Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,073 times

Advertisements

We are moving to jax and looking for housing! We have 4 dogs. Two large (golden retriever and border collie) and two small (miniature dachshunds).
We have been living on two acres in Athens Ga. Is there any housing available?! I suppose an apartment could work but a house would be better. Any suggestions on where to live?! I've tried searching but I think we need something off the radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 02:03 PM

216 posts, read 475,701 times
most counties have a 3 pet maximum per household. I would check on county regulations for St Johns and Duval. Otherwise a neighbor could make your life miserable.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:23 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,897,929 times
The St. Johns County code is "Household pets are permitted in all residential districts, but the number of pets over 10 weeks of age shall not exceed 5." Cities within the county may enforce there own rules allowing less than 5. You will find it nearly impossible to find a landlord who will allow 4 dogs. It's difficult to find landlords who allow 1. Decent, reasonably priced rentals do not stay on the market very long at all so landlords pass on those who have dogs. How close to Jacksonville do you need to be? You might find something in Putnam County which is mostly rural.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:17 PM

222 posts, read 425,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssclulow View Post
You will find it nearly impossible to find a landlord who will allow 4 dogs. It's difficult to find landlords who allow 1. Decent, reasonably priced rentals do not stay on the market very long at all so landlords pass on those who have dogs. How close to Jacksonville do you need to be? You might find something in Putnam County which is mostly rural.
ssclulow's comments are spot-on. In addition to county regulations, many HOAs in planned communities limit the number of pets that my reside in a home. I agree that your best bet for a rental will be in the more rural areas of greater Jacksonville. Or finding a rental directly from an owner (vs. through a property management company) who is also an animal lover. Your best bet for that may be through craigslist.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:47 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
As a pet sitter I've seen two rentals with four dogs. But I specialized in high rises so I wasn't exposed to the whole potential of >2 dog people very much.

One was a duplex in an okay part of San Marco (a good area). BUT when I got inside I found out why. It was deferred maintenance and a mess - I actually declined the job. The lady told me the owner lived in Hawaii and didn't care, she inherited it. So that renter took FULL advantage. LOL She said at one point she had EIGHT dogs in there.

The second one was on a not so great street in Murray Hill (contiguous to Avondale). The client said "Oh don't worry if the schizophrenic guy next door seems scary - he won't hurt you. LOL

So they do exist. But I agree if there's a more rural area that's commutable - go for it.

Craigslist can be sketchy but I found a good legit rental there myself in Avondale. After getting scammed with a REALLY BAD one in So Fl. Maybe I'd actually put an ad up as a renter looking for housing but be warned you may get some wack jobs or undesirable replies.

If you find any that you want to know about and post it here, people can tell you if it's decent or not or a legit looking listing.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,073 times
Well we will be working in the jax beach location. putnam is quite the drive to work. looking at 70+ miles. we may look in some northern counties and see. this seems hopeless!

Old 10-28-2013, 06:43 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwh1220 View Post
Well we will be working in the jax beach location. putnam is quite the drive to work. looking at 70+ miles. we may look in some northern counties and see. this seems hopeless!
I'ts never hopeless just difficult. Start with being a really good "salesperson" for yourself and show them pictures of where you live, how clean blah blah blah. Then have good references. Offer to pay as many months in advance as possible. Offer to let the landlord inspect the place once a month.

It sounds like couples I know that each brought two dogs into a relationship. So a dog lover may be understanding!

I wouldn't rule out a realtor. They know their owners.

Otherwise you'll be stuck leasing two separate units!

Old 10-28-2013, 10:19 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,001,666 times
Might want to try the Yulee vicinity. This site may work for other areas too.
http://pet-friendly.rentalads.com/Florida/Yulee/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville