Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2008, 05:13 AM

46 posts, read 81,109 times

Advertisements

We made it to J'ville after a very bumpy ride. I don't know if you remember me but I posted a few months ago that we were thinking of moving here. Well, we had decided to stay in VA for one more year. However, the great one above had a different plan. DH was laid off from his job So we had to put our things in storage (what we didn't freecycle or goodwill), stuffed what we could in suitcases and hauled tail here. We arrived on the Feb 21st. He had an interview the next day, and was offered the job later that afternoon. He works on the Westside ( i think) off Beaver St. After driving around, I definitely do not want to stay there.

Went to Atlantic Beach and passed by Sutton Lakes. I remember Riveree saying that was an area I should check out. We loved it!!! It is close to shopping and reminded me of where I moved from. Except one difference, all the people outside actually waved to us. We would like to rent a home in that area, but how would the drive be for him? Currently, we are staying with family in Callahan. It is really boring here.

Approximately, how long would the commute be for him in the mornings if he leaves for work at 6:30? He drives a company vehicle so the gas isn't a problem. He just needs to live w/i 25 miles of his job.

I interviewed for a position at the Shands Clinic off Emerson St. Would it be a long commute for me also?

If so, what is another area you would recommend that will be just as good. We are looking for a 3 or 4 bedroom house to rent. The rent no more than $1200 month. Need decent schools and safe place for the kids.

Thanks for answering.

Last edited by coolfam7; 03-04-2008 at 05:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 05:53 AM

11 posts, read 27,578 times
Just curious what made you move to JAX? We are in the same position you are. We live in NJ and I was just laid off from my job. My wifes parents has offered for us to move to JAX and live with them until we got back on our feet. We are just allittle affraid to make such a huge leap but we fear we may have no choice soon as our bills are pilling up.

My parents live in Mass and offered the same thing but high cost of living there is making us think otherwise.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:00 AM

754 posts, read 2,814,498 times
Definitely do NOT live on the Westside, especially since you have kids!

I'd consider looking in Oakleaf Plantation (the Clay County side). Great neighborhoods, great schools, close to shopping and restaurants, and not a bad drive to the Westside. According to Google Maps, your drive from Oakleaf to Beaver is about 12 miles, depending on where in Oakleaf you'd live and where on Beaver he'd work. Your drive to Emerson would be about 25 miles.

Mandarin isn't a bad choice, either. If you lived there (I picked Sunbeam Rd. just as a ballpark starting point), his drive to work would be about 25 miles (again, depends on where you live in Mandarin and exactly where on Beaver he'd work). Your drive would be shorter, about 8 - 10 miles.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:20 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,760 times
There's also some nice developments off of Blanding and north of 295 that you may want to check out. I'm thinking of one sub in particular that should have some rentals, it's called Ortega Bluffs. But there are a lot of other ones around. Your commute would not be long at all.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the suggestions Keep them coming...DH wants to move next week.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:31 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,124 times
Would you be opposed to renting a condo or townhome? There are several in your price range in Mandarin's Bartram Park area. Very nice area. Plenty of yard & sidewalks and big boxes for a family your size. Commute would be a little head-achey after 5:00 though. St.Aug RD is nothing pretty at that time. Citi Financial's MEGA CAMPUS is back there, as well as Baptist Med (I'm sure you can paint that picture in your head?). But, the Avenues mall would be close to you!

If you are interested, you need only drive back there and take your pick. There are several realestate signs posted, and I believe there is a sales center/ realestate office in the shopping center at the entrance of Bartram Park. You are better just driving back there, though.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:10 AM

We've lived in a townhome before we came here. I have no problem doing that again. I'm going out driving today so I'll make sure to go that way. I just need to set my TomTom and off I go. Thanks for the great suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
Would you be opposed to renting a condo or townhome? There are several in your price range in Mandarin's Bartram Park area. Very nice area. Plenty of yard & sidewalks and big boxes for a family your size. Commute would be a little head-achey after 5:00 though. St.Aug RD is nothing pretty at that time. Citi Financial's MEGA CAMPUS is back there, as well as Baptist Med (I'm sure you can paint that picture in your head?). But, the Avenues mall would be close to you!

If you are interested, you need only drive back there and take your pick. There are several realestate signs posted, and I believe there is a sales center/ realestate office in the shopping center at the entrance of Bartram Park. You are better just driving back there, though.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:46 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfam7 View Post
Went to Atlantic Beach and passed by Sutton Lakes. I remember Riveree saying that was an area I should check out. We loved it!!! It is close to shopping and reminded me of where I moved from. Except one difference, all the people outside actually waved to us. We would like to rent a home in that area, but how would the drive be for him? Currently, we are staying with family in Callahan. It is really boring here.

Approximately, how long would the commute be for him in the mornings if he leaves for work at 6:30? He drives a company vehicle so the gas isn't a problem. He just needs to live w/i 25 miles of his job.

I interviewed for a position at the Shands Clinic off Emerson St. Would it be a long commute for me also?

If so, what is another area you would recommend that will be just as good. We are looking for a 3 or 4 bedroom house to rent. The rent no more than $1200 month. Need decent schools and safe place for the kids.

Thanks for answering.
Hi there!

If your husband works on West Beaver Street, living in Sutton Lakes could be perfect because he could use 9A to commute to work and it would be a smooth commute.

If your husband works on Beaver Street downtown, then using 9A would not make sense and he'd have to work his way through downtown itself getting to work....not as smooth of a commute...but still workable

You can always DM me and I can help you figure out what kind of commute he'd be looking at.

For your commute to Emerson, you'd be fine - 30 minutes tops and probably less once you're familiar with the route.

So Sutton Lakes could work quite well, it all depends on where you need to go .

Once you're done with the workday, you'd like living in Sutton Lakes because you have all you need right there, 5 or 10 minutes outside you door you can do all your shopping, errands, restaurants, etc. On the weekends, it's 10 minutes to the beach.

Hopefully you'll have a little more time to explore the Westside and the Southside and see what works better for you.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:48 PM

13 posts, read 36,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninclay View Post
Definitely do NOT live on the Westside, especially since you have kids!
Why do you say that? I live in Cedar Hills and love it. Part of my family lives off Blair Rd and love that. Another part of my family lives in a not-too-white-trash part of Marietta and they love it there too. None of us have had any problems. For the kids, you have the pool at the equestrian center out on Normandy, and tons of parks in Riverside or at Cecil, and we all have quick access to I-10 and I-295 to get anywhere else (like, to Beaver St.). My husband and I are huge fans of Cedar Hills because we are so close to everything (we can walk to our dentist, and the grocery store, etc.!) but have no crime. I don't know how the schools are though. My niece and nephew are too young for school. I imagine the schools suck though since they are in Duval County...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville