Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 06:21 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,363,704 times

Advertisements

This is simply ludicrous. You can find a news article relating to some similar crime in EVERY city in the United States, even small "safe" towns. Because some lunatic shot pellets at some random cars does not make St Johns Town Center "unsafe." Not even close folks.

I'll say it again for the 9th time, don't move to Jacksonville, Florida if crime stats scare you. Your paranoia will only heighten because it's a big city and crime happens............AS IT DOES IN EVERY BIG CITY IN THE UNITED STATES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Yep. Stuff like that happens. Everywhere.

I get the idea that you're not really here on a fact finding mission but to complain about something that doesn't affect you.
Yes!!! Agreed.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:36 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,996 times
Unfortunately, crime is typically associated with lack of opportunities and hope of a future. With more economic failures occurring will only bode for more crime and larger percentages of population committing the crimes. In fact, I would venture to say most of the issues today associated with crime & killings here in our towns, ISIS and other terrorist groups is mainly due to lack of opportunities.

Sorry got of track here but it does not matter what city you live in- the more populations are left out of economic prosperity the greater the spread. I know in my home town, areas that used to be considered upper middle class are being run out with violence and crime. I know one mall in particular that was more on the high end has had car jackings, fights, even a few murders when in years past non of this was going on.

To fix these problems we need to create more opportunities but as of now even the white collar workers are struggling. Not so sure de regulation and trickle down economics has done more harm than good. OK- I'll step off the soap box.

Enjoy Jacksonville Beach just as any other city.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:56 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I can't blame people too much for asking. To people not from the area, they describe Jacksonville like it's the Wild West or a battlefield or something. There's people that would have you believe that Jacksonville is on par with Camden New Jersey. Even people I knew before I moved here. ''You know, Jacksonville is supposed to be very bad you know. I hear they have a lot of crime there''

The most crime I come into contact with in my everyday life (outside of traffic violations) are people asking me if I wanna buy some weed from them or know if I have any to sell haha. Don't ask me why, I've never smoked in my life and somehow I give off a stoner vibe.

I'm not saying I'd leave my door unlocked when I'm gone or at night here, I wouldn't do that anywhere though. But I'll walk around, at all hours of the night. I pretty much know the areas to stay out. But there is a huge misinterpretation from outsiders that Jacksonville is this city where you need like a bulletproof vehicle just to drive around. I've lived in Denver (though this was 23-27 years ago), and North Jersey/South Jersey and San Diego are and the LA area all in the last 6 or 7 years, along with Jacksonville. I haven't felt any less safe here than where I was at in those respective areas. Though all of them have their bad parts too.
Compared to some areas the crime here is actually comparable to the wild wild west. Remember a while ago we were referred to as the murder capital, reputations dont fade easily.

2012 Jacksonville remains murder capital of Florida | jacksonville.com

2015 http://jacksonville.com/opinion/edit...yone-seem-care

I went to Sioux Falls SD a few years ago and the town was in an uproar because "a" person was shot.....

Old 05-18-2016, 07:23 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
Only thing I'm worried about at the beach is someone breaking into my car which happens everywhere. Make sure valuables are out of sight or locked in your glove compartment.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:25 AM

4.6 murders per 100,000 people......in 2012, no less. I would DEFINITELY not move to Jax with those kinds of odds! I'll take my chances in Bogota!

I don't even live in Jacksonville, but I'd like to at least present fair facts surrounding these threads. Many older people watch far too many news stories which lead with crime and it gets them all worked up. I guess nothing you can do there to stem that type of paranoia.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:33 PM

6,417 posts, read 4,913,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
4.6 murders per 100,000 people......in 2012, no less. I would DEFINITELY not move to Jax with those kinds of odds! I'll take my chances in Bogota!

I don't even live in Jacksonville, but I'd like to at least present fair facts surrounding these threads. Many older people watch far too many news stories which lead with crime and it gets them all worked up. I guess nothing you can do there to stem that type of paranoia.
What does a persons age have to do with being paranoid and getting worked up about crime? I don't consider myself a paranoid person or I would have left Buffalo decades ago and never lived in Bogota. I am not saying Jacksonville is a terrible dangerous place, just that it has an intractable crime problem like many cities. If you read my posts we want to move to a place that doesn't average 2 murders/week. We liked Jacksonville and it has a lot to offer but this daily parade of violence is giving us cause to rethink our decision to move there.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:42 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
I don't know what anyone's age has to do with it either. OTOH - a person who is smaller or weaker - for whatever reason - has more cause for concern than a larger stronger more athletic person. We left Miami when we were in our 40's. We wanted to build a house - and my husband absolutely refused to build a house in Miami. Too many of our friends had been robbed in their driveways when they were getting into/out of their cars. And this was in supposedly safe neighborhoods.

Also murder rates don't tell the whole story when it comes to crime. I have noticed an alarming rise in terms of larcenies and the like in my father's zip code. 32256. There was a home invasion robbery in his senior complex a couple of months ago. Not a good state of affairs. Robyn

Old 05-19-2016, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
We liked Jacksonville and it has a lot to offer but this daily parade of violence is giving us cause to rethink our decision to move there.
Best of luck then. Your additions to our message board have been invaluable. Good luck with your search.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I don't know what anyone's age has to do with it either.
So the senior citizens claim that being old doesn't make them worry more, yet all have brought up isolated incidents where they have cast huge blankets over entire zip codes, lol.

Ugh, I give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville