Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 06:24 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
hereinfla
I am a pizza nut.
what side of town are you on
i have found good pizza places in Orange park, the Southside and the beaches
lol so tell me where you live and I will tell you which ones I think are the closest to NY pizza
karla
I'm in Mandarin and work on the southside.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:35 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
rennas pizza
there is one in the shopping center that has steinmart and michaels right near you in mandarin
they also opened one in st johns town center
they just opened a brooklyns pizza at 9a and baymeadows I went there the other day. was NOT impressed the sauce was good but the crust was terrible no flavor, not to mention soggy under the cheese
if you try rennas let me know what you think
karla

Old 02-09-2007, 09:19 PM

8 posts, read 27,915 times
for pretty good pizza guys you might also want to try Abe's - it's on southside across from Tinsletown - my sister-in-law grew up in chicago and she swears by the place ---

oh also pretty good italian food in general can be found on merrill rd. - its the "trattoria" (yes I know I spelled it wrong!) it's right next to townsend in the shopping center where albertson's is now that IGA. --- we ate there a while ago and the food and wait staff were lovely!

Old 02-09-2007, 09:47 PM

Thanks. I've had Renna's before and it is good. When we get pizza, it's where we go. I think I may be used to Chicago style, though. Will try Abe's.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:01 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
hereinfla
I think all of us should get together and have a pizza searching road trip

karla

Old 02-10-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
hereinfla
I think all of us should get together and have a pizza searching road trip

karla
I like it. We'll call it A Slice of Jax. Put together a list of three or four places and eat a slice at each one!

Old 02-11-2007, 05:01 PM

11 posts, read 53,490 times
I think Jacksonville is very gay friendly. Most of the corporations have Partner Health Insurance available. I don't know what the pickup truck comment is about but many gay men and women drive pickup trucks. The trucks are go protection against all of the automobile accidents which happen daily.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:17 PM

121 posts, read 786,161 times
Gainesville is a much more liberal community. I have lived in Riverside and it is just fine for gays there.(I have gay friends) However, you may be surrounded by, ahem, very conservative and rather intolerant individuals on the west side and north side of Jacksonville. We shouldn't forget the Nathan Bedford Forrest High School. Named after the founder of the KKK. The name of the school has still not been changed...Where you see the reb flag and stickers on cars, generally you can expect closet if not overt racism, closet if not overt anti-semitism, and closet if not overt anti-gay. There are many more reb emblems in the northern tier of Florida than in other parts of the state. Strange that this hotbed of "southern heritage" as it were coheres in Jacksonville with perhaps the most populous agglomeration of fundamentalist institutions in the state.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:12 PM

4 posts, read 11,868 times
Default offensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvio View Post
I might be relocating to Jax for law school w/ my partner. We currently live in Orlando. I visited the area a few times and it seemed fairly nice...much more affordable than Orlando. I know the Baptist church runs downtown and all, but for the most part is the city gay-friendly? More specifically, the Southside area around Baymeadows, St. Johns Town Center, etc. I was hoping I'd be done with rednecks in pickups...yes we have them here to but from what I heard there's more in Jax. Whatever anyone can say would be most helpful
I realize this is an old post but I've just discovered these forums. How would you feel if someone said they don't want to move to an area with gays? Jax and the surrounding areas are full of rednecks in pickups and most of us are proud of it. If you don't like it, don't move there. You'd expect a gay man to be accepting of others since gays themselves have struggled to be accepted.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:16 PM

4 posts, read 11,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalo View Post
Gainesville is a much more liberal community. I have lived in Riverside and it is just fine for gays there.(I have gay friends) However, you may be surrounded by, ahem, very conservative and rather intolerant individuals on the west side and north side of Jacksonville. We shouldn't forget the Nathan Bedford Forrest High School. Named after the founder of the KKK. The name of the school has still not been changed...Where you see the reb flag and stickers on cars, generally you can expect closet if not overt racism, closet if not overt anti-semitism, and closet if not overt anti-gay. There are many more reb emblems in the northern tier of Florida than in other parts of the state. Strange that this hotbed of "southern heritage" as it were coheres in Jacksonville with perhaps the most populous agglomeration of fundamentalist institutions in the state.

Could you be more ignorant? The rebel flag is a symbol of southern pride. In my hometown, it's displayed all over. I have never heard a racist comment in my hometown. There are no hate crimes. There is hardly any crime at all. Perhaps you should open your mind and stop letting liberals tell you what to think. How do you know that someone is racist because they display a rebel flag on their car? Are you a mind reader?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville