Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 10:18 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittransplant View Post
My husband And I are going to come up to St Augustine from Palm BEach County to see if it is the type of area we would like to retire to next year.

Can anyone recommend a specific hotel to stay at ...there are SO many to choose from. A reasonable price ....I know it is going to be $100 or more a night but less than $200! Yikes....

It would be great if it was downtown so we could be central. If you have actual experience could you chip in please...?

thanks
The Wale Tail which is a beautiful B&B. Home was built in 1912 by Henry Flagler's Accountant. Big Porches, plenty of rocking chairs . Modern rooms with a Great Breakfast. Close to everything. Bring your bicycles for the best transportation.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 01:14 PM

443 posts, read 896,334 times
Quote:
Can I ask why you chose Ponte Vedra Over St Augustine? You seem to be doing similar research to me from a similar area......
Our initial trip to NE Florida was to look at St. Augustine as a retirement destination. We spend the weekend driving around, looked at a few homes, etc., but it just didn't appeal to us. We preferred the gated neighborhoods of Ponte Vedra and being a little closer to the hospitals, shopping and airport in Jacksonville.

Before we make a final decision, though, we want to check out Amelia Island (Amelia Park) and the Jacksonville beaches. We haven't been to those spots yet.

I'm anxious to hear your thoughts about the area after you get back from your trip - hope you'll report back!

Old 08-31-2013, 04:02 PM

36 posts, read 93,321 times
Not wanting to hhijack my own thread "Vigo" :0 but we are also going to spend a day in Fernadina Beach because that is also on my list. If we are driving 4 hours anyway I suppose 70 more miles won't make much difference! I have been to Amelia Island myself for a couple of weekend getaways but hubby hasn't. I loved it but...we shall see!

Old 08-31-2013, 09:12 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Not wanting to hhijack my own thread "Vigo" :0 but we are also going to spend a day in Fernadina Beach because that is also on my list. If we are driving 4 hours anyway I suppose 70 more miles won't make much difference! I have been to Amelia Island myself for a couple of weekend getaways but hubby hasn't. I loved it but...we shall see!

I suggest you see Fort Clinch, a well preserved mid 19th Century coastal fortification on Amelia Island. It is unusually sophisticated and is one of only two American forts with Carnot scraps; loopholed walls for riflemen standing in front of the main earthen ramparts. Carnot scraps were popular in British and German forts of the time and the Austrian fortifications of Verona (which still stand) use them.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:21 AM

36 posts, read 93,321 times
Well the week has arrived that we are going up to St Augustine and Fernandina Beach. I decided to book at the Edgewater Inn as a treat...it's my Birthday weekend after all! We have a water view room so hopefully the sun will shine unlike the last few weeks of perpetual rainy days! I am looking forward to seeing St Augustine and meeting up with "Peter the Brit" to see the housing areas in St Augustine. If any one has some great areas to suggest we look at please jump in!!

sheila
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville