Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:08 PM

112 posts, read 524,145 times

Advertisements

There seems to be an influx of ppl fleeing NJ and heading down to Jax! We are one of them! As I posted before we have been looking into Murabella and Stonehurst. I was hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on the different association rules in these areas? Most of the developments here dont have anything like that- unless you are in a townhouse or something. So I was just wondering what to expect. I have heard all sorts of rumors, but would like to hear from those that live there what its like. I'm not worried about fees etc as we will be renting, but the other things that might not be common or even those that are... any information will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 10:08 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times
Every neighborhood association will have slightly different rules that the next, but I can give you some general ideas.....

The Lawn: This is a huge one for most of the HOAs. It must be green, weed-free, cut and edged......it should look perfect at all times. If you're on a lake, you have to take care of the the edge of the lake as well (pick up any garbage/debris, mow the shoreline, etc.).

Dogs: There might be a restriction on how many dogs you can have. Sometimes it's a max of 2 or 3.

Cars: Restrictions about where you can park.

Most of the other restrictions won't really affect you since you'll be renting.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:22 AM

11 posts, read 27,579 times
And so the mass exodus from the promised land begins. JAX here we come. Sorry couldn't resist some humor as bad off as we are here.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:37 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,982,275 times
If you're working with a realtor or an agency, you could probably request copies of the HOA rules of MuraBella and Stonehurst.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:53 AM

156 posts, read 710,939 times
We are also former Northeasterners (NY) and we live here in Murabella. As a renter, you will not have really many rules to follow other than keeping the lawn mowed and decent looking, they are not really too picky about that as long as it looks ok. The area is wonderful and growing, and they are starting to have more community based things to do as the development grows. I think we are just about 1/2 full right now, and they are starting to sell homes in the 2nd phase. We love it here, nice people, young families with kids, safe, great schools, and just an overall wonderful way of living. The weather for the past three months has been PERFECT, with just a few days here and there with unpleasant weather. I think it is a wonderful choice!!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:24 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,523 times
I live in Heritage Landing up the street from Murabella. This is the first time I have lived in a big planned community, so like you I was worried about all the rules and regs.

It's really not as complicated as you think, especially if you are renting and are not going to be trying to get approval for any additions or other improvements to the property.

Basically, you have to keep the yard in decent shape. This isn't easy in Florida because weeds and grass grow about a ft. high 2 weeks. You really need to cut the grass every week in the summer. Yard maintainence isn't bad at all in the winter though. Oh, and since there is little shade in these new developments, be prepared to pay for watering, which aint cheap! If you turn off the sprinkler, your yard will turn into hay in short order.

Don't park vehicles on the road all the time. This will tick your neighbors off. Once in a while is O.K. though.

If you have dogs, carry a pooper scooper at all times. If neighbors see you without one, you will not be making friends quickly.

That's about it here. I presume it's similar in all of these communities. And really I don't even think about the rules. I just live like I always have. My yard will never be the greenest because I refuse to douse it with chemicals repeatedly, and I'm not going to water every night, but I keep it reasonable.

I have a little girl who leaves her bike outside a lot, draws with sidewalk chalk all over, and armadillos who keep digging up my plants in the front yard!
We are just a normal family (also fron NJ) and we have never had a problem with the HOA.

I hope you guys enjoy whatever community you choose. Maybe someone can give you more specific advice, but really I think they are all about the same. Good Luck!

Last edited by songgirl; 03-04-2008 at 08:40 AM..

Old 03-04-2008, 10:51 AM

Thank you for all of the input! We have decided on a house in Stonehurst and will be moving in less that 3 weeks!!! I can not wait to escape the disgusting weather up here!! I laugh every time I see how many people are leaving this area to go to Jax- at least we aren't alone! Now to get 6 people and a dog ready to move 1000 miles... thats the fun part!

Old 03-04-2008, 03:18 PM

541 posts, read 2,285,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggnTaz View Post
Thank you for all of the input! We have decided on a house in Stonehurst and will be moving in less that 3 weeks!!! I can not wait to escape the disgusting weather up here!! I laugh every time I see how many people are leaving this area to go to Jax- at least we aren't alone! Now to get 6 people and a dog ready to move 1000 miles... thats the fun part!
TiggnTaz,

I am just curious about the comparison of property taxes and home insurance between where you were at in Jersey compared to Jax. I moved here from the Florham Park/Morristown area. I have never owned a home, but I am curious how much savings you expect. I know home values are probably a good 25% less here, but I am wondering what about property taxes? Any of the other Jersey transplants feel free to chime in. I am also wondering if the savings in property tax is offset by higher home insurance and CCD fees?

Old 03-04-2008, 03:39 PM

I am planing on renting for at least the first year or two that we are down there. Currently we are in Cherry Hill NJ and the tax is around $7800 a year.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:24 AM

133 posts, read 526,782 times
Talking Hoa Rules

Most HOA groups are concerned with looking rich, while they max out the old Visa card at the local Wal-Mart and Costco. So keep it pretty, here are a few things I've learned:

Pigs: Most don't allow pork, not even on Jewish holidays. No pigs, no potbelly's, even if they are smarter and cleaner then big dogs.

Beer or Moonshine: It's okay to brew your own beer with the proper kits available from retail outlets, wine is also okay, but you must keep it in the confines of a spare room or garage. Moonshine stills are frowned upon, even though they can be much prettier with all the copper coils and such. The "thump" kegs keep the neighbors awake. Besides the Mayor is an oil guy and anyone making alternative fuels is subject to arrest.

Terry cloth, flip flops, speed-o's, and curlers, this is not written in the codes, but walking around in such garb, will quickly sink your ship with all of the neighbors. Tattoo's are also looked down upon from the better neighborhoods. Sort of a poor mans way of investing in fine arts, the only acceptable one might be a large ad for your neighborhood on the left butt cheek or breast. Nobody want's to see a 20 year old NJ transplant, running around in Speedo's with the last supper tattoo'ed on his belly... we all know full well, when he reaches 50 it's going to look more liike the last buffet.

Diesel Trucks and cars on blocks: While seen as a status symbol in parts of Jersey City, they are really not acceptable. If you must put a car on concrete blocks, do so in the dead of night. This will leave the surprised homeowner with the job of cleaning up the mess in the morning, and you can enjoy the panic show from the comfort of your kitchen window.

Being mean to the neighborhood children: This is another unwritten rule here, nobody likes a mean old ugly adult. The best approach for pesky teens is to embrace them, allow them to throw unlimited pool parties in your back yard and fill the swimming pool with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze. Given a couple of days and the probblem will take care of itself.

Shell Fish: Hey, this one is vital, if you love oysters like I do, try not to shell the buggers and leave the pile of rotting shells too close to the neighbors bedroom window. For some unknown reason, this REALLY pisses them off.

Welcome as my neighbor!

Ocklawaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville