Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 10:43 PM

247 posts, read 538,402 times

Advertisements

Hi, i dont live there nor am I planning on moving there soon but I was just wondering what you think of the quality of livibility there regarding the everyday things such as respect,customer service,municipal services, cleanliness,crime,driving attitudes and things like these that directly contribute to your general well being .Thanks for your honest feedback and feel free to add additional comments about your overall experience and feeling there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 06:29 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,379,888 times
Moved here this past January and we like it......except for the lack of jobs (at least in our careers) and people here don't seem to be too friendly. But, we also think the job situation and the "unfriendliness" is basically in all cities, but not in small farm towns (like where I grew up).
Overall, not bad, not bad at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No attitude View Post
Hi, i dont live there nor am I planning on moving there soon but I was just wondering what you think of the quality of livibility there regarding the everyday things such as respect,customer service,municipal services, cleanliness,crime,driving attitudes and things like these that directly contribute to your general well being .Thanks for your honest feedback and feel free to add additional comments about your overall experience and feeling there.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:57 AM

976 posts, read 1,112,978 times
Jax is the friendliest big city in FL by a large margin. So just imagine what Orlando, Tampa, and Miami are like LoveBoating!!! Unfortunately we dont have the southern hospitality like we used to in most of FL. A lot different from other friendly big cities like Nashville, Charlotte and Atlanta.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:34 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,509,057 times
I must have missed the friendly areas of Charlotte.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:46 AM

Sorry to say, but EVEN Charlotte was not that friendly......at least to us it wasn't! We lived just north of there (Huntersville) and basically NO ONE would say a word to us unless we said something first!
People who have kids, can always meet people......other parents of the kids that go to school!
Young folks make friends at college!
We visited a Square Dance Club last week and the 20 people there were all very friendly towards us, as most of those clubs are. They are always in need/want more club members, so "friendliness" is the key to that! Problem was, these people were just to old for us by 10 plus years! And it pretty much showed in their dancing! We are 60/61 years old and former square dancers, but these folks danced like they were all in their 80's! Yuk!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Jax is the friendliest big city in FL by a large margin. So just imagine what Orlando, Tampa, and Miami are like LoveBoating!!! Unfortunately we dont have the southern hospitality like we used to in most of FL. A lot different from other friendly big cities like Nashville, Charlotte and Atlanta.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:47 AM

Us to!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
I must have missed the friendly areas of Charlotte.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:16 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,737,128 times
I also agree that Jax is a friendly city. But it all depends on your expectations. When a complete stranger says hi or smiles or starts a conversation, I call that "friendly". You get that all the time in Jax, never in cities like NYC or Boston. On the other hand if you expect to be invited over for dinner or a drink here in Jax by someone that you just met, then you are in the wrong city.

As for quality of life, that's a larger question and I'll leave that to others.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:17 AM

Wife/I do that all the time......just don't have it done to us!
We must be in the wrong area of Jax because we sure don't see that "friendliness" here! We'd like to find out just where all this "friendliness" is being found......at Wal Mart, Denny's, Red Lobster......where in the "H" is it?? The only people that will even talk to us are the people that work for these places.......and they are paid to say "Hi" or talk in general. Even people at the church we have attended act totally "stuck up" and "inpersonal"! Real hard crowd to break into!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
I also agree that Jax is a friendly city. But it all depends on your expectations. When a complete stranger says hi or smiles or starts a conversation, I call that "friendly". You get that all the time in Jax, never in cities like NYC or Boston. On the other hand if you expect to be invited over for dinner or a drink here in Jax by someone that you just met, then you are in the wrong city.

As for quality of life, that's a larger question and I'll leave that to others.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:17 PM

204 posts, read 635,340 times
I hate everything about the city, but I suck it up due the most important thing in my life: family.

Jacksonville is literally the last place I want to be in the world.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:34 PM

90 posts, read 247,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeGuy9 View Post
I hate everything about the city, but I suck it up due the most important thing in my life: family.

Jacksonville is literally the last place I want to be in the world.
I just moved from Jax to Daytona. People were friendly but still have southern views. They marry really young but family is strong there..unlike Miami (where I lived) I didn't like the layout of the city. Jobs were horrible but the cost of living is cheaper than Miami.

It depends on you as a person. If you want a slower pace of life and are married..then it's perfect. I moved to Riverside b/c someone said it would change my views..ugh. Dangerous, my building was HOT because it was old (like most places) and all you have is Five Points which most of the stores are closing down.

I think it ranked as a top ten for most depressing cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville