Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 02:42 PM

52 posts, read 85,902 times

Advertisements

So months ago, I posted questions asking about Nocatee. I moved here six months ago and so now I would like to answer some questions for others. I am a stay at home mom with four children that are in different schools. I also have a special needs child.

We love it here. We love going to the beach, to the splash water park, the events and all the friends we've made. We are renting and building a house now ( started last month) and I am glad we did it that way because I would not have known then what I now about where to build. I find the people here lovely and haven't run into anyway rude or stuck up yet.

Are there cons? Yes but none that would deter me from living here. I wish micklers beach had more parking on the weekends. The houses are really close together for the most part so you have to appreciate neighbors and being able to hear them. However living near the beach trumps these things for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 05:37 PM

43 posts, read 80,350 times
Thanks for posting! We want to move to Nocatee from the Philadelphia area. We came down over spring break and loved it. The only problem, is we like Coastal Oaks the best and their build time is 9-10 months. We wanted our kids in for the new school year so now we're not sure what to do. Where did you decide to build? We will have two middle school aged girls next year. If we buy or build in something zoned for VRA, I'm a little concerned as we don't have K-8 schools here and I feel they won't be able to offer all the classes and activities of a traditional middle school. Do any of your children attend there? How do you like the other schools? Thank you!

Old 04-30-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffettjd View Post
Thanks for posting! We want to move to Nocatee from the Philadelphia area. We came down over spring break and loved it. The only problem, is we like Coastal Oaks the best and their build time is 9-10 months. We wanted our kids in for the new school year so now we're not sure what to do. Where did you decide to build? We will have two middle school aged girls next year. If we buy or build in something zoned for VRA, I'm a little concerned as we don't have K-8 schools here and I feel they won't be able to offer all the classes and activities of a traditional middle school. Do any of your children attend there? How do you like the other schools? Thank you!

1) coastal oaks does have a 9-10 month build time.

2) We originally wanted to build there as well but now we are building in town center ( addison park). We also looked at the twenty mile crossing but they have square foot restrictions ( at least DW does) and the plan we wanted was not allowed due to being too large.

3) rent a house for the new school year. Town center goes to ope / landrum as does coastal oaks and twenty mile. In the enclave, or lakeside or the village at twenty mile you will have your best bet renting because they are older / more established and houses have been there for a few years. You will need an agent to help find a rental as most are MLS listed here. I have a good realtor who lives here in nocatee if you need one.

4) VRA is k-8 but they arre building a new school in twenty mile that we suspect most of if not all will be rezoned for in 2018. It will also be a k-8 as all the newer schools in st johns county are. Currently our kids are at VRA and I do prefer ope/landrum for other reasons that I would be glad to discuss via PM. They do offer all the activities and classes of a traditional middle school so that isn't the issue.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 7,988 times
Hello! Thanks for sharing your experience, we are looking to move to the area from Virginia this summer. Just for background: we have two children - an 8 year old boy and an 11 year old daughter. We have been considering a buying a home (resale) in Coastal Oaks because of the amenities and I don't think that our timeline would work for new construction. So recently we have started looking in some of the town center neighborhoods such as Addison and Lakeside - how are those neighborhoods for noise and having many kids? Our kids are in private school now and one of the things we are really looking for is finally being able to live in the are where they can play with the kids they go to school with. I would love it if you could share your opinion or info about the different schools - I am new to the forum and don't know how to PM you, but if you have time to message me, I would appreciate any thoughts you might have. Thank you!

Old 05-04-2017, 02:44 PM

We decided to look in Twenty Mile - for quick deliveries or to build in the Outlook. David Weekly and Providence have great floor plans, good reputations, and a 6 month build time. Although it's not gated like C.O., 20M does have parks and a pool, and a really cute dog park. I have read several places that CO and 20M have the most kids - not sure if it's accurate. I also love that the new school will be so close, possibly walkable. We are excited and hope to make a final decision on something soon. We plan to rent just for a few months until the home is ready. Haven't looked into it yet though. I also have a 10 year old girl (5th grade) and one in 7th. Good luck.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:46 PM

661 posts, read 868,220 times
the new K-8 school will open for the 2018-2019 school year. At the back of 'The Crossing at 20 Mile' neighborhood, there will be a pathway to walk, bike, or golf cart your way to and from the school.

Not sure if CO and 20 mile have the most kids. I am pretty sure Greenleaf can rival any neighborhood in that regard. Just drive past on a school day morning and see all the sidewalk traffic.

Go with David Weekley if you can. Don't make it deal breaker but...

Old 05-04-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlynf View Post
Hello! Thanks for sharing your experience, we are looking to move to the area from Virginia this summer. Just for background: we have two children - an 8 year old boy and an 11 year old daughter. We have been considering a buying a home (resale) in Coastal Oaks because of the amenities and I don't think that our timeline would work for new construction. So recently we have started looking in some of the town center neighborhoods such as Addison and Lakeside - how are those neighborhoods for noise and having many kids? Our kids are in private school now and one of the things we are really looking for is finally being able to live in the are where they can play with the kids they go to school with. I would love it if you could share your opinion or info about the different schools - I am new to the forum and don't know how to PM you, but if you have time to message me, I would appreciate any thoughts you might have. Thank you!
I have friends in addison park and lakeside. The most kids are probably in Greenleaf, although I don't have exact numbers I would bet on it. There are plenty of kids in other neighborhoods as well, it just seems as almost everyhouse in greenleaf has kids in it. In the newer parts of lakeside and addison I am not aware of any noise issues. I know in greenleaf you can hear the train and 1 depending on where your house is. Some of the back lots in 20 mile, with the preserve are super quiet ( At least for now).

Here are my pros and cons of the neighborhoods. These are my opinions so someone else may have completely different opinions. These are in no particular order.

1) Brookwood ( built out) - Pro, quieter, tucked back. Con - it's in duval

2) The Palms Pro- dreamfinders houses seem nice ( going by looks) , Con - It's in duval

3) Cypress Trails (built out) - Pro- Their own pool and it has a cool diving thing in the middle. Con- It's in duval.

4) Twenty Mile - Pro - St johns county schools, wide variety and price range of homes, neighbors like to be social, getting new school, has own pool and dog park. Also The end of the plan dumps directly onto Nocatee parkway. Con- Not super close to splash or town center for walking or golf cart purposes, It's pretty large though it's broken into sub-segments. More expensive than other neighborhoods for same plans.
- side note, the ranch dostie model is on house of turquoise right now. LOVE this model.

5) Addison Park / Lakeside / Enclave / Sienna Pro - Walking distance to stores, restaurants and starbucks. walking distance to splash. Key west vibe around lakeside. St johns schools. Cons - tight lots and streets, on some cross roads traffic ( speeding) would be a concern ( though most houses do not face busier streets)

6) coastal oaks - Pros - Beautiful landscaping, my favorite for this by far. Wide variety of house options. St johns schools. Gated. Cons- It is kind of far back, especially once you get through the gate depending on where your house is. Also the monthly HOA is higher because of the gate.

7) willowcove. (built out) Pros- Great location, nice sized lots and houses. St johns schools. Cons- "rumors" that these kids are going to be rezoned from VRA to 20 mile. I have zero clue if this is accurate or not. No new houses, so if you cannot find what you like then you have to remodel. If I could pick any neighborhood I would pick this one. ( note I do not live here, so the people could be cranky but hey it's pretty )

8) Tidewater - Condos, I really know nothing about them.

9) Del Webb - st johns over 55 community. I have heard it's amazing and they have parties all the time. I have also heard it's cliquey and if you are not in it is no fun. I am not 55 and they won't let me in so other than what I have heard I have no thoughts.

10) Artisan lakes - duval over 55 community. Again not much to say except the models are pimped out. Looks really pretty.

11) greenleaf lakes / village / preserve - Pros - St johns county, walking distance to k-8, tons and tons of kids, nice playgrounds. The preserve section is gated. Con/ Pro - Us 1 has a back entrance here ( some people would call this a pro or con, so depends on what you prefer) Cons- Teens causing damage and other minor property crimes, cop who tickets everyone, random neighborhood bickering, farther away from town center and splash.

12) Austin Park ( built out) - Pros St johns county, walking distance to VRA, can find good deals on houses. People who live here seem to enjoy it. Cons - some of the oldest houses so they might need a little work, sometimes HOA seems a little lax. A neighborhood called walden chase is behind this one, and some trouble makers from that neighborhood tend to hop the fence into austin park. I heard AP is going to fix the broken fence to address this.

13) Kelly Pointe ( built out) - Pros -nice quiet small neighborhood where good deals can be found. St johns schools, people seem happy here. Cons doesn't have some of the amenities of other plans and is tucked back away from things ( across from twenty mile)

Old 05-05-2017, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the great info! Totally agree about hearing the Greenleaf area has TONS of kids. Heard it's the best place to be for Halloween, lol. We know 20M is farther but are hoping they will eventually add some paths/trails that will cut through to the Town Center and Splash. Also hopefully farther away means quieter.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 7,988 times
Yes thank you so much for the info! We have made about 3 trips to the area, but they are only about a week so you worry you aren't always getting the full picture. I appreciate getting opinions from new residents!

Old 06-24-2017, 06:04 AM

2 posts, read 7,670 times
Default Greenleaf nocatee

I am moving to Greenleaf next month from Long Island!!!!!!! Can't wait I have 3 kids 1 starting hs and the other 2 will go to VRA. Does anyone know of doctors in the area that take GHI/Emblem health insurance? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville