Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 12:25 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
ahh, too much too much, i think you should not live in either valdosta or lake city, but if you do, isnt valdosta bigger than lake city? and that is where you work. If you live in Jax, definitely live Riverside or Avondale or San Marco. all are dense, nice, and walkable, and old. you might actually be impressed by the 5 points area, it has become quite nice and there are further mixed use dense developments with retail and dining going up on the first floor. You will absolutely NOT find anything remotely close to this in valdosta, but you will confederate flags and a baptist church and valdosta state university, and i suppose wild adventures amusement park.
LOL, yeah. I think we've pretty much ruled out living in Valdosta, Lake City or even Tallahassee. Jax is looking good to us.

Those areas you named in Jax sound good. About how much does a nice 2br condo in those neighborhoods go for?? For purchase not rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 04:52 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Default condos in Riverside, Avondale or San Marco

Hi Kerry B,

The areas you're asking about, Riverside, Avondale and San Marco are primarily single family home areas, but there are some condos to be found.

As for price, I'll just hit it with the broad strokes: Most of the new urban condos being built in these areas are not exactly entry-level prices. I'm no longer suprised to see a price tag of $900k or $3mil for a condo. Might you find one in the $300's? Yeah, maybe, probably.

If you're looking for something less, you'd probably be looking at an older, livable fixer-upper.

I'm not a realtor, so if you're serious about a condo in one of these neighborhoods, you'll want to explore the prices for yourself.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:08 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,116,604 times
Well yea condos are apparently what everyone wants nowadays and it is Florida where they can charge 3 mil for a 3000 sq ft or 4000 sq ft condo, but these are just the new condos. All the older ones, even riverfront are generally a mil or less. Now the housing stock and price range in Riverside, San MArco, and Avondale are so varied that you could find anything anywhere for any price. All you need is a realtor and to do some research and you are bound to find multiple living spaces you like. Do not expect a lot of land like you would find in the suburbs, but instead you will be able to walk to the grocery, shops, and restaurants, and you will not have to fight highway traffic wherever you go. Also, do not expect a house less than 20 years old here, even 50 years old for that matter, these are old neighborhoods. But the housing stock is not all run down and crappy, most and in some areas all are fixed up really nicely.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:32 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,989 times
That all sounds great. I think we've decided to go for it & make the move!

Im still a bit concerned for her & the commute to Valdosta, but its only 3 days a week, so its not terrible. We think it'll be worth it in the long run cause DC is hella expensive.

So, we might consider somewhere a little closer, like Macclenny. It looks pretty small, but its still close enough to Jax & would also shave off her commute time as well.

Anyone familiar with Macclenny? Are there grocery, coffee places, gyms & stuff like that around there or is it a complete ghost town??

Last edited by KerryB; 03-29-2007 at 01:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville