Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 06:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,634 times

Advertisements

Greetings, JAX citizens! I'm a 23 year old from West Virginia, and I just came down here to seek my fortune after graduating from college. Now, I'm one of those guys that feels most comfortable when I'm in a long-term relationship. I'm ALSO one of those guys thats terrified of meeting new people, and alcohol isn't exactly my forte. I live in Southside, but I don't know the area well. If anyone knows where people who are scared away from the bar scene go to meet other singles, I'd appreciate it if you let me know!

If it helps, I like to do outdoor activities like biking or hiking (Eagle Scout and all that ), and computer stuff. I know churches are a great way to meet people, but (don't hate me for saying this!) I'm not much of a believer and I'd make a terrible mate for someone who was.

So there we have it! Thanks so much for reading this, and thanks even more if you can help a guy out!

Yours in Jacksonville (assuming I don't get lost in this huge city),

--Turk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 09:20 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Have you checked out the Meetup groups in Jacksonville? That might be a good place to start.

Also consider getting involved as a volunteer - maybe for an upcoming city event or for an environmental group? Or a humanitarian group? Animal group? We have a ton of organizations in Jax. Let us know what your interests are and we can make suggestions.

What kind of outdoor activities do you like? I have 2 good friends who met in a sailing club and now they're married with a kid .

Also, it's an election year, I'm sure the local offices of Obama or McCain would welcome your involvement.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,634 times
Meetup groups? What are those?

Anyway, volunteering sounds like it might be a good idea. Animal groups are fun (especially those that deal with reptiles, but I might not find many people there....).

As far as my outdoor activities, I think biking and hiking/backpacking are great fun. Are there any groups around here that do those kinds of things? This place seems beautiful and I'd like to explore it more.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:59 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Here, type in your zip:

Use the Internet to get off the Internet! - Meetup.com

For your type of outdoor likes, you might want to check out our local Sierra Club:

Welcome to the Sierra Club! :: Northeast Florida Group

There's also:

St. Johns Riverkeeper

First Coast Surfrider

The Duval Audubon Society, serving Clay, Duval,and Nassau Counties (not sure of the age group is here though )

For animals, you might like this group:

first coast no more homeless pets | Your spay and neuter connection serving jacksonville florida |

You can also search for groups that help Sea Turtles, Manatees, etc.....just start googling!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:04 PM

71 posts, read 287,802 times
Default Meet people in JAX

There are also a number of young professionals' groups. Some of which have membership fees, which include entry into events which often have food/1 drink ticket (some are free, though, I think).

www.impactjax.com
Other groups (list on ImpactJAX website):
beyond IMPACT (http://www.impactjax.com/beyondIMPACT/tabid/55/Default.aspx - broken link)

Last edited by ck123; 08-14-2008 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: too confusing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: