Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:19 PM

10 posts, read 10,256 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

thinking now about property insurance, flood, hurricane and wind insurance, etc
We were using Farmers in California. Who should we use here? I am not chasing the best rate deal; more looking for a company providing good and fair service and with a decent track record.
This is more a query about insurance companies rather than agents but I will listen to any advice.
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 06:55 PM

284 posts, read 379,248 times
James Knox was fabulous for us.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:58 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,446,599 times
Contact a independent agent. You will need a 4-point inspection (wind, etc) on your home for insurance ratings. The agent can search available companies and see who will take you. A lot of the majors no longer serve Florida, and that is why the state created Citizens.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:53 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,897,445 times
I agree with Restain's post. Looking for an insurance company serving Florida is a waste of your time. You need to let a good independent insurance broker / agent tell you what your options are. Where are you purchasing? You will want to find a broker / agent who is somewhat familiar with your geographic area. I use an independent which is Knox Insurance Network, James Knox is the owner/ broker, 904-797-2000. He is in St. Augustine. If you are moving to St. Johns County, Palm Coast, St. Augustine, Palatka or Green Cove Springs, I would definitely give him a call. You can tell him Sue Clulow referred you. I don't get an referral fee, but am referring because he is very knowledgeable and a great guy to work with!

Last edited by ssclulow; 08-23-2014 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-23-2014, 07:28 PM

375 posts, read 444,711 times
Home | Insurance Agency | Brightway Insurance

Old 08-23-2014, 07:51 PM

Thanks to all of you for the agents referrals. We are purchasing in Mandarin and we already have the 4-point inspection.
Very impressed with the home inspection company we used, by the way.

I agree that working with an agent is necessary . My original query about the majors was prompted by my fear of dealing with a little/unreliable insurance company. Farmers had served us well for 25 years but alas as Restrain said, I understand the majors are no longer there I may still consider State Farms.

I am trading earthquakes and wild fires for hurricanes and floods! a new learning curve, for sure even if I am somehow familiar with the region.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:36 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,897,445 times
State Farm pulled out of Florida 5 years ago and just recently decided to start writing homeowners policies here again on a limited basis. When they pulled out, they cancelled the policies of hundreds of thousands of homeowners, many of whom had been customers for generations. If you get a quote from them , I would highly recommend that you also get a quote from an independent agent.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssclulow View Post
State Farm pulled out of Florida 5 years ago and just recently decided to start writing homeowners policies here again on a limited basis. When they pulled out, they cancelled the policies of hundreds of thousands of homeowners, many of whom had been customers for generations. If you get a quote from them , I would highly recommend that you also get a quote from an independent agent.
Thanks Sue.
In fact, it seems that State Farm is still dropping people; see State Farm Still Shedding Homeowners

Tough debate, I can here see the conflicting perspectives of insurance companies, clients (long-time or newcomers), regulators, and even taxpayers.

I am getting more than one quote for sure.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:57 PM

148 posts, read 425,555 times
USAA is now offering home owner's insurance in Florida. Auto & investments as well. Available to military members and family of military members. Not associated with the U.S. Government. Grade AAA Insurance Company, great rates, excellent customer service.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:41 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssclulow View Post
At least in this area - the first people State Farm dropped were those who kept it for homeowners' insurance purposes - but shopped around when it came to more profitable lines of coverage - like auto insurance. Guess it probably also dropped people whose houses weren't up to snuff. We've been with State Farm Florida since we moved here. Can't say it will always be around for us. But - so far - knock wood. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville