Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 08:20 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
^^^^^ Are there Cuban Tree Frogs in the Jacksonville area? Do you mean Green Tree Frogs?
YES, we absolutely have Cuban Tree Frogs in our area. I'm very familiar with them. I'm hoping we have some really good freezes this winter season, so they will all die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 08:36 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
YES, we absolutely have Cuban Tree Frogs in our area. I'm very familiar with them. I'm hoping we have some really good freezes this winter season, so they will all die.
They will eradicate the native frogs that are so wonderful there! This is disaster to learn...thanks for your answer!

Old 11-16-2017, 07:24 AM

442 posts, read 496,664 times
Quick question - we are contemplating a move to the Jacksonville or St. Augustine area. We are actually flying down to visit/scope it out all out this weekend! Fingers crossed that this might be the last winter I have to deal with snow!

Anyway, we are looking exclusively at condos - we have owned only houses with huge yards over our married life and we are DONE with yard work.

That being said...are ants/snakes/palmetto bugs a big deal in condos? I mean, I assume they are treated pretty regularly by the association? If I discover any of these things...who is responsible for treating?

Just random musings as I pack my shorts and tee shirts and sandals for my getaway this weekend! Cannot wait!

(Also, I know you guys are having a "cold snap"...the temperature at which will STILL be in tropical range for this northern Minnesota gal... )

Old 11-16-2017, 07:53 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
<sigh>

Old 11-16-2017, 08:20 AM

8,950 posts, read 20,372,776 times
For the ants, we use Terro Ant Kill from Home Depot.

For the Palamento bugs, cousins to the cockroach, we see one, we try to run it down and kill it. These bus are huge and fast runners. A lot of people really freak out when they see them, thinking they are roaches. “I pay this much for rent/lease or mortgage and have cockroaches?” People can get pissed when they see them. One lady in our complex did and moved back up north. “No way am I going to continue living here” she told someone on her cell phone

Old 11-16-2017, 10:40 AM

104 posts, read 122,541 times
My condo Assoc. treat the outside and provide indoor treatment if you need it. I've been here 4 years and maybe have had 12 Palamento's in that time. It beats the constant influx of mice I put up with up north.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:14 AM

370 posts, read 325,627 times
Roaches are a fact of life down here. You can try treating for them, but inevitably, they will get inside your house. All you can do is have a shoe or flip flop nearby to crush them.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:01 PM

I am not worried about the roaches or ants - I know they are a fact of life where there is no hibernating/dying off season. Just wasn't sure if INSIDE pest elimination treatment in a condo is on the association or the owner.

Obviously, a shoe works...

I will gladly trade nostrils freezing shut for some bigazz roaches!

(just keep the snakes to a minimum, please!)

Old 11-16-2017, 03:27 PM

8,950 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaSoup View Post
I am not worried about the roaches or ants - I know they are a fact of life where there is no hibernating/dying off season. Just wasn't sure if INSIDE pest elimination treatment in a condo is on the association or the owner.

Obviously, a shoe works...

I will gladly trade nostrils freezing shut for some bigazz roaches!

(just keep the snakes to a minimum, please!)
Well, we are different. After living here for 9 years, we are making plans on going back to frozen nostrils! 😊

Old 11-17-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, we are different. After living here for 9 years, we are making plans on going back to frozen nostrils! 😊

Honestly, I am ok with the frozen nostrils and cold weather. I am just over the "having to shovel before I can get out of my driveway". The "getting up 2 hours early to do the shoveling so I make it to work on time" And the "kids losing their gloves and hats AGAIN!"

I think we will end up doing a split thing at some point - a cabin in northern MN and a condo in FL or somewhere warmer in the winter. Retirement is only 15ish years away..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville