Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 10:57 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,493,923 times

Advertisements

So, my wife got a really great job offer with lots of security, but hasn't accepted yet (and still might not). Only problem is its in Valdosta GA. Not that there is anything wrong with Valdosta, im sure its a very nice place to live. But, its just not our cup o tea. I think we would shrivel up & die in that small of a town, especially coming from DC, where LOTS of stuff is within walking distance to us. Plus, with my area of work, I would pretty much have to live in or around Jax.

So, the dilemma. We wanna live in Jax, but do you guys think the commute would be too great 3-4 days a week to Valdosta? How long does it take?? And if we did live in Jax, where?? We would like a more urban feel, so I was thinking of the Five Points area downtown. Is that a good area??

We thought about living at the halfway point, around Lake City FL, but it seems pretty small too. Anyone familiar with any of these areas I've named?? Any input would REALLY help with our decision.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 03:49 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,154,463 times
kerry
it took me about 1 hour to lake city and 2 hours to valdosta
the only good thing is you would be going against the traffic
It is all highway
My friend across the street use to live in lake city she moved there from Calif. I will ask her her oppinions of lake city next time I see her.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
kerry
it took me about 1 hour to lake city and 2 hours to valdosta
the only good thing is you would be going against the traffic
It is all highway
My friend across the street use to live in lake city she moved there from Calif. I will ask her her oppinions of lake city next time I see her.
2 hours eh?? Ooo, that might be a bit much. I imagine living in far east Jax would maybe shave off 30 mins of driving, but everyone says East Jax is kinda crummy & not safe.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:16 AM

jerry
actually to be closer to that area you would have to be west of downtown
east would put you closer to the beaches which would be farther out
and the north west part of town is bad
can you plan a trip down to check out the area?

karla

Old 03-25-2007, 04:55 AM

6 posts, read 32,121 times
Is the Lakewood area decent or should i steer clear of it? zip code 32217 i believe.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgv1545 View Post
Is the Lakewood area decent or should i steer clear of it? zip code 32217 i believe.
Thanks, but could you kindly not jack my thread?? No offense, but time is running out for us to make a decision.

Quote:
jerry

karla
Thats good info, thanks!

Im wondering whether Jacksonville or Tallahassee would be a shorter commute for her time wise.

Also, any ideas on those areas I already named in my first post??

Old 03-25-2007, 07:50 PM

166 posts, read 987,223 times
There isn't much in Tallahasse or Lake City. Jacksonville may be your best best. But that drive would be so far....Valdosta is a nice place, but honestly, I wouldn't want to live there either. Money or no money....if you don't like the deep south it may be a huge culture shock! Peaches there are great though!

Old 03-26-2007, 03:59 AM

kerry my husband said its about 2 hours or so to Tallahassee from where we are
I would go to mapquest and put in the two areas and see what they say
lake city is right around 75 &10
I am going to PM you a couple links for lake city

karla

Old 03-26-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
jerry

karla
Oops, I meant west. Sorry.

Know any good areas thats far west Jax but still close to some stuff, shopping, etc?? If we could shave off 30 mins or so from the commute to Valdosta, that might be OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelrocks View Post
There isn't much in Tallahasse or Lake City. Jacksonville may be your best best. But that drive would be so far....Valdosta is a nice place, but honestly, I wouldn't want to live there either. Money or no money....if you don't like the deep south it may be a huge culture shock! Peaches there are great though!
Nah, Im originally from KY & lived in Charleston SC too. Up north is cool, but I love the south too.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:02 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,124,815 times
ahh, too much too much, i think you should not live in either valdosta or lake city, but if you do, isnt valdosta bigger than lake city? and that is where you work. If you live in Jax, definitely live Riverside or Avondale or San Marco. all are dense, nice, and walkable, and old. you might actually be impressed by the 5 points area, it has become quite nice and there are further mixed use dense developments with retail and dining going up on the first floor. You will absolutely NOT find anything remotely close to this in valdosta, but you will confederate flags and a baptist church and valdosta state university, and i suppose wild adventures amusement park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville