Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 12:38 PM

265 posts, read 994,069 times

Advertisements

Our Daytona Beach trip-dayt3.jpg

Our Daytona Beach trip-daytona1.jpg

Our Daytona Beach trip-daytona2.jpg

We headed out on a gorgeous day this past Saturday and decided to take the advice of friends and drive 95 South to Palm Coast and then cut over to go south on A1A. This was an unexpected surprise; the highway actually runs right along the coast with amazing views for miles. This is the first time we have experienced a roadway here in Florida that does not have something obstructing the view of the ocean. There are usually homes, dunes, or even worse huge condominiums that obstructs the view of the ocean. Now we have never driven along the Pacific coast Hwy, but we would have to say that the drive down this particular stretch of A1A is as close as you can get here in Florida. There were only a handful of big developments along this drive. There were colorful little beach homes on the west side of the hwy and a beautiful beach on the east side. We drove down at a leisurely pace and dined at one of the small roadside diners. We had no idea what to expect of Daytona or the race festivities but up until this point things were going very good. Now that is not to say we hadn’t formed an image in our mind of the people we were going to be mingling with over the weekend. Our preconceived notion was that the number of people would be much higher than the number of teeth in attendance. After a wonderful brunch at “Betty’s A1A café” (picture included, read the message board) with some rabid NASCAR fans; who knew Budweiser was an option at 10 am, we headed south. The drive was something I would have been really sad to miss and am so happy we took this route. (Thanks all who recc’d it) We arrived in Daytona Beach and we instantly told each other that we felt the vibe was different. We hung a quick left onto the beach. It hit me first and I didn’t know what it was, but I was euphoric and instantly happy. Within a few minutes I knew what it was. The smell of Hawaiian tropic suntan oil, it absolutely makes me happy every time I smell it. I propose it smells better than perfume. We drove along the beach and took in all the sights. As everyone knows Saturday was beautiful and sunny and the people were out. I am not sure how long you can drive on Daytona Beach but it seemed that we drove for miles. You could tell this was a tourist destination, people were happy to be here. We really enjoy being around tourists for one reason. They are always happy; you don’t meet to many tourists who are in a bad mood on vacation. They worked for 50 weeks to be here for 2 weeks, I think we got the better end of the deal personally. So, elated we decided to head over to the festivities at the Daytona International speedway. Miles and miles away you could see many planes pulling banners and a couple of blimps in the sky. They were circling and circling like gnats over a fruit bowl. It was a surreal scene; nothing in the sky as far as the eye could see but right there over the speedway as many aircraft as they could possibly have.(I included a pic of this) Back to our expectations of the people we would encounter. What a nice bunch of people they all were. It was just your average families out having a good time. Grandparents, kids, yuppies, rednecks, you name it they were there. (the picture of the guy on the segway is awesome because he had spinners on it) What a great vibe. Wow I have already written a lot sorry. Anyway we are not racing fans but we are Daytona 500 fans because it was pretty cool. Here are some pics. We plan on going back in 2 weeks for bike week woohoo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 12:41 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,836,584 times
Shhhhhhhhhhh you're giving away one of Palm Coast/Flagler Beach's greatest secret. I just love our stretch of A1A and you're right, it's very unique that the view is wide open!

I'm glad you had a nice time. And you will really enjoy Bike Week.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:34 PM

459 posts, read 1,417,376 times
ohhh man, have i had some good times in the infield of that racetrack during the 500.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:58 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent View Post
The smell of Hawaiian tropic suntan oil, it absolutely makes me happy every time I smell it. I propose it smells better than perfume.
Me too! Anything with coconut....mmmm!

Bike Week is going to smell a whole lot different.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:02 AM

265 posts, read 994,069 times
Pirate,
Your stretch of A1A should be a historical landmark like route 66. We enjoyed that drive so much. We plan on taking that route again when we return in a couple of weeks.

Jimbo,
Yes we saw some things in the infield that I can't say I have ever seen anywhere else. But everyone was so nice. Every person we met offered us a cold beverage and was in a celebratory mood.

Riveree,
Yes the HD's are going to be stinking it up during bike week. But we wouldn't miss it for the world. I have to do some serious studying before then so I can truly enjoy the festivities.
I am so happy that someone else enjoys the smell of coconut oil as much as me. It is intoxicating whew

Later

Old 02-14-2009, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,330 times
Default Great experience!

Last time I was in Daytona, I stayed at the Daytona Bahama House, Daytona Beach hotels ocean front Bahama House, and loved it. The hotel is right on the beach and just had all around great service. Our family had a great time, love the Florida weather and my kids love the beach. We can't wait to visit again.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:26 AM

63 posts, read 255,582 times
Finally a postive post about Daytona. Thank you thank you thank you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville