Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 03:45 PM
jmc jmc started this thread

101 posts, read 862,684 times

Advertisements

Hello! I have already read enough negative posts about Jacksonville, so I'm just seeking some positive info about the place. I am just really wanting to read some encouraging things about what people LIKE about living there. We're probably moving there by early next year for a job transfer and leaving Southern CA because of the high cost of living, to be closer to family, etc. We have already visited JAX and know that we like the Southside and surrounding areas. For those of you living south of the city (we already know not to even consider the north or west sides...high crime rate there, etc.), what do you enjoy most about the place you call home? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 04:24 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,212,661 times
Default jax

i am not from jax'ville, but i do know of some friends, in their mid-twenties that moved there from orlando. they like jax'ville a lot better. they say it is more laid back, more of the "southern hospitality" (lots of fla natives), and the home prices are cheaper. plus, if you like more of the seasonal change (everytime i'm there in the winter i freeze my ass off) it gets colder in the winter. the summers are hot, but the ocean breeze helps.

i have visited jax'ville a few times, and i also happen to like the northern fla feel too. less hurricanes/hurricane insurance too!

the downside: it's a big town and there are a few areas that have higher crime, but there are like 750,000 ppl in the metro area (or something like that). how many cities of that size dont have bad areas?

Old 07-31-2006, 04:53 PM

105 posts, read 622,203 times
We are in the Intra-coastal area. Been here 10 years now. Jax has grown alot, still very managable. I drove downtown this morning at 7:30 AM. No traffic jams! I would not put much stock in the folks that say this is a church run political town. It has Target, Applebees, Outback like everywhere else and most folks are not deeply involved in local politics.
We don't go to church tho we are not atheists, and we have never had anyone question our religion etc... Wether or not this is a church run town has had little or no effect on us.
The one thing we don't really like about Jax is the lack of festivals, cultural events etc... Really does seem to be not much to do around here if you aren't into fishing and football.
It does get cold here, I would say bone chilling, raw nasty days in the winter.

Any other questions...just ask!!

Old 07-31-2006, 07:18 PM

27 posts, read 174,171 times
I too have chosen Jax as my choice for the Florida that fits me. My first need was the ocean (not the gulf, I am a Calif. Native--moved to Midwest and boredom--and found Florida appealing after visiting the usual tourist destinations, then driving A1A and Highway 98 through the panhandle.) I originally considered Melbourne/Cocoa Beach, but That area along with many others on the east side felt "dysfunctional".
I swore that Jax (based on the usual reputation of rednecks) wasn't in my sights, until we drove around Jax and it reminded me of my California home (San Diego, without the hills and mountains) but even more appealing was the "Southern Feel". Most of the people I met were native to Jax or at least the state, and they seemed to think that Jax was gettng better than the past. Other Florida areas are very appealing for the water and other outdoor activities and I feel that I could live anywhere in FLA, but I like Jax. (football and fishing?!!, YES)

Old 07-31-2006, 08:04 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,212,661 times
football and fishing!!! sounds good to me!!!

Old 07-31-2006, 09:12 PM

3 posts, read 17,187 times
I heard the schools are rated "LOW." Anyone know about the High Schools in Jacksonville?

Old 08-02-2006, 10:15 AM
jmc jmc started this thread

101 posts, read 862,684 times
Default Thanks for replies

Thank you KPASA, WELOVEANTIQUES, and BACKTOFLA for the good info on JAX. I appreciate the feedback! KPASA, we currently live in San Diego, too, so I am encouraged that a fellow San Diegan likes living in Jacksonville. I know it's hard to beat San Diego, but, again, it's nice to know that someone else from SD moved to Jacksonville and isn't miserable there.

As far as not being enough to do there, my husband and I love going to the movies now, even though we live in a big, vibrant city like SD, so at least I know we'll always have the movies wherever we go. We want to find a good church there, too...not the large one downtown, however. It's interesting to me that a large church has taken over the downtown area in Jacksonville, yet an extremely high murder and crime rate still exists....not to sound critical, but are they reaching out to their community at all, trying to bridge racial tension, etc.? Anyway, thanks again, and would love any further info on JAX.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:25 PM

47 posts, read 273,184 times
Default Good things about Jax...

I don't live in Jax., but reside in a city about 80 miles away. I do visit family frequently in Jax., so here's a visitor's opinion on the good stuff.
We enjoy shopping at the Avenues Mall and the oft-mentioned St. Johns Town Square. Restaurants and movie theatres abound. The University of North Florida also has many activities going on there.
There are many picturesque neighborhoods like Ortega, San Marco, Avondale/Riverside and Five Points. These areas feature many lovely old homes ranging from the 1880's-1950's in Victorian, Mediterranean, tudor, deco, and bungalow styles. San Marco and Avondale have unique little "business districts" dating from the 1920's-1930's in the Mediterranean style that was so popular in the area at that time. There are interesting little shops and cafes lining the streets in both areas.
The winter time climate is very enjoyable---sunny cool days perfect for a hike at the Timucuan Preserve, or a bike ride on the Baldwin-Jax. rail trail.
Spring time can be breathtaking with bright white dogwoods and lime green spring foliage. Azaleas are abundant in every hue of pink. There are many avenues of moss-draped live oak trees. The St. Johns River is very scenic, with manatees spotted on occasion.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:35 PM

57 posts, read 263,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky
I heard the schools are rated "LOW." Anyone know about the High Schools in Jacksonville?
On the whole, the Duval County School system is poor, but there are several "A" rated schools, namely Bishop Kenny, Stanton College Prep, Paxson. There are several great, albeit costly, private schools that include Bolles, St. John's Country Day...the latter is in Clay County, which has several great public schools. St. John's County also has a great public school system, although the burgeoning population boom is starting to crowd them.

Cheers,
PMMD

Old 08-06-2006, 08:14 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,111,194 times
I just found these forums
I moved to Jacksonville 14 years ago from NJ
Bought my first house in Ponte Vedra We needed more room but prices had increased so much in Ponte Vedra that we went back over the ditch(inter coastal) and built a home in the 9A/Baymeadows section of the Southside.

Here are some of the reasons we love it here.
My husband is 20 mins from work (downtown) we have an elementary and middle school right down the street both "A" schools.
We are minutes from great shopping
12 miles from the ocean ,can jump on a dive boat and in 45 mins we are diving.
We have enjoyed many evenings at the Symphony and the Theater
I have met allot of really nice people. Sure you have your "jerks" but you have that anywhere.

Areas I like are the Southside, St.Johns county, Orange Park(Flemming Island area) you can get more house for the money in OP but if you work on this side of town having to cross the "Buckman Bridge" can be allot of traffic.
Where to live will depend on where you work and what you want to spend.

I really planned on staying here forever and the only reason we may leave is a possible job transfer to Atlanta in 6 to 9 months.

Karla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville