Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:21 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
what do you mean? In my limited time here I've seen no effort to block beach access, in PVB there are plenty of access points to the beach, there is just no place to park, I am sure that you wouldn't be an advocate of tearing down a few million $ plus homes to create parking lots. If you can get here there is nothing to stop you from using any beach here.
Regarding the government paying for beachfront protection, the government cannot have it both ways, they cannot claim that the sand belongs to the public and then not maintain it or in this case allow not the residents to apply emergency measures to protect their homes. It's refreshing to see that people everywhere hold the same resentments of people who have been lucky enough in life to be able to have an oceanfront home
It's been going on for decades, Apvbguy, it's well known that residents did not keep the access clear as they were required to. In recent years, the county has forced many of the homeowners to unblock the access points, but it's too little too late to qualify for the needed help.

Without really knowing me, I'm sure you don't mean to make assumptions, but trust me, I have no reason to be resentful towards someone who owns a home on the ocean and I'm not resentful. Just because I don't own one of those homes right now, it doesn't mean I won't in the future, or that my family doesn't own one right now .

It still doesn't change my feelings one bit about how I think things should be done. I don't want the beach to be pushed into further erosion. And I don't want everyone footing the bill to save a privately owned home. The seawalls were going up to save someone's home - it's not to save the beach - the seawall is detrimental to the beach.

Now if we're going to open that house to the public, then by all means use the public's money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBB View Post
I've been to all three places and would never choose the Outer Banks. It's lovely there for a one week vacation, but there's not really much to do.

As for the beach erosion: I have read months ago that the county is not paying for seawalls in those South PV Beach areas that are not accessible for the public...

Beach renourishment may look like a good solution. But the truth is: it is costly and doesn't last. You'd have to do it over and over again to protect homes. In the end, you can't fight nature. It's the same all over the world.
Thanks for the update about the seawalls, CBB, glad the county came to their senses .

You can't fight nature...so true .

Quote:
Originally Posted by palenciacondo View Post
I would advise avoiding the Outer Banks. Many, many weekly visitors in the summer months and weekends all year round especially from Northern Virginia. Very touristy and the traffic due to the influx is unbelievable. Ponte Vedra, on the other hand has little tourist trailing. It has a lovely, relaxed beach feeling without the hustle and bustle of South FLorida.
I'm sure there are some nice places that I just haven't come across in the Outer Banks, but I find many of the shops and restaurants to have that tourist flavor. The area is gaining in popularity though, so it's probably changing by the minute - the Outer Banks have been "discovered"...what hasn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 09:29 PM

156 posts, read 151,834 times
I'd say PVB or Outer Banks. Jupiter is really nice, but the people are probably older, and a little on the "snobby" side, in my opinion. The people in NC are far more polite and easier to speak to, as they are (in most cases) more friendly. PVB would be a good choice too, as it is probably cheaper than Jupiter, and farther north, making it easier to visit other places outside of FL. If you live in S Florida, in some cases it takes like 6 hrs just to get out of FL. If you lived in PVB, you could head up to Savannah, Atlanta, and the Carolina's, and it wouldnt take nearly as long. My thoughts anyway.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 753 times
Beach replenishment is definitely expensive and never ending, but without it, there will be no outer banks. I recently stayed in Kill Devil Hills and the water was hitting the dune line just at high tide! Factor a moderate to severe hurricane, and the OBX will be wiped out! The politicians state the OBX beaches are "wild" and should stay "wild". I bet they'd think differently if there were no businesses in place to generate tax revenue due to storm devastation. Time to reconsider before it's too late......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville