Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 06:54 PM

51 posts, read 184,385 times

Advertisements

Hey, just thought I'd add my 2 cents...
I think La Nopelera is pretty average...it's bland and not authentic.
I love Rosy's. I think she does a good job pulling off some of my favorite Mexican dishes, although I've had it a little too salty a few times.

Pepe's is good too, but when i went the beans and rice were cold. I think they are pretty authentic though in flavor.

I love Mexican food and have tried a lot of places here and been disappointed. I'm from California though and pretty much grew up with Mexicans and Mexican food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 08:29 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
I just tried the La Nopolera at Baymeadows & Phillips Hgwy (next door to Chicago Pizza) and it was a nice one, pretty hopping too and we went late at night .

Old 03-08-2010, 11:29 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times
just saw this thread and thought I would add instead of starting another one.

I thought La Nopalera was just average, Don juan is more like S. California food than Mexican, I did find Rosy's to be pretty good, but nothing mindblowing.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:19 PM

53 posts, read 212,688 times
Any Tex-Mex around?

Old 03-09-2010, 12:12 PM

627 posts, read 1,296,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debihobbs View Post
Just moved to Jax on March 3rd, from KC Missouri.

I don't have to worry about missing my BBQ, I can cook that myself.

Anyone tell me a good Mexican Food restaurant anywhere in town?

I live south, Bartram area, but willing to drive for good mex food.

Thanks.

Debi
I know this an old post but I ate at Hola, on Main St and Phelps and it was excellent! Fresh home made tortillas and salsa, great guacamole... everything I ate was perfect. I spoke with the cooks for a while and they said the place gets packed during lunch and dinner. The service is nice too. I know Mexican food and this place gets it right.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:43 PM

530 posts, read 1,351,792 times
If you can cook good bbq like in KC, can u cook it for me ? We lived in KC for 5 years or so, and I miss the good bbq. Where were u in KC? We lived in NW Shawnee near the end of Shawnee Mission Parkway. As far as my experience with mexican here, I just stick with Chipotle. No, not authentic at all but good, clean and I know they aren't sneaking in any cat meat.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:49 PM

238 posts, read 888,070 times
Okay I'm from Texas and we Texans know great mexican food! There are very few good mexican restaurants here. La Nopalera ...nope, no way, not even close. Here's the 3 best places we have found so far...Rosy's in Mandarin (just like Sally Rose said above). There's also a good place in Fernandina Beach (right in the heart of the downtown area) but can't remember the name. And...one of our favorites....Mr. Taco on Bowden. Yep, believe it or not. Everywhere else we've been is either poor quality, fake Mexican, new fangled or just plain yuck.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:45 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyinJAX View Post
Okay I'm from Texas and we Texans know great mexican food!
Tex-Mex happens to be my favorite kind of Mexican food, but one thing I learned (after many, many years in Colorado, and countless visits to relatives in S. California) is that EVERYONE has a different idea of what good Mexican food is. I've only been to Mexico once and I wasn't exactly off the beaten path. I like flavor but I like heat, too. The most important thing to me is fresh ingredients.
Since moving down south, I've noticed the ubiquitous cheese dipping sauce (queso dip). Never had that in Denver. I just like salsa, preferably with a bit of cilantro.
Quote:
There's also a good place in Fernandina Beach (right in the heart of the downtown area) but can't remember the name. .
That would be Pablo's. I love their outdoor patio. For me Pablo's has really good margaritas but the restaurant offers more atmosphere than flavor.
Pablo's is fairly pricey. (It used to be that we would go out for Mexican when we wanted a good but inexpensive meal.) I'm sure their downtown rent is high.
We also have Pepper's but they are mediocre if not terrible.
There is another, fairly new Mexican restaurant on A1A in Yulee, called San Jose.
Here is a review: Pie's Plate (http://piesplate.com/2009/12/22/review-of-san-jose-mexican-grill-in-yulee-fl/ - broken link)
I have only eaten there once but I liked it; the ingredients really did seem *fresh* but the the check was not ridiculously expensive.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:33 AM

154 posts, read 645,849 times
I like Tijuana Flats.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:59 AM

924 posts, read 2,604,571 times
I don't think Tijuana flats counts as Mexican food...

The best mexican food I have had in Jax is from El Mariachi on Blanding north of 103rd...

La Nopalera was just ok to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville