Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:50 PM

33 posts, read 148,486 times

Advertisements

I signed up for a RainSoft softener demo at Home depot. They did an excellent demo at our house but finally quoted a price about 7000 for installation of water softener, air purifier and a tap near sink.

Anybody tried this softener. How much we can spend on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 06:29 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,736,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceguy View Post

Anybody tried this softener. How much we can spend on this?
I didn't but my neighbor did. You could do alot better pricewise. Do yourself a favor and shop around but this is a very aggressive company that will not take no for an answer. Affordable Water installed ours (just the softener) for $1,200.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:32 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,503,839 times
I bought one with my first house, back in 2000. I've moved it around a few times since then, and still have it in our current house. It was quite a bit cheaper than $7000, since I've had it since 2000. I think I paid $3800. I'm pleased with it. I actually tried a Kenmore branded unit at one house I had and, honestly, it just didn't seem to work as well as the Rainsoft unit.

I wish I knew what to tell you about pricing. The product is a fine one (well, until another poster comes here and says exactly the opposite. Ha!), and I truly have no complaints about it. They follow up with me once a year or so, to come service it @ 80 bucks a pop, which usually involves changing some O-rings and making sure it cycles properly. The undersink filter in the kitchen is pricey @ $100, but it supposedly lasts for 2 years. (It's a big one!) Salt is still reasonably priced, since I buy it at Lowe's. Keep the salt tank full, so you can maximize the unit's efficiency.

I don't know about that air purifier you mentioned. I'd probably pass on that, unless you think you really need it. I guess if you never left your house and never opened your doors/windows, then you might want your air purified. LOL Seriously, though, I know nothing of those air purifiers.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:30 AM

53 posts, read 212,688 times
Default Whoa

We had Rain soft come and give their Schpeel. Could not get the dude out of our house...he even called his boss, and had that guy talk to me on the phone. IMO way over-priced. Next in line price wise was Culligan, then Sears-Kenmore. We went with the Kenmore and have been satisfied. It's been in a year. We spent around $1500, compared to the $8k Rain Soft wanted. No way was I gonna pay that much for water softening. RS appeard to be a good product, just pricey.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:39 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,508,201 times
Excuse my lack of knowledge, but why do people need a water softener?

Old 08-05-2009, 11:38 AM

From here: HowStuffWorks "How does a water softener work?"

We call water "hard" if it contains a lot of calcium or magnesium dissolved in it. Hard water causes two problems:
  • It can cause "scale" to form on the inside of pipes, water heaters, tea kettles an*d so on. The calcium and magnesium precipitate out of the water and stick to things. The scale doesn't conduct heat well and it also reduces the flow through pipes. Eventually, pipes can become completely clogged.
  • It reacts with soap to form a sticky scum, and also reduces the soap's ability to lather. Since most of us like to wash with soap, hard water makes a bath or shower less productive.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:17 PM

33 posts, read 148,486 times
It seems product is good but their marketing is aggressive. I can not spend that big money for water softener.

I do not have water source near my garage. To fix the softener in the garage I need to dug and lay the pipeline passing through my drive way which is expensive.

I heard there are some softeners which you can keep near the source ,out of the house. Do we need to take permission from HOA?

Old 08-06-2009, 07:16 AM

I know Rainsoft, and other co's, will place the unit wherever it's possible. They'll even lay some pipe to get there. If it needs to be in your garage, they'll lay the necessary pipe to get it there. For most HOA's, as long as it's screened from street view, it shouldn't be a problem. But, if that's your only option, then I'd get permission to place it outside, prior to purchase.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:09 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,736,562 times
Unless you have no other option I would not recommend installing a water softener system outside. The control mechanism is the only part that is subject to fail and that control head would be exposed to the elements and might require service more often than if it were situated in your garage.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:11 AM

Great point, cricketfan. And, it's possible that the control mechanism has the shortest warranty on it. My Rainsoft system has a lifetime warranty on all parts, EXCEPT the timer clock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville