Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 06:19 AM

43 posts, read 147,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegirl View Post
I did not take it as such. Think about your babies. If they're used to being cooped up and only being out and on a leash when you're home, then Palm Coast is fine. Please look at the other threads re: Palm Coast.

I really don't think it's a matter of them being cooped up, it's a matter of being a responsible pet owner. No breed of dog should be allowed to be off leash unless they are in a fenced area. Nothing boils my blood faster that seeing Joe Shmoe walking down the street with his dog unleashed.

I've heard the excuses over and over, "Oh he's friendly, wouldn't hurt a fly"

Does not matter. Think about this....my female dog is good with most dogs, but she does not tolerate a strange dog with no manners rushing her on the street. Rightfully so if you ask me. So there I am, following the law, walking my dog on a leash. Here comes Joe Shmoeand his off leash lab/retriever, whatever. This off leash dog rushes my dog in a rude manner and my dog bites. Guess what the headline is the following morning? "Vicious Pit Bull attacks family dog". Lovely.

Doesn't matter that I was following the law, it it still blamed on the pit bull.

If nothing else think of the safety issues for your own dog! You're dog may be friendly, but not every dog loves all dogs!

Last edited by lovebeingme; 03-23-2007 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 03-23-2007, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
Jamie I agree with you there are good and bag dogs in every breed.
I do greyhound adoption and you would not belive how many time in the past 15 years I have had to educate people that the information they get from the "media" is wrong.
The biggest misinformation is that the greyhounds are highstrung and need lots of room to run .
Wrong they are couch potatos and sleep around 14 hours a day and iif you take one on a 4 mile walk you will end up carrying them home

I have a couple neighbors that have pits one, I take care of when he goes out of town. you can't find a bigger "love bucket" than this dog. he loves to give kisses and rolls over to have his belly rubbed.
there is a house that is for rent in our neighborhood I am not sure if they would be OK with any kind of dog but I can ask if you want. We are about 15 mins form phillips highway
I am the same as you with the leash thing. why would anyone take a risk with their pet by leaving them off a leash unless they are in a fenced area. there are to many unknows. As a matter of fact when you adopt one of our greyhounds you sign a contract that states you agree to keep them on a leash unless they are in a fenced area.

Karla
It's awesome that you rescue, thank you for doing it.

A friend of mine's Mom adopted a retired racing greyhound. Sweetest dog ever! Cute as can be too.

I would love for you to inquire about the house near you for rent! I find it's best just to ask what the pet policy is, versus, asking outright if they take pit bulls. What I have found thus far is most people say no at first, but if they give me an opportunity to educate them a bit about the breed and my dog's in particular, most people come around. As stated before, I am already all set up with my renters policy with State Farm, who does NOT discriminate by breed of dog. I also have neighbor references who can attest to what kind of an owner I am. All my neighbors love my dogs. When we first moved in, I walked around with Bella and knocked on people's doors and introduces ourselves. Had Bella sit and look pretty. We squashed alot of myths that day, and ever since then, have had no problems.

Thanks so much for the offer Myfask!! It's greatly appreciated!

Jaime

Old 03-23-2007, 07:22 AM

50 posts, read 194,869 times
I live in Palm Coast and it is a great community. Many caring people here. Rent is cheap because it was over built. Almost all homes are less than 5 years old. Flagler County was the fastest growing county for 3 years in a row in all of USA. We have 3 dog parks to take your doggies too. Great vets, good people, wonderful location.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:19 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,126,024 times
Jamie
If I don't see her before I leave for phila this weekend I will find out Tuesday morning
I will PM you with the rent they are asking to see if it is in your range

karla

Old 03-23-2007, 08:20 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,170,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingme View Post
I really don't think it's a matter of them being cooped up, it's a matter of being a responsible pet owner. No breed of dog should be allowed to be off leash unless they are in a fenced area. Nothing boils my blood faster that seeing Joe Shmoe walking down the street with his dog unleashed.
I completely agree.

What I was trying to say is that if you live in PC and work in Jax, you'll be gone for at least 10 hours and probaly longer as 95 can get quite backed up during rush hour.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:12 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,747,514 times
Oh...I was wondering what kind of animals you had. I see it's pitt bulls. I say GO to Palm Coast then. I don't want those things anywhere in the county I live in. As far as I'm concerned they shouldn't be allowed in the state. I'd feel better if you keep them up in Palm Coast.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Oh...I was wondering what kind of animals you had. I see it's pitt bulls. I say GO to Palm Coast then. I don't want those things anywhere in the county I live in. As far as I'm concerned they shouldn't be allowed in the state. I'd feel better if you keep them up in Palm Coast.
First of all it's Pit Bull, 1 T....actually the correct name is American Pit Bull Terrier.

You need to educate yourself about the breed and stop listening to everything the media tells you.

The rescue I foster/volunteer for is www.fortheloveofpits.org read up, you might learn something.

Jaime

Old 03-23-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegirl View Post
I completely agree.

What I was trying to say is that if you live in PC and work in Jax, you'll be gone for at least 10 hours and probaly longer as 95 can get quite backed up during rush hour.
Oh! Now I get you! My Fiance will be home different hours than me so they shouldn't have to spend too much time in their crates.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliep11 View Post
I live in Palm Coast and it is a great community. Many caring people here. Rent is cheap because it was over built. Almost all homes are less than 5 years old. Flagler County was the fastest growing county for 3 years in a row in all of USA. We have 3 dog parks to take your doggies too. Great vets, good people, wonderful location.
OOH! A positive post! YAY!

Are there any bad areas of Palm Coast I should avoid? Any extra special nice ones I should try and rent in?

I'd like to be as far north as possible in PC because of the commute.

Any more info is greatly appreciated!

Jaime

Old 03-23-2007, 11:22 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,170,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingme View Post
Oh! Now I get you! My Fiance will be home different hours than me so they shouldn't have to spend too much time in their crates.

That's great! We're lucky that our schedules are different, too, so our "kids" are only alone for 3 hours max. We take them to Dr. Walker. The other vets in his clinic are good, but he's awesome.

The "L" section is the farthest north in PC and the newest. There are some nice homes in the "B" section, but also some really run-down duplexes.

If you have any questions about the area I (and I'm sure lesliep11) will be more than happy to help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville