Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 03:37 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times

Advertisements

Misstee

St Augustine is very historic and pretty, but it felt a bit busy and touristy to me. We certainly get plenty of tourists here, but it also feels like a real, if laid-back town.

I am a lot older than you but know how you feel: you want to be a positive force but are not interested in a lot of angry, pitchforks-and-torches conflict.
As you say, every town has its good and bad points.
I agree with Trobesmom that the outlook for progressives has been tough.
I believe, in terms of the good ole boy network, that the tide is turning here.
This is for a variety of reasons, it's not just because people are enlightened and moral and upright, it's at least in part because of the weak economy and Florida being overbuilt.
This county has thousands more people than it did 20 years ago. I get the feeling that political feuding has always gone on, but that there has been a shift.
Now, at least in the city, with the economy the way it is, and the influx of newbies, there has been a shakeup, and people who have vision for the future will be taking the reins.
In our neighborhood, we do connect. We have social get-togethers, but also we band together to throw support behind causes.
We are able to recycle once a week.
The Sierra Club is active here and is working with the county to produce a recycling event on Saturday.
George has given you a lot of helpful practical information. I've given you a little bit, but mostly hyperbole.
Good luck with your research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 06:23 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Good luck in your decision misstee. As for me, being 53 and knowing what this place looked like as a child, I can't bear to watch anymore destruction (and the plans/laws are fully in place for more of it when the economy turns around). Also, the county has 100s of acres which should be designated as recreation and parks according to the comprehensive plan, and yet not one place to get out and enjoy off the island! I am a self admitted tree hugger and this place is more suitable for bulldozer, chain saw, and strip mall huggers (most of them vacant). Different strokes for different folks, but I am out of here if my home will sell!

Hey, it's Earth Day. Hopefully someone in the county is taking notice!

Last edited by trobesmom; 04-22-2009 at 06:51 AM..

Old 04-22-2009, 07:23 AM

26 posts, read 200,891 times
BlueWillowPlate-"...angry, pitchforks-and-torches conflict." Exactly what I was picturing.

That was my impression, too, that St. Augustine was going to be a little busier than I care for. I have been avoiding it like the plague, but what I may have to do is rent for a while so I can feel the place out first hand before committing to purchasing. I do believe that what one focuses on tends to multiply, so I think I'll focus on the things that attract me to the area (which are many) and if my help is needed at some point to change those things that are less desirable, then I'll worry about them at that time. I'm glad you can recycle there, I guess I've always taken it for granted but I'd hate not to have the ability to do so (not a fanatic by any means, but try to be as 'green' as I can).

The info you provide seems pretty sound to me but, nothing wrong with a little hyperbole here and there, either--if nothing else it keeps things interesting, makes for good reading.

Take care.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:54 AM

Trobesmom-I noted a sense of disappointment/defeat in your other post; I empathize with you, it must be hard to watch the deterioration, especially knowing what the place was and what it could be.

After moving here and doing much research on 'green' resources in the greater Jacksonville area and largely coming up flat, I decided to start a community website to serve as a sort of one-stop source for all things (and issues) green in the area. I was just thinking the other day about how I was going to need willing (read: unpaid) contributors that can provide expertise, especially on issues specific to their areas/counties, as I want the site to be interactive and informative, not just a mere business directory; being a self-proclaimed tree hugger, this may be an added opportunity to express your point of view and raise awareness to the problems in the area. I'm still a couple months away from going live--I'm doing it in my spare time, which is precious little as of late (as the saying goes, the best part of working for yourself is choosing which 70--or 80 or 90--hours a week you want to work), but if you are interested in providing commentary or could point me in the direction of valuable content/info, let me know.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:28 AM

245 posts, read 503,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misstee71 View Post
George-thanks so much for the wealth of information. As far as Yulee is concerned, the area you mentioned closer to Target is actually where I had been looking; also, Fernandina addresses (if I remember correctly) but a little before the bridge. I will definitely be looking into some of the communities you mentioned that I've not yet checked out, and maybe now's a good time to revisit those others I'd originally ruled out due to cost. I agree there are some great deals out there now; I just hope there are a few left (or at least one!) when I'm ready to buy closer to year's end.
Misstee71, There should be a pretty good amount of houses for sale in the area under $200,000 now, especially the "Lofton" developement, Flora Parke and Amelia Walk. Amelia National & North Hampton are the higher priced ones. There's also a Watson developement farther down Amelia Concourse that was stopped when Watson went out of business. Lots of empty lots and only about 6 houses that were completed.

Amelia Walk is advertising houses "starting in the $100,000's". Most of the houses in the Lofton section should be under $200,000 and many in Flora Parke should have dipped to that range too.

Even if they are not short sales or foreclosures. I see much of North Hampton going for less than the original purchase prices. We'd probably lose $75,000 if we sold today.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:44 AM

GeorgeJ.-Thanks again for the info. I was looking at the Amelia Walk website yesterday and it seems really nice. I'll just have to weigh the pros and cons of living in a community between now and the time I move; I certainly appreciate the benefits, but I really hate the idea of having to ask someone else's permission (and possibly getting a no) if I want to do certain things on my property, such as having the type of fence & landscaping I want, installing solar panels, etc., so we'll see.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 9,523 times
Does anyone have any information on the Flora Parke development off island? My wife and I are considering moving to the FB and this development caught our eye. Also, my brother who has muscular dystrophy would be making the move with us. Does anybody know of an assisted living facility in the area? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:16 AM

Hi cast, don't know if you found the info you needed already but have a couple of links for you to investigate re assisted living. Also, I haven't been on the forum in a while, but from what I remember people had nothing negative to say about the Flora Parke development (I think it was recommended in several related posts).

Savannah Grand of Amelia Island- savannahgrandameliaisland.com

Osprey Village Assisted Living- osprey-village.com

Jane Adams House- thejamesadamhouse.com

Amelia Trace Assisted Living- www.caring.com

Sorry I can't provide any personal recommendations, but this list should help you get the ball rolling, anyway.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 750 times
Hi Misstee71...I stumbled upon this old thread and was curious if you ended up settling in Fernandina Beach? My husband and I are contemplating moving north from south Florida and are looking at anywhere from Ormond beach north up to Fernandina. We are looking for that same laid-back, down-to-earth, small town feel that you were seeking. I hope you found it and will share with me!! Thank you!

Old 10-18-2017, 08:35 PM

542 posts, read 702,455 times
Hmm...well I have said a great deal about yulee, almost exclusively negative, on this board so if you want to hear more of that you can go back and read my opinions. Nassauville often referred to as nastyville by the locals is another place I would cross off the list. Now I know there will be people upset by that. I am generalizing here to some extent. Not everyplace is a rundown trailer with a confederate flag hanging in the window. Lots of crime in the area down by the boat ramp, drug problems, poverty. Don't live there. There are of course developments that you can go into that do not have those issues. So your first concern seemed to be about conservative close minded folks. Well close minded is in the eye of the beholder. Conservative? yes absolutely, right wing republican trumpers? yes that is the majority. You will be a minority. Crazy christian fundamentalists? You got it. Unwelcoming? that is not true. People are very friendly here, much more so then up north. It is true southern hospitality. Amelia Island is really more like Georgia in it;s feel then the rest of Florida. So do not worry at all about not being welcomed. You will have to grit your teeth and mind your manners if your a liberal. That is just the price you pay. There are liberals around it's fun when you find one, you will have something to talk about.
So you want to buy a place here? I would not buy a place without renting for a year. That will help you figure out the area. Where you buy is really all about money isn't it? With enough money you can buy exactly what you want where you want. Not enough money and you start the game of what are you willing to accept or give up. I sense some conflict in the things you are looking for. It sounds like you like the island, which would be my recommendation. This is the place you will find the few liberal leaning things you mention whether it is the health food store or art studios. You also don't like to drive, again you should be on the island as you really only need a bicycle if your into it. The conflict is that you say you want a fixer upper with land and no one telling you what to do...that really does not fit the island unless you have enormous sums of money. I think you are going to have to choose between two very different scenarios. You can go out to yulee and find a couple acres, make yourself a little homestead. This type of thing appeals to me also but if you are going to do that, why Yulee? You can go anywhere. The other option is moving into some huge development in yulee. Again why? What is it your really seeking? St, Augustine? nice place was second on my list. Probably less conservative, does have some really good points. We did not choose it because after spending some time there we realized we would never actually be downtown. Completely over run with tourists and traffic is horrible much of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville