Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 09:20 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,281 times

Advertisements

"Are Floridians fleeing to the Carolinas?"

to answer your question, the answer is yes. jax has some nice attributes and personally i like it better than tampa, miami, or orlando. but, it still doesnt compare (in most ppl's eyes) when comparing to a city like charlotte or raleigh. when you compare cost of living, jobs, quality of life, etc... nc wins pretty easily. and i love fla so it's not like i am saying this just to say it. and ppl are much friendlier overall in nc. we have too many ppl from everywhere all about "me." we are getting all the "me-me-me's" while nc is getting a lot of the floridians that are just trying to get away from what many cities in fla have become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 09:32 AM

23 posts, read 68,946 times
one thing to be careful of in sc is the nuke plants and the nuclear waste site on the savannah river. I'd rather pay higher taxes and insurance than live near that.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:37 AM

58 posts, read 221,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
What are the income taxes like? Sales tax? Taxes are all a loophole, no matter where. What concerns me more is what the government is doing with tax money. This is why Florida loses.
Here is a tax break down: click here NC/SC Taxes

In South Carolina the Gas Tax is lowest in the USA, bordering Charlotteans coming over to tank up their cars.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:08 PM

ft lauderdale, where she's at is a niiiiice place. but like i said, keep it a secret.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:52 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie Adams View Post
Here is a tax break down: click here NC/SC Taxes

In South Carolina the Gas Tax is lowest in the USA, bordering Charlotteans coming over to tank up their cars.
Thank you for the link. I appreciate it.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:07 PM

53 posts, read 211,069 times
I live in Raleigh, NC and am moving to Jax in the next 2 months. Can't wait to move! Jax is soooooo much better than Raleigh, you'll see.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:49 PM

"I live in Raleigh, NC and am moving to Jax in the next 2 months. Can't wait to move! Jax is soooooo much better than Raleigh, you'll see."

i like some things about jax, and as far as big fla cities, that's the one i'd choose, but (overall) better than raleigh? umm no. and keep this in mind, st augustine is one of my fav cities, and northern fla is my fav part of fla. but when comparing jax to raleigh, and comparing jobs, cost of living, the ppl, it really isnt a fair comparison.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm25275 View Post
My husband and I live in Raleigh, NC and are moving to Jax this fall. We like the area but it gets too cold, more colder months than the warm ones. Plus the beach is about 2 hours away and there's not much to do unless you are a college student. That's pretty much it. We can't wait to move to Jax!!!
You couldnt PAY me to move to JAX - I used to live in Hastings for a while and going thru JAX to home - the congestion in JAX is unbearable!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:36 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
We moved to Jax from Huntersville, NC (just above Charlotte). We lived there for a year and two months and really didn't like it at all. In the middle of the State, we were just too far from the coast, it was still too cold for us during the winter, traffic going thru Charlotte (I-77) is a mess (like most cities today) during the week, didn't like Lake Norman (like we thought we would when we moved). Was able to visit Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach which was cool. Actually, should have moved straight here to Jax when we left Colorado (Denver area)......but didn't. Thought that the Charlotte area was really for us......wrong!
Been here in Jax a year and a half now and have enjoyed it here much more than we did in NC. Much more boating areas and all the different activities at the Landing are really cool.
As far a "Floridians fleeing to the Carolinas" goes, personally I think a LOT of folks are fleeing to different States. One thing for sure, the economy hasn't slowed down people from "fleeing" the State their in!!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:38 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,261 times
There are people that move from the North to Florida and then decide it is a bit too hot and go back north a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville