.
....except our offer in Glen St Johns being rejected apparently. But our offer in JCP was accepted and hopefully in about a month we can complete the move to Fla!

Last edited by Juaneo; 07-05-2018 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: Added wording

Old 07-05-2018, 01:58 PM

134 posts, read 254,596 times
Default Congrats on the Accepted offer

We have been here for 10 years. Also originally High taxed Westchester residents. We spent 9 1/2 years in The Parkes of Julington Creek. We loved it. Just so happens the market swung in our direction and we decided to build new not to far away. Good Luck

Old 07-05-2018, 04:57 PM

Thank you, Chris, for the kind words. Being from Westchester yourself, is there any culture shock going from Westchester to N. Fl or is it a relatively painless transition? With comforts and conveniences just a stone’s throw away, JCP kind of reminds a little of Westchester.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you, Chris, for the kind words. Being from Westchester yourself, is there any culture shock going from Westchester to N. Fl or is it a relatively painless transition? With comforts and conveniences just a stone’s throw away, JCP kind of reminds a little of Westchester.

You will be happy with Julington Creek. The culture shock for me ( we came from Orange County NY), was that the lots were smaller compared to what we had in Orange Co. and the houses are closer together. But this is florida.

The main thing is I have come to the conclusion that the food sucks compared to NY. But I still prefer Florida over NY and you will adjust and like it here.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
The culture shock for me ( we came from Orange County NY), was that the lots were smaller compared to what we had in Orange Co. and the houses are closer together. But this is florida.

The main thing is I have come to the conclusion that the food sucks compared to NY.
It's funny you mention the houses. My wife hates that the neighbors are so close in Poughkeepsie even though we have about 1/3 acre so there's actually plenty of space between our house and the neighbor's. Now in JCP we're practically on top of each other. We should be able to see what the neighbor's are having for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

As far as the food, we'll see. But that fact that Papa John's is considered gourmet pizza by my relatives down here tells me not to get my hopes up too high! Good thing I make decent Italian food!

Old 07-06-2018, 10:53 AM

9,424 posts, read 8,398,112 times
Your concerns with Glen St Johns are on par with ours. We found a perfect house out there.....and I mean **perfect** for 25% less than just about anyone else up and down the 210 corridor. I could not get past how isolated it was. You are spot on - it's 15 minutes just to get out of that neighborhood and onto 210, and it was also just a tad too close to 95 for my comfort. I think JCP is the better choice between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville