Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 05:16 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,982,275 times

Advertisements

"While at Three Layers I picked up a pamphlet published by the SPAR Council (Springfield Preservation and Revitalization). It's titled "A Walk through the Lovely Parks of Historic Springfield", and it contains a walking map highlighting a number of historic places between Hubbard and Pearl (somewhat following Hogan's Creek). I have every intention of taking that walk in the very near future - and I will not be packing an AK47."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFan27 View Post
I'll go on that walk with you, if you can do it when I am not at work.
Ok, it's a plan :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 08:23 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,275,804 times
love connection?

Old 12-03-2009, 08:29 AM

402 posts, read 1,055,735 times
The crime in mandrin, atleast violent crime, is no where near what it is in the downtown area. You may feel just as safe in the springfield area but it is a fact that the area is not near as safe, especially the surrounding areas.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:56 AM

oooh.........scarey!

Will you be coming on the Holiday Home Tour parks71?

Or don't you want to risk it? (ha)

Old 12-03-2009, 11:48 AM

250 posts, read 706,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
The crime in mandrin, atleast violent crime, is no where near what it is in the downtown area. You may feel just as safe in the springfield area but it is a fact that the area is not near as safe, especially the surrounding areas.
well, i have no stats. don't really care at this point. however, i live in a what would be considered by most to be a nice gated community in mandarin complete with amenities. we've had everything here from a crack house down the street, shooting at the amenities, car robbery (more than one), house robbery, known sex offender, controversy from people attacking the sex offender, and so much vandalism that the homeowners association had to get a closed circuit security system. the problems have been linked to both residents and outsiders. it kind of reminds me of the documentary United Gates of America. i can't really say that i've experienced this much when i lived at Lake Park on the north side (even though all wasn't sunny and green there either). so let's just say i'm skeptical when it comes to people stereotyping any particular parts of town.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:42 PM

Yeah, I dont consider that a nice gated community, thats for sure.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:15 AM

one last night to go on the home tour, parks71.

you won't be disappointed.......there were a ton of people last night, even in the bad wheather.....actaully a lot nicer than i expected.

educate yourself a little bit...heck....i'll buy you the ticket! Seriously!

Old 12-06-2009, 04:17 PM

870 posts, read 2,179,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
love connection?
Huh?

Old 12-07-2009, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the invite FSU. I am going to pass though, I plan on moving my family out west to colorado in the next year or so. We want a change of pace from the hot humid weather to the freezing cold weather. One extreme to the other! Just curious though, what schools do people go to when familys move to springfield? Seems like that would be a big factor hurting the springfield community when considering moving there.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:46 PM

I was wondering that myself.

I asked the couple that live down the block. As for elemeantary the zoned school is an F or D, so parents are allowed to send thier kids elsewhere. That's what they do.

The neighborhood has a great middle school, Darnell Cookman. It's a magnet, but if you are zoned for it you automatically get in.

The high school stinks, but some locals have thier kids attend there anyways. They say it's ok. Nothing that can't be managed at least, while others attend one of the various magnets.

Also, a trick I learn when working with elementary kids. A lot of people througout the city use the old "relatives address" trick. Little Susie is living with Aunt Kim in another nieghborhood (wink wink), so Susie gets to attend that school. I don't know anyone in my area doing that, but I've heard about that happening in general before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville