Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,714 times

Advertisements

Hello! We live in southeastern PA, which is proving a nightmare for our asthmatic children. Every summer, I take them to the beach and am able to take them off all their medication (four daily--including steriods, with more meds for flares). The children have no significant allergies; their triggers are viral. We are considering relocating to the Beaches (specifically, we are looking at Ponte Vedra Beach because of the quality schools) area near Jacksonville. Can anyone share information regarding asmatic children and how they do living along the coast of north Florida? Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 07:39 PM

196 posts, read 574,498 times
I would suggest taking a visit (and if you can go now you will hit pollen season I think...) and see how they do.

We were living in the Philly area and our child had no problems. Then we moved to Jacksonville. My then 10 year-old daughter had pneumonia twice the first winter/spring we were in Jacksonville. She was then diagnosed with asthma. The pediatrician doesn't know what triggered the start of the asthma, but felt that the thick pine pollen down there wasn't helping her at all. She would get a cold, her lungs would be irritated by the pollen, then her lungs would become inflamed sending us down the pneumonia cycle.

Now we are back in Philly and although the asthma is not gone, she is not getting the pneumonia. It could just be that we are getting better at catching it early or it could be that she has fewer triggers up here.

I don't think you will know for sure until you take a trip and see how the kids do.

Good luck! If you decide to relocate - we loved it down there.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:46 AM

114 posts, read 327,966 times
Our youngest son has asthma. His triggers include a whole list of tree pollens and animals as well as viral. We moved here last Aug from CT. He is now on singular and nasonex to control his allergies which in turn trigger his asthma. He has had two doses of oral steriods this year as well as his rescue inhalers and nebs when needed. Pollen is a huge issue here and without the harsh cold of the winter it is released earlier than in the north. We are struggling this year, much more than in years past. That being said, if your kids triggers are viral, I am curious...are there some locations that are better than others? Would the viral risk be any different here?

Old 03-26-2009, 07:46 PM

11 posts, read 27,401 times
Hi,
I have two kids with Asthma but I don't think it is related to the area. I have had my kids tested for allergies and they are fine. When I leave the state of Florida my allergies are a nightmare and then I return to Jacksonville and they are fine. My kids seem to be most effected by the daycare bugs that trigger the asthma not by the climate. What is great about north Florida is that each season is milder. So, I think this helps the asthmatic.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:36 PM

310 posts, read 869,166 times
Hopefully I can help. We moved here 8 years ago from the western part of VA with all four of our kids plus myself being asthmatic (and allergic). Now I can tell you that our asthma is significantly WORSE here because the allergies were worse, and in the heat of the summer it is too much to handle being outside. Many times we are prisoners in the air conditioning because it is so bad. My asthma is much worse down here--before I never needed a nebulizer but an inhaler worked fine, down here I need a neb. If you have allergies this is not the place to move to because things are blooming almost all the time. We also get pneumonia far more often than when we lived in VA.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:51 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappleganger View Post
Hopefully I can help. We moved here 8 years ago from the western part of VA with all four of our kids plus myself being asthmatic (and allergic). Now I can tell you that our asthma is significantly WORSE here because the allergies were worse, and in the heat of the summer it is too much to handle being outside. Many times we are prisoners in the air conditioning because it is so bad. My asthma is much worse down here--before I never needed a nebulizer but an inhaler worked fine, down here I need a neb. If you have allergies this is not the place to move to because things are blooming almost all the time. We also get pneumonia far more often than when we lived in VA.

Wow, I pretty much could have written this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville