Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 09:04 AM

14 posts, read 34,541 times

Advertisements

I remember this commercial I watched several years ago. It showed an older homeless man, named Joe, curled up underneath a bridge while the snow fell down and people just walked right by with all of their holiday cheer, not paying any attention to Joe.

The commentator went on to say:

1. "Well, someone almost gave Joe a blanket."
2. "Well, someone almost gave Joe something to eat."
3. "Well, someone almost gave Joe a place to stay the night."

The next frame of the commercial showed the white chalk outline; the one you see at crime scenes.

"Well, Joe almost made it through the night.", the commentator spoke.

You see, Joe froze to death that night.

I think about this commercial often. It makes me very sad and deeply touches my heart. I was homeless once. I remember the feelings of being an outcast to society, or so I thought. You see, I was Joe. I remember being cold and hungry. I was an alcoholic with no hope for a future. But, I was given the mercy and grace of a loving God. A God who gave me a second chance at life. I was given an opportunity to change. I have not took a drink of alcohol in a very long time. My life has totally been transformed.

During this holiday season, I just ask all of you to think about Joe. Remember him in your prayers if nothing else. After all, Joe is a child of God just like everyone of us.

My organization is committed to providing every man and woman who are homeless or suffering from alcohol/drug addiction the same chance and opportunity that was once given to me. I just ask that you think of these individuals during these holidays. They are people too. People with dreams. Someones mother, father, sister, brother, husband, or wife. Offer them a kind word, even a smile helps. Like I mentioned in a previous thread, many of us may only be a couple of paychecks away from being Joe. Wouldn't you want someone to have compassion on you?

Thank you and may God bless you all. Happy Holidays from my family to yours.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:05 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,605 times
Can you tell us more Jason?

Old 11-23-2008, 11:01 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,736,488 times
In college, I organized our organization to volunteer for a unique program for the homeless in Columbia, SC. It was called Centerplace whereby the homeless could receive messages from potential employers (regarding interviews, for example), the patrons could shower there, receive their mail there, etc. We did it for 2 years. I don't know if people continued volunteering after I graduated.

I have been jaded, in recent years, by the professional panhandlers in Rockville, Bethesda, and DC where they take the Metro and stand on the corner with signs. I saw one guy walking back to the parking lot with his crutches in one hand walking normally (I assume to his car?). Another person who was on the Rockville Pike/Old Georgetown Road post was going to 7 Eleven getting a 40 ounce malt liquor bottle.

We definitely need to help the homeless since many are alcoholics, afflicted with mental health issues, drug addicts, convicted felons, etc who have no one to depend upon to get them out of a bleak existence.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:03 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,247,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason J. View Post
I remember this commercial I watched several years ago. It showed an older homeless man, named Joe, curled up underneath a bridge while the snow fell down and people just walked right by with all of their holiday cheer, not paying any attention to Joe.

The commentator went on to say:

1. "Well, someone almost gave Joe a blanket."
2. "Well, someone almost gave Joe something to eat."
3. "Well, someone almost gave Joe a place to stay the night."

The next frame of the commercial showed the white chalk outline; the one you see at crime scenes.

"Well, Joe almost made it through the night.", the commentator spoke.

You see, Joe froze to death that night.

I think about this commercial often. It makes me very sad and deeply touches my heart. I was homeless once. I remember the feelings of being an outcast to society, or so I thought. You see, I was Joe. I remember being cold and hungry. I was an alcoholic with no hope for a future. But, I was given the mercy and grace of a loving God. A God who gave me a second chance at life. I was given an opportunity to change. I have not took a drink of alcohol in a very long time. My life has totally been transformed.

During this holiday season, I just ask all of you to think about Joe. Remember him in your prayers if nothing else. After all, Joe is a child of God just like everyone of us.

My organization is committed to providing every man and woman who are homeless or suffering from alcohol/drug addiction the same chance and opportunity that was once given to me. I just ask that you think of these individuals during these holidays. They are people too. People with dreams. Someones mother, father, sister, brother, husband, or wife. Offer them a kind word, even a smile helps. Like I mentioned in a previous thread, many of us may only be a couple of paychecks away from being Joe. Wouldn't you want someone to have compassion on you?

Thank you and may God bless you all. Happy Holidays from my family to yours.

The commercial was a little exaggerated to tug at your heart. Joe went on to later become a plumber.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:35 AM

14 posts, read 34,541 times
Default Does anyone care about the homeless?

We are looking for volunteers, donations, just about anything we can use to generate the capital required to fulfill our mission.

Please feel free to give me a call if anyone has any ideas. Thank you and God bless.

Jason
(904) 405-2178

Old 11-24-2008, 04:37 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,605 times
Advertisement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville