Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 04:36 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Yes, its a very sad state of affairs. I can not believe so many states are banning gay marriage and banning gay rights. Its really a backwards step for our country.

Unfortunately, us who believe in EQUAL RIGHTS for all are a minority in this country!
*eyes roll*

Gay men and Str8 men are NOT equals. Its a happy state of affairs for me. Seems like we are moving forward not backwards.

NOW WHOS READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!!!!????

Old 11-08-2008, 05:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,781 times
Yes, I agree. You cannot rewrite culture, religion, history, social norms...[mod]edit: removed portion of comment [/mod] As for me, I'm beyond tired of homosexuals constantly bringing their lifestyle choices to my attention and furthermore making me subsidize them. Do what you want and pay your own penalties for doing so. Just don't expect the rest of us to place you on a pedestal or pay you money for it.

Last edited by riveree; 11-08-2008 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: please don't cross the line into personal attacks, debate the idea, not the personal lifestyle of other members

Old 11-08-2008, 05:22 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
Default Equal opportunity discrimination

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
*eyes roll*

Gay men and Str8 men are NOT equals. Its a happy state of affairs for me. Seems like we are moving forward not backwards.

Right here, "and provides that no other legal union that is treated as marriage or the substantial equivalent thereof shall be valid or recognized".

That will invalid any domestic partnership also that STRAIGHT couples are in. As an example, if you didn't know, New Jersey Domestic Partnership Law not only includes gays, but all STRAIGHT couples over the age of 62.

So any Straight Senior couples from NJ, who retire and move to Florida, will not have their Domestic Partnership recognized in this state, let alone any younger straight couples in a domestic partnership.

This is why the AARP was fighting this. This law was RELIGIOUS based. Why else? It's not just about gays. They don't like the idea of straight couples, even Grandpa and Grandma, "shacking up" and "living in SIN" without the benefit of "sacred, holy matrimony".

Old 11-08-2008, 08:56 AM

62 posts, read 181,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebrous View Post
Yes, I agree. You cannot rewrite culture, religion, history, social norms... Moderator cut: edit: previously edited quote - see above
Moderator cut: edit: removed comments about religion

Many who value equality for all are beyond tired of mindsets such as yours.

We're beyond tired of religious groups trying to take over the government and shove that imaginary nonsense down our throats.

We're beyond tired of people that just don't like something that affects them in no way trying to run the lives of others.

Last edited by riveree; 11-08-2008 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: same as above, let's watch who we're offending please, don't get too personal, keep it general and debate the idea only

Old 11-08-2008, 09:08 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Gays cannot live more than a few miles from the ocean. They hate cold weather. Therefore they will continue to come and reside in Florida no matter what laws are against them. Besides most gay men cannot have a boyfriend for more than a month, so why would they want to get married?
Written like the bigots who infest that hanging chad called Florida.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:14 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
*eyes roll*

Gay men and straight men are not equals? Sounds like white men and black men aren't equals. This in a country built on "all men are created equal". Lovely.

May karma make all of you "superior" heterosexuals exactly what you disparage. Then you'll understand. A whole life being "less" than you are now. Won't that be fun? Then I'll be able to point and laugh at your silly ways. What goes around, comes around.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:14 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,758 times
A little comic relief:

YouTube - Wanda Sykes talks Prop 8 to Ellen!

For all of you wondering... Wanda is dressed as a Wall Street banker, with a golden parachute and a bucket to collect as much of the bailout as she can. Pretty funny & creative idea.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:18 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,766,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
By that argument, California is anti-gay. That's laughable. However, that's simply the state of the country we're at with regards to gay rights. Once the younger generation has the majority of the voting bloc in another 10 years, I highly suspect these amendments will be voted on and repealed in the more liberal states, Florida included.
Our country is becoming more and more minority. In 10 years we will be very brown instead of kinda brown. Last time I checked, minorities and especially blacks are against gay marriage by a wide, unchanging margin. Don't think you'll find allegiance with Hispanics either, they are overwhelmingly 'family' oriented.

The Dems picked up the minority vote by a wide margin, but if you guys start complaining about how minority values don't get along with the far left of your party, minorities will abandon the Dems because of the far left extremists (wacko gay rights advocacy groups).

You can't have it both ways!!!

Old 11-09-2008, 08:37 PM

754 posts, read 2,816,299 times
You can't have it both ways!!!

No pun intended?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:22 AM

3 posts, read 7,617 times
I have to agree with the others who said that there isn't really anywhere you can vacation or live if gay rights is the yard stick you use to judge where you'll make your home. Gay rights were defeated on EVERY ballot they were placed on. The argument could go on all day and night but I seriously doubt anyone who is gay is going to cease to be gay simply because someone else thinks its wrong. But, you can't really blame those people who voted against giving something legitamacy that they believe is sinful. Christians believe that the gay lifestyle is sinful and that it is a CHOICE. In fact, I think pretty much every major religion believes homosexuality is a sin. You can't compare gay rights to the rights of African Americans because being black is not a choice. In truth, people have to vote their conscience. In the end, you can't take something into the political arena and then get mad when it gets shot down by the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville