Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 06:44 AM

486 posts, read 515,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Well Ian looks like it might be a repeat of a storm we had in the early 2000’s. That storm which I can’t remember it’s name came right across Florida following I-4. We had pretty intense 70 MPH winds but luckily no tornados.

Hopefully this will play out with much needed rain without the flooding!

Stay safe everyone!
That was Charley, right? In 2004? That was a very compact storm... its too soon to see how this one develops. Charley was also a Cat 4, so who knows. I am getting my yard ready this weekend, cleaning out the garage to put both cars in, taking patio furniture in. Pretty much planning on a Tropical Storm in our area, but better to be safe. Either way it is forcing me to do some well needed cleaning and decluttering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2022, 07:01 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,148,490 times
Early birds are starting to fill up gas cans and prepping their generators in my neighborhood. I know Costco's had some distribution issues with Zephyrhills water so they only had 8 cases left yesterday at St Johns Town Center and none from what I understand at the new location near Buccees. Kirkland brand water was going quick yesterday as a result and this is just from normal course of business. I think most are still oblivious but I imagine it'll be a madhouse this weekend, Mon and Tues at Costco if the forecast stays the course. I remember the long lines just to get into Costco (well before store open) for Matthew and Irma and then another line wrapping inside for water. I've learned my lesson and will not be anywhere near that place until the storm passes.

Not to get ahead of myself but if this does come our way on Wed/Thu, they'll likely issue an evacuation for zones A & B by Monday. This is somewhat like Irma where it came in from the gulf and stayed west of our area. They issued an evacuation approximately 72 hours before it hit. Stay safe everyone!

Last edited by Ivan Putski; 09-24-2022 at 07:09 AM..

Old 09-24-2022, 07:16 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
When we lived in Jacksonville, Hurricane Mathew’s outter bands were right off the coast of both Jacksonville Beach and St. Augustine Beach. St. Augustine’s Intracoastal area really got flooded! The Weather Channel was right there reporting. On the Southside of Jacksonville, close to The Avenues Mall, we got some wind and a lot of rain.

Hurricane Irma came pretty much right over us. Electricity off for a couple of days, numerous trees downed and considerable flooding. It was pretty bad! We left Florida and returned to Colorado in 2019. 10 1/2 years there was enough for us!

Because of our location, no evacuation.

Old 09-25-2022, 08:22 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Looks like with each passing hour the storm heads a little bit more west so hopefully rain and a little bit of wind is all we will see. Never really know until a day out though.

This has also given us a little kick in the but to clean up a few items around the house.

Old 09-26-2022, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Looks like with each passing hour the storm heads a little bit more west so hopefully rain and a little bit of wind is all we will see. Never really know until a day out though.

This has also given us a little kick in the but to clean up a few items around the house.
Well this is turning into a something I guess we really need to watch. From inching west it has altered back east. Still a day or two to get a final call but this looks to be the closest we have come to a hurricane of this intensity in the 33 years we have been here. My main concern is the winds, we were on the edge of a small tornado during the last storm and had some roof and property damage form that.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:18 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Yes, models have it pushing back East as of this a.m. Looks like Jax and the surrounding areas will be affected fairly directly, although going over the state should dissipate the intensity quite a bit to make it just a very heavy rain storm with high winds (50+mph). One of the many reasons I'm thankful to live on this side of FL vs. the Gulf Coast.

If you're going to the store today for water and such, you're already too late.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Yes, models have it pushing back East as of this a.m. Looks like Jax and the surrounding areas will be affected fairly directly, although going over the state should dissipate the intensity quite a bit to make it just a very heavy rain storm with high winds (50+mph). One of the many reasons I'm thankful to live on this side of FL vs. the Gulf Coast.

If you're going to the store today for water and such, you're already too late.
We mostly drink bottled water year round so we always have a few extra flats and an extra bottle of propane. Just trying to make sure we have nothing loose outside that could become UFO’s.

As mentioned it is the wind we had problems with in the past.

Stay safe

Old 09-27-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
That was Charley, right? In 2004? That was a very compact storm... its too soon to see how this one develops. Charley was also a Cat 4, so who knows. I am getting my yard ready this weekend, cleaning out the garage to put both cars in, taking patio furniture in. Pretty much planning on a Tropical Storm in our area, but better to be safe. Either way it is forcing me to do some well needed cleaning and decluttering.
Ironically they are now saying that this storm is mirroring Hurricane Charley now:

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/ia...ne-charley.amp

Old 09-27-2022, 09:55 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I was at a local Publix right after opening today (7:15am ish) and they had a pallet of water and plenty of other things in stock. I think the biggest concern from this storm will be flooding since it's such a slow moving storm. I doubt there will be much wind damage from Ian from everything I'm hearing.

Old 09-27-2022, 10:23 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,148,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I was at a local Publix right after opening today (7:15am ish) and they had a pallet of water and plenty of other things in stock. I think the biggest concern from this storm will be flooding since it's such a slow moving storm. I doubt there will be much wind damage from Ian from everything I'm hearing.
All of our Publix in PVB were stocked too. Went to Costco today and they had plenty of water also (2 case limit).

I'm a little concerned about wind gusts of 65-70mph knocking out trees along the Intracoastal (Roscoe Blvd). Doesn't take much to knock them down especially if the area floods. Most of the developments in Palm Valley (Plantation, Odoms, Sawmill, Neck Rd etc.) are connected to the above ground power lines along Roscoe and if one line goes, we all go. Fully expecting to lose power but we're sticking around and will be ready with my Honda generator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville