Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 63,417 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I'm a professional photographer vacationing in Jax with my family in March and I'm looking for some awesome places to schedule a couple photo sessions while we're in town. AND some great places to take pics of my own kids.

Any recommendations?

The key is I'm looking for spots with variety (not just a park, but lots to photograph at that particular park!)...

What sounds good?
beautiful parks (lots of green, Spanish moss, trees, unique!)
urban setting (graffiti, brick, fences, color, tattered doorways)
great natural location (beach area, nature preserve, grasses)
historic sites (plantation, older buildings)

Any other areas (if you remember a bright red door somewhere) would be helpful, too! I love color, vintage, unique, fun sessions!

Thank you SO very much in advance.
~Maggie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 10:29 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
1.Jacksonville Landing by the St. John's River
2.Amelia Island State Park by the ocean
Northeast Region
904-251-2320
3.Pumpkin Hill Creek Preserve State Park
Northeast Region
904-696-5980
4.Huguenot Memorial Park (by the ocean)
10980 Heckscher Drive
Jacksonville, FL 32226
5.Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park (Hanna Park) (by the ocean)
500 Wonderwood Drive
Jacksonville, FL 32233

Should be some great photo spots at these places!

Old 02-03-2010, 11:01 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
You will get MANY informed answers from www.metrojacksonville.com if you care to ask there.

They have a lot of pictorials themselves, and thier crowd can give you very detailed info.

It's thier thing, per say.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:04 PM

150 posts, read 576,873 times
I second Hanna Park. There are park areas with lots of gorgeous older trees covered in moss and there are also beach locations.

If you want to do something truly "Jacksonville", I would try to get some photos in a marshy area. That is typical Jacksonville to me.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:07 PM

627 posts, read 1,295,341 times
I saw a place on the Travel Channel... I forgot the program, but the place is a hidden grove of some kind on the bank of the St John's river... I totally forgot the name as I really wasn't paying attention until I heard "Jacksonville". I was in the middle of a call.

The place is supposed to be not even well known to the city's residents. It is also not easy to find. Weddings and similar types of events are held there.

Anyone know what I am talking about? That place would be ideal for Photography.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:20 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
If you're in Jax, make sure to take the time to run down to St. Augustine and visit the lighthouse. There are some beautiful trees on the grounds, and it's a nice little history lesson for the kids.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:10 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Default These are 2 streets I always think are gorgeous...

For an "Old Florida" feel, be sure to check out:

Nine Mile Road

Or what's left of Nine Mile anyway . Most of it is now known as "International Golf Parkway" in Saint Johns County. If you are heading south on I95 and exit onto Int'l Golf Pkwy, you want to make a LEFT, away from The World Golf Village. You'll drive for 2 or 3 minutes and suddenly you'll be in a heavily wooded stretch - that's Nine Mile Road. Hanna Park will have a lot of the same deep vegetation, but if you need a road for your shot, then Nine Mile is good.

Magnolia Avenue

You know we have the Fountain of Youth, right? The whole Ponce de Leon thing? Well if you go to the Fountain of Youth, the street it is located on is beautifully draped with old Live Oaks and hanging Spanish Moss....very dreamy looking :

Ponce de Leon's FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH

Old 02-05-2010, 08:19 PM

627 posts, read 1,295,341 times
Isn't there also an old Fort somewhere north of St Augustine? Built by the Spanish? It's right off the ocean.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:05 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei Han View Post
Isn't there also an old Fort somewhere north of St Augustine? Built by the Spanish? It's right off the ocean.
Well, there's the Castillo de San Marcos on the bay in downtown St. Aug:

Castillo de San Marcos National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

There's also Fort Matanzas, south of St. Aug but just in from the ocean:

http://www.nps.gov/FOMA/index.htm

There's also a funky castle a guy built in the 80's....the 1980's! ! It's north of St. Aug, in Vilano Beach area:

Castle Otttis Home

Really, there's a slew of forts, mansions, castle-like structures...if that's what the OP is looking for, they can google away and find a ton of places in the area .

Old 02-07-2010, 11:57 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Southbank Riverwalk
Hemming Plaza Skyway Station
San Marco Skyway Station
Jax Beach Pier
Treaty Oak Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville