Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 08:34 PM

28 posts, read 28,770 times

Advertisements

New construction tip: Move out of any home built in Florida by year 7-10! It's that simple. Between planned obsolescence, changes in design trends and the way they throw new homes together these days, like a car with a lot of miles on it, timing when to get out vs replacing the roof, appliances, AC unit, water tank and the dreaded slab leak..I think 7-10 years is the magic number. Unless you're Bob Vila or a masochist of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 10:34 AM

46 posts, read 59,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
A simple Google search will literally produce 100's of results that tell you a minimum 7 days. Any reader on here is free to call any concrete company of their choice and get their advice directly from them if they desire. Another Google expert. Go right ahead make the calls.

The weight of the framing is enormous on large custom homes, yes, maybe not as much on smaller entry level homes, which is suspect is what you build due to the seemingly offensive tone you took to my post. How much is "enormous"? Do you realize the walls are located on thickened areas on the slab and these areas are designed to carry the added weight of the walls?

In fact, I'm guessing in those 40 years, you've built many homes and didn't let the concrete cure fully, and you've had to tell many a homebuyer that the cracks in their slabs were "normal." Actually no NEVER had to do that. Keep guessing maybe one day you'll get it right

I seriously doubt you are an engineer of any kind, as all the engineers that I know tend to overdevelop and go to extremes when "engineering." You on the other hand, come here right out of the gate and declare unequivocally that my post is "hogwash," and then proceed to promote doing the bare minimum and everything will be ok. And you got your degree from Google University?

Ok, Mr. Engineer. Carry on with your bad self covering up those slab cracks with flooring, lol. Again minor cracks do not indicate that there are problems with the concrete or the slab. There an old saying in construction; "The sun rises in the east and concrete cracks"

To the rest of my beautiful audience here on City Data....this is a clear example of why I promote heavily using a private inspector on your new home construction!
Of course should and get them to look at the cracks in the sab for you.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy3n8 View Post
It figures an engineer would call hogwash. My husband has been in the concrete business for 30+ years. We are in the process of buying a new construction home and he's already asking these kinds of questions. And he's said the same thing - he does NOT want any vehicles on the driveway for 7 days after it's poured.
Vehicles on the driveway are a totally different situation that wall framing on a slab. Car and trucks have point loads and weigh more than a framed wall. I would agree with your husband.

Old 12-11-2021, 09:32 PM

6 posts, read 3,569 times
Question Where to find a competent new construction private inspector

I just registered today, 12-11-2021 to city-data.com and have not learned yet how to post a new thread. Wife and I trying to relocate from south Florida to the Middleburg, Florida area and are looking to purchase a new home being built by $$$$$$ Homes builder and/or $$$$$$ builder and after reading dozens and dozens of 1-2 star (very bad) reviews from homeowners who purchased their homes and within a year or so wanted to leave their disaster/poor quality homes and wrote horror stories about both builders, with reviews dated for many consecutive years to the present in 2021, as if these two builders appear to not learn any lessons from their continued extremely poor quality and very poor and careless workmanship, as if the city inspectors did not care at all that these two builders keep constructing bad quality home builds, even with so many bad reviews and complaints to the local Better Business Bureaus and the city inspectors turning a blind eye to the errors and keep passing the inspections with negligent and even dangerous construction standards. Is it feasible, if not too expensive, to hire a private construction inspector/expert, to weekly inspect everything being built on our house and write for us a detailed report of what is incorrectly being built, for us to present on a weekly basis to city officials and city inspectors and present it to the builder we choose to build our new house, so they would correct the mistakes and deficiencies??? Thank you for your guidance and God Bless America. What is the proper title of such a competent private new home construction inspector and how to find him/her in the Jacksonville/Middleburg, FL area?

Last edited by Gutierrc; 12-11-2021 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: removed name of builders

Old 12-13-2021, 07:39 AM

225 posts, read 178,270 times
just Google certified house inspectors, or you can hire an engineer for structural issues and an electrical engineer for wirings, box, etc.

Not going to be cheap

Old 12-14-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutierrc View Post
I just registered today, 12-11-2021 to city-data.com and have not learned yet how to post a new thread. Wife and I trying to relocate from south Florida to the Middleburg, Florida area and are looking to purchase a new home being built by $$$$$$ Homes builder and/or $$$$$$ builder and after reading dozens and dozens of 1-2 star (very bad) reviews from homeowners who purchased their homes and within a year or so wanted to leave their disaster/poor quality homes and wrote horror stories about both builders, with reviews dated for many consecutive years to the present in 2021, as if these two builders appear to not learn any lessons from their continued extremely poor quality and very poor and careless workmanship, as if the city inspectors did not care at all that these two builders keep constructing bad quality home builds, even with so many bad reviews and complaints to the local Better Business Bureaus and the city inspectors turning a blind eye to the errors and keep passing the inspections with negligent and even dangerous construction standards. Is it feasible, if not too expensive, to hire a private construction inspector/expert, to weekly inspect everything being built on our house and write for us a detailed report of what is incorrectly being built, for us to present on a weekly basis to city officials and city inspectors and present it to the builder we choose to build our new house, so they would correct the mistakes and deficiencies??? Thank you for your guidance and God Bless America. What is the proper title of such a competent private new home construction inspector and how to find him/her in the Jacksonville/Middleburg, FL area?
Building inspectors enforce codes requirements not what a home owner or private inspector may believe is a workmanship or quality issue. Use a licensed contractor and if you not happy sue him and file a complaint with the licensing board.

Old 12-14-2021, 01:36 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,245,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutierrc View Post
Try here:

https://biltriteqa.com/

That should be much more helpful than suing a builder and going through that huge hassle.

Old 08-31-2022, 05:26 AM

5 posts, read 1,661 times
A new build home is a little distinct from a resale home, which is one that another person has already purchased. You'll be required to be acquainted with a few insider tips and understand how the process functions. Some helpful suggestions for a new construction home are just the beginning of your journey toward the dream new construction home.

Carefully Select the Builder
Hire a Lawyer
Investigate the Area
Don't Overbuild
Don't Select a Builder Based Solely on Bid
Hire Locally
Build for Your Future
Don't Go With the Latest and Greatest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: