Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 06:33 PM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have plans to move from the Rocky Mountains of CO to St. Augustine in the summer of 2014. We will likely be renting for the first year just to ensure we are 100% certain that is where we'd like to call home for the long-term. We're renting out here and thankful we are as we've grown very tired of winters and are ready to move to a warm-weather city permanently, as well as some other things factoring into our decision to move.

We have a 3 year old and are wanting to be within the St. John's school district and to also be in a planned community, complete with community pool(s), rec center/gym, walking paths, tennis/golf, parks, etc. as I think that would be both good for our little one and a good way to meet folks quickly.

I've been able to research some of the more visable communities online, such as World Golf Village. But am having trouble finding a good list of such communities anywhere that doesn't turn into a link to some real estate website.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 08:10 PM

85 posts, read 202,876 times
Palencia seems like it would offer everything you are looking for. Take a look at the current thread on this community (and ignore the "snobby" part of the title...it's anything but.) We have lived here a little over a year and love it.

The communities of Nocatee might also appeal to you.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:38 PM

94 posts, read 190,366 times
Nocatee- The 6th Best Selling Master Planned Community in America (Check out Nocatee.com) located in Ponte Vedra (Northeast St. Johns County). It has everything your looking for but a Golf Course. However, there are Golf Courses nearby.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:05 AM

32 posts, read 68,457 times
I sent you a message. We are also moving from Denver....have lived in Vail too after college in Charleston, SC and being raised in Long Island - I mention this because we are looking for a mix of it all.....

Nocatee is #1 on our list because it has great schools that many NY transplants are happy with, has lots of "nature" like beautiful CO, and is close to St. Aug which has the history like Charleston. Also considering Palencia and LasCalinas.

Our children are all CO native and have known no other home but this one and even they are excited to get to the beach!

We are loving what we see in Nocatee and hope that we can afford it - we are trying to go mortgage free as we relocate one business and start a second one - so our budget is about $300 but what I see in Nocatee that the husband likes is closer to $400-450.

We also considered Durbin Crossing but really wanted to stay east of 95 for beach access, although from Palencia and Las Calinas you have to go north or south first and then over the bridge, so it may even out to Durbin Crossing in the end.

We are heading there in about a month to spend some time driving, looking, evaluating....it's all exciting and nerve wracking at the same time!

Old 10-23-2013, 04:11 AM

146 posts, read 224,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gr8kidz View Post
although from Palencia and Las Calinas you have to go north or south first and then over the bridge,
Ummm ... From Nocatee you have to go over the same bridges as those in Palencia do! You're just closer to the Palm Valley Bridge than those in Palencia are. But you're further than those in Palencia are from the Bridge of Lions in St. Augustine, that leads to one of the top 5 rated beaches in Florida, Anastasia State Park.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:17 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,162,334 times
If you want the epitome of super planned, nice St Johns county neighborhoods, Durbin Crossing and Nocatee are far and away the best choices. They are both getting a brand new K through 8 school in the community opening next year, in fact, they are identical schools (layout, design, builder, everything). But they have very different feels to them, visit both and come back and ask questions.

There are also countless threads debating the two communities...

Old 10-23-2013, 07:17 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,635,992 times
Florida 2014
Why are you spending so much with the addition of cdd taxes when there are many great sub divisions and non gated communities here in St Augustine and you will be nearer beaches great schools and the ancient city
It sounds to me that you need a visit here to see the communities before rushing a move and maybe regretting down the line

Old 10-23-2013, 08:05 AM

94 posts, read 190,366 times
We just bought a House in Nocatee. We took two trips down there, did alot of researching and shopping around. Durbin Crossing was a close second, then World Golf Village and then Palencia. Durbin Crossing is a good looking neighborhood and has alot of appeal. You get a bigger house/lot there for less money. My Wife,kids and I and all came to an agreement that Nocatee was it. For us it was the best location, had the most to do, and we liked the David Weekley layouts/designs and their quality.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:06 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gr8kidz View Post
I sent you a message.
Replied. Let's definitely stay in touch and compare notes, you will probably be doing your in-person research much sooner than us. We will be visiting early 2014 for approx 4 days to get a feel of the neighborhoods and areas and then will be back likely in June to secure home-search and secure a lease.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 AM

26 posts, read 44,350 times
Sorry to piggyback on Florida2014's original post. I've been lurking on these boards for a few weeks now. Our family is considering a move in the next 2 to 3 years to SJC. It seems like all of the "big" communities are always mentioned (Nocatee, Durbin, etc.) but what about some of the smaller communies. I suppose since we're not planning to do anything for at least another 2 or 3 years, it could be a completed community and we could look for a re-sale. I guess my point is, where should I look if I want a community that does not have over 3,000 homes yet still want some of the amenities (pool, clubhouse, etc.)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville