Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 10:17 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,275,804 times

Advertisements

Generally speaking, there's not a lot of difference between A-C schools and D-F schools.

That's what I mean by inaccurate.

Ratings are a rough snap shot (simply formulated from FCAT tests & gradulation rates), nothing more.

Doesn't factor in the make up of the student body, for example.

That's why you'll see big jumps some years, for example Lee this year. Last year C, this year A.

It's not because anything drastically changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 12:11 PM

12 posts, read 17,475 times
All your comments are a great help. I've settled down to Southside and Saint Johns county now. I think it should not be more than 30 mins drive from my husband's workplace, which is probably ok. I see that there are a lot of good schools here, which would make my school choosing task easier. Now to the next phase of finding a good house. I see that all the individual rental houses demand atleast a one year lease, which would not work out for me. So I plan to search for some nice apartments in this area (Southside - Northern part of Saint johns county). Any suggestions???

Old 12-18-2013, 03:34 PM

What's your budget and how mant beds/baths are you looking for?

Old 12-18-2013, 03:40 PM

12 posts, read 17,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
What's your budget and how mant beds/baths are you looking for?
My budget is 1500 max. Looking for a 2+bed and 1+bath house/apt. The space should be family friendly and spacious. I wish I can rent a individual house, if there is someone who can lease it out for less than 6 months. Ruling that out, I'd go for an apartment with less lease term (again, with 2 kids I would prefer a spacious one).

Old 12-19-2013, 05:29 AM

A less than 6 month lease will limit your search greatly - most won't consider anything under that time.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:02 PM

54 posts, read 127,956 times
Have you been to Jacksonville? I've made 3 scouting trips and I'm in a very similar position as you. This is just my opinion so take that for what it's worth. I can't speak of schooling other than online ratings, driving through the area and what people say here. That being said where Deutsche Bank is located I would only consider St Johns county or the Mandarin area. Reasons being are 1) I like the suburbs, especially with small children. Yeah they are typically cookie cutter homes but, especially in St.Johns co, there are kids everywhere and a ridiculous amount of stuff for them to do. I've visited Nocatee, Julington Creek, Durbin Crossing and Eagle harbor on Fleming Island. Each of those I would consider as a "kids paradise" with an abundance of things to do for the adults as well. 2) I was very unimpressed with the Jacksonsville downtown area, Ortega, Springfield, Arlington....basically all of Duval co. that I've seen. Even the beaches were very unimpressive to me. I've been to many wonderful downtown areas in many cities and imo, Jax is right up there as the worst. On the flip side, the neighborhoods I had mentioned above were some of the nicest I have ever seen. Like I said, I'm not a downtown city living kind of guy, so just take my opinion for what's it's worth. Some people here love the areas I had mentioned. If you are able then try and take a trip to get a good look around. I think it's a great idea for you to rent first also, that will definitely give you the best idea of where to make a permanent move. Good luck!!!

Old 12-19-2013, 03:37 PM

Wrigley, please peddle your bad information elsewhere.

Ortega and Arlington are NOT in the Downtown area. At all.

Ortega is one of the most, if not THE most, prestigious and upscale neighborhood in Jacksonville. Million dollar homes stacked on top of one another. Arlington is a mixed bag, some part of very nice and some parts are awful. It's trending negative, so I wouldn't recommend making an investment there. The one neighborhood you mentioned that is actually in the Downtown area, the Springfield historic district, is widely recognized as an up & coming transitional neighborhood, featured in all types of national media.

That said, those are just 3 neighborhood's out of 100000 in Jacksonville. No one has recommended living Downtown, as it doesn't fit what the poster is looking for. She wants the southside of the river.

Hence:

Charming in Historic San Marco

2780 Riverwood Ln, Jacksonville, FL 32207 is For Rent - Zillow

House w garage and fenced yard~ pet freindly^4245redwood

San Marco River Front Condo

Old 12-19-2013, 10:18 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
I actually don't object to most of what wrigley said. But I agree with FSU that San Marco could be the place for the OP. You can certainly find a spacious 2/1 for under $1500. And I dont know how old the kids are but Landon Middle School in San Marco is very desirable, so I've heard.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:44 AM

54 posts, read 127,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Wrigley, please peddle your bad information elsewhere.

Ortega and Arlington are NOT in the Downtown area. At all.

Ortega is one of the most, if not THE most, prestigious and upscale neighborhood in Jacksonville. Million dollar homes stacked on top of one another. Arlington is a mixed bag, some part of very nice and some parts are awful. It's trending negative, so I wouldn't recommend making an investment there. The one neighborhood you mentioned that is actually in the Downtown area, the Springfield historic district, is widely recognized as an up & coming transitional neighborhood, featured in all types of national media.

That said, those are just 3 neighborhood's out of 100000 in Jacksonville. No one has recommended living Downtown, as it doesn't fit what the poster is looking for. She wants the southside of the river.

Hence:

Charming in Historic San Marco

2780 Riverwood Ln, Jacksonville, FL 32207 is For Rent - Zillow

House w garage and fenced yard~ pet freindly^4245redwood

San Marco River Front Condo

When did I say that Ortega and Arlington were in downtown? Read the post again Jack! So if Ortega is the most prestigious neighborhood in Jax then that speaks to exactly what I said. I think I made it pretty clear I have made exactly 3 trips to Jacksonville and these are my opinions only. I lumped downtown all together I suppose. Looking through the map we were all over the Avondale and Riverside areas as well.

I'm not sure you have noticed but most people here typically disagree with you. You love to bash what other people say here constantly but if someone has a negative opinion about the areas you love you throw a fit like my 4 year old daughter. This is my opinion, you don't have to agree. I'm glad you enjoy where you live. I'm simply trying to help someone who's in a position like myself just as many others here have helped me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I actually don't object to most of what wrigley said. But I agree with FSU that San Marco could be the place for the OP. You can certainly find a spacious 2/1 for under $1500. And I dont know how old the kids are but Landon Middle School in San Marco is very desirable, so I've heard.
My last visit we toured around Arlington and the southside. San Marco was on the list to see that day but at that point my wife and I decided Duval co. is not for us so we left for the beach Hopefully it's a gem that I missed

Old 12-20-2013, 06:56 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Yeah, San Marco is indeed a nice gem, but I don't know that you'd be impressed with it either. I'm surprised by the comments about Ortega. To be honest I'm not an expert on the area whatsoever and don't know its exact borders, but I have been to several house parties in the neighborhood, black tie affairs in mansions on the water, and the few blocks that I saw on those trips looked quite impressive. I also know it's been included on lists of those most expensive and wealthiest zip codes in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville