Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 11:13 AM

5,202 posts, read 6,142,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
I agree with the concept of not "mimicking the place you came from" In Vermont there is a saying, which unfortunately is a bumper sticker now. ( Don't Jersey Vermont ) this is the same issue we are speaking of here. Vermonters worried that all the New Jersey people moving in want trac homes, strip malls and paved roads. Cows be damned! I am certainly on-board with a very general concept of that. However.....that being said, just because a place you moved to has been doing something wrong or poorly for years before you arrived does not mean you should not try to alter it. If you arrive in a place and the school systems are failing because they are underfunded, or the road is full of litter, that paper mill you accept, because it was here, is doing something to endanger people....Sorry I am going to say something and maybe cause a change. When I first moved here there was someone in town suggesting we tear down the Fernandina post office because it would be expensive to fix. Because I am new here should I not voice an opinion on building a giant new hotel on the beach? Should the Fernandina waterfront be left a pile of wrecked abandon old buildings? I don't personally think so but I know lots of locals who would be happy to leave things as they are. But things are never as they were, especially in Florida. That broken waterfront used to be a vibrant industrial hub and fishing port. That is all gone now, it is not coming back. Things change, people need to talk about what all the people who currently live in a location at that moment think would make things better. Trying to exclude someone just because they arrived from somewhere else has never worked.
You are right, I agree with what you are saying but at the same token our changes have come a bit too rapidly and our locals are quickly being replaced by those moving here that have no qualms about paying much higher home prices and higher taxes in order to live in a very affluent resort style community and they are becoming a force to be reckoned with as far as local politics.

The locals want to keep things as they were are just trying to hang on to what they have without being priced out.

We have gained 400 plus new hotel rooms in the last year, lost an old lumber yard, church and rental business to high end condos.

It’s great to work together as a community but we have come to the point where a good amount of the old community (born and raised here) are disappearing quickly.

Merry Christmas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 01:08 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay13579 View Post
My wife and I just bought a home in St. John’s County. We are leaving “Rhude Island” aka Rhode Island. We will be escaping high taxes, poor infrastructure, high housing costs, unfriendly people, cold weather, old dilapidated school buildings/playgrounds/parks etc.
Anyone else from RI/MA/CT area heading to St. John’s area?

Any suggestions, hints, tips, or tricks for our new home area? We will be close to the St. John’s River with younger kids. I will commute to Jax. We enjoy biking, walking, fishing, shooting, etc. We are also looking for a good barn for horse boarding if anyone knows of one nearby?

Thanks all
My suggestion is don’t vote Democrat once you arrive here. Don not vote for the same garbage here that made you flee Rhode Island in the first place

Old 12-25-2020, 01:11 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well I'm sorry but the public schools up north are FAR better than they are in Florida. Duval public schools are a total embarrassment. So yes, I absolutely want Duval schools to be like how they are up north. Which is why I'm happy to pay more taxes for the betterment of the school system here. They are severely underfunded.

The northern states are not hell holes by any objective measure. They have excellent education and healthcare, are much wealthier, healthier and much better gun laws and much less gun deaths as a result. These are positive things. Why wouldn't I want Florida to adopt the same good policies and conditions as those states? Let's keep the good things about Florida and change the bad things. I care about Florida.
If the northeast states are so great ( I know you came here from Connecticut), then why did you move here ? It is people like you who are the poster children for the “Don’t NY My Florida” bumper stickers, etc.

Seriously. Stop virtue signaling about how we are suppose to live and how Florida is suppose to be run.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:05 PM

1,067 posts, read 623,945 times
Quote:
Well I'm sorry but the public schools up north are FAR better than they are in Florida. Duval public schools are a total embarrassment. So yes, I absolutely want Duval schools to be like how they are up north. Which is why I'm happy to pay more taxes for the betterment of the school system here. They are severely underfunded.

The northern states are not hell holes by any objective measure. They have excellent education and healthcare, are much wealthier, healthier and much better gun laws and much less gun deaths as a result. These are positive things. Why wouldn't I want Florida to adopt the same good policies and conditions as those states? Let's keep the good things about Florida and change the bad things. I care about Florida.
Wrong. You can find good and bad schools on the north, just like you can find good and bad schools in Florida. You just have to target specific areas if your goal is to find the best school district. Same goes for healthcare and low crime areas.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:54 AM

98 posts, read 134,928 times
“Go back where you came from” has become the default comment on social media any time you make reference to coming here from up north. I think it’s worse now than ever. Fortunately, in day to day interactions with people, friendliness is still the norm in Fernandina.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:22 PM

332 posts, read 217,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay13579 View Post
My wife and I just bought a home in St. John’s County. We are leaving “Rhude Island” aka Rhode Island. We will be escaping high taxes, poor infrastructure, high housing costs, unfriendly people, cold weather, old dilapidated school buildings/playgrounds/parks etc.
Anyone else from RI/MA/CT area heading to St. John’s area?

Any suggestions, hints, tips, or tricks for our new home area? We will be close to the St. John’s River with younger kids. I will commute to Jax. We enjoy biking, walking, fishing, shooting, etc. We are also looking for a good barn for horse boarding if anyone knows of one nearby?

Thanks all
I moved from Connecticut to Central Florida in 2007. For me it was an enormous culture shock. It was like I moved to a different country. Overall I've had success in Florida and I enjoy living here, but I still miss Connecticut. I might move back one day.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObedientSir View Post
I moved from Connecticut to Central Florida in 2007. For me it was an enormous culture shock. It was like I moved to a different country. Overall I've had success in Florida and I enjoy living here, but I still miss Connecticut. I might move back one day.
I lived in Connecticut for 3 years. Other than snow, ice and high COL, what are you missing out on?

Old 12-31-2020, 09:06 PM

332 posts, read 217,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
I lived in Connecticut for 3 years. Other than snow, ice and high COL, what are you missing out on?
Which town in CT did you live? That could explain a lot. I lived in a middle class suburb in Central CT for 19 years, and I enjoyed living there. I love the seasons, the architecture, the history and culture and the scenic nature. I'd take rolling hills with apple orchards over spanish moss and swamps any day. But to be fair, some of it is nostalgic and illogical. I enjoy living in Florida too and I've found success here that I may not have found in CT so I'm glad I've lived in Florida. I just might want to move back to CT one day.

Old 01-01-2021, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObedientSir View Post
Which town in CT did you live? That could explain a lot. I lived in a middle class suburb in Central CT for 19 years, and I enjoyed living there. I love the seasons, the architecture, the history and culture and the scenic nature. I'd take rolling hills with apple orchards over spanish moss and swamps any day. But to be fair, some of it is nostalgic and illogical. I enjoy living in Florida too and I've found success here that I may not have found in CT so I'm glad I've lived in Florida. I just might want to move back to CT one day.
Lived in Madison, near the shore. I prefer the Florida beaches.

Old 01-02-2021, 04:29 PM

617 posts, read 538,472 times
Quote:
Sorry, but in the United States, anyone is allowed to move anywhere and vote however they want. Three years ago, I moved to Jacksonville from Connecticut and absolutely vote straight Dem in every election here just like I did in Connecticut. I am delighted to see that Duval County turned blue finally and we just passed a sales tax increase for the betterment of our public schools.

Sales tax does nothing for public schools, they are financed by your prop. taxes. The sales tax money from the increase will likely land in some bureaucrat deep pockets, as it usually works out in the US with taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville