Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 03:49 PM

5 posts, read 19,387 times

Advertisements

I will be coming to Jacksonville for Easter weekend. I booked a stay at the Residence Inn near the Airport. I see there are many restaurants in the area. I was wondnering if this is a safe area? Fifteen in our party. We are staying at the hotel prior to a cruise which leaves on Monday. I was searching for things to do. I found info about Jacksonville Landing. The reviews of the landing didn't seem too positive. Could not find any information about Riverview area. Also, which beach should I research?
Any reccomendations would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 05:05 PM

870 posts, read 2,179,121 times
Are you renting a car?
I think the area you are staying is is pretty safe. There are a lot of hotels in that area.
I think any beach will be OK. When we go, we go to Jacksonville Beach or just south of it.
I like to go to Joe's Crab Shack and sit outside, overlooking the beach. Also, having lunch at the Landing, overlooking the river is nice, but there's not a whole lot to do at the Landing.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFan27 View Post
Are you renting a car?
I think the area you are staying is is pretty safe. There are a lot of hotels in that area.
I think any beach will be OK. When we go, we go to Jacksonville Beach or just south of it.
I like to go to Joe's Crab Shack and sit outside, overlooking the beach. Also, having lunch at the Landing, overlooking the river is nice, but there's not a whole lot to do at the Landing.
Yes we are renting a car. Thanks for the information

Old 02-22-2009, 05:16 PM

870 posts, read 2,179,121 times
How long will you be in town? Are you coming in the day before your cruise? What are the ages of the people in your party? If there are children, the zoo might be a good place to take them. It is also up in that part of the city.

If you get a chance, drive downtown at night to look at the bridges and their lights.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:33 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,118,057 times
The airport area IS very safe so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Nobody's stupid enough to commit a crime in the airport vicinity. To me, the Landing would be good for dinner and nightlife, that's it.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:21 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
I don't recommend trying to stretch to the beach if you're here waiting on a cruise. You will see much better beaches on your trip, and the beach in Jax is a LOOOOONG way from the airport. Expect at least an hour's drive. I haven't been to the Landing lately but it used to be THE place to go. Although they never have had any real good restaurants there other than Hooters and the like. How about going to the Landing, taking a river taxi across the river, and eat on the other side at River City Brewing Company?

Last edited by convextech; 02-23-2009 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 02-24-2009, 05:57 PM

150 posts, read 576,911 times
If you will be staying near the airport, go to Huegenot Park (sp?). It's a cool beach, and you can still drive on it. I actually worked at a client at the airport for a while and was really impressed with all of the decent restaurants nearby. Another thing to do that is near the airport is the Jacksonville Zoo. The zoo is in good shape and has some new exhibits that I have been planning to check out myself.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:19 PM

567 posts, read 2,140,850 times
I was just in Jacksonville the first week of February. Don't go to the Landing - there is nothing to do there!

There is a huge, beautiful new shopping center and movie theater by the airport.

I would recommend going up to Amelia Island for the day. There are beaches there with free access and parking along Fletcher Ave. and plenty of shops and restaurants along Centre Street (downtown).

The Zoo is also nice - a good recommendation!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:03 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin1264 View Post
There is a huge, beautiful new shopping center and movie theater by the airport.
That would be the River City Marketplace. It's about two years old.

http://www.ramcogershenson.com/graphics/properties/brochure_pdfs/74001_brochure.pdf (broken link)

Old 03-08-2009, 08:31 AM

Default Thanks for the replies

Thanks for all of the replies. We are coming in town two days prior to the cruise. The ages are 40-50's and younger folks ages 11-24.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville