Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 05:20 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
Love the concept. Agreed with Robyn on the roof line concerns though! I am a huge fan of mid century modern (love what Frank Lloyd Wright contributed to the design and architecture world!) and wish I didnt have to travel to the Chicago area (or Texas or California) and elsewhere see some of my favorite designs and structures.

Reading some of these articles about Jacksonville can be so depressing.. I keep getting the 'too little too late' feeling about our city when reading these publications, and it's unfortunate.

Edit: just did some more reading on Henry Klutho.. and I'm fascinated!!! I had no idea..
Another point of information. It's not too little too late IMO. More like backsliding. There used to be a store in "downtown" San Marco that sold very good modern home accessories (carried Alessi). Gone for quite a few years now. Another contemporary home furnishings store was opened on - I think Henricks Ave. (but could have been San Marco) - fairly close to the River - perhaps 5 years ago. Lasted only a couple of years. Now - it's impossible to get stuff like that here. But if any place new and interesting opens up - I'll be the first to check it out . Robyn

P.S. If you want to look into a more recent JAX "prairie school" architect - look up Bob Broward (I think he's still alive).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 05:32 PM

AliciaMaria - Another place to put on your "must see" list if you're a FLW fan is Taliesin West in Scottsdale AZ. The good news is that the tours in the summer are very extensive (people are in residence during the winter and tours are more limited). Bad news is summer in Scottsdale in places without A/C (like TW) will make you long for those cool Florida summers . Bring lots of water! Robyn

Old 09-06-2010, 08:07 PM

622 posts, read 1,665,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Another point of information. It's not too little too late IMO. More like backsliding. There used to be a store in "downtown" San Marco that sold very good modern home accessories (carried Alessi). Gone for quite a few years now. Another contemporary home furnishings store was opened on - I think Henricks Ave. (but could have been San Marco) - fairly close to the River - perhaps 5 years ago. Lasted only a couple of years. Now - it's impossible to get stuff like that here. But if any place new and interesting opens up - I'll be the first to check it out . Robyn

P.S. If you want to look into a more recent JAX "prairie school" architect - look up Bob Broward (I think he's still alive).
Ive been doing some reading about him.. read that he was an apprentice of FLWs. Very cool! I love learning new things and exploring them til Dave goes crazy from hearing me ramble about them.

As for the more modern type stuff, Fort Lauderdale used to have a plethora of shops like this, mostly around US1/Sunrise Blvd area, near Victoria Park, Wilton Manor, etc.. many of those places didnt survive the housing crash and have since shut down. Of course, there are still places like that around down south, but its not anything like it was back during the boom.. 2003? 2004?

Quote:
AliciaMaria - Another place to put on your "must see" list if you're a FLW fan is Taliesin West in Scottsdale AZ. The good news is that the tours in the summer are very extensive (people are in residence during the winter and tours are more limited). Bad news is summer in Scottsdale in places without A/C (like TW) will make you long for those cool Florida summers . Bring lots of water! Robyn
Oh yes.. I'm actually an "octagon society" member through Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust - Home I havent had a chance to visit any of the other homes, but it's on my list of things to do between now and May. I'll have to plan accordingly.. AZ is NOT one of my favorite places to be during the hotter months!

Old 09-07-2010, 10:56 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,280,641 times
Quote:
Assuming your statement is correct (about Google Earth being out of date) - I can't imagine that any place in Florida is better now than 2 years ago. And no bank is going to lend big bucks in today's lending environment so you can build/rehab a $200k+ house that's next to a $20k rental bungalow without central heat. The real estate "boom" is over - finished - and won't return for a long time IMO.

And since you seem to hold yourself out as someone who knows something - what do you think it costs to take a house built in 1905 - and install a central HVAC system? Or would you be content living with a fireplace and a couple of window A/Cs (assuming you replaced all of the electrical in one of these old houses so it had the juice to run a window A/C)? Robyn
I can speak to both.

To your amazement, there are many places that are "better" than they were 2 years ago. If you'd like a brief list, let me know.

Yes, access to money is a the biggest obstacle to major renovations right now. So, for a major renovation, you either you have to get a propety very cheap, which is not unusual, or you have to already be financially capable, also not unusual.

Thankfully, there are many properties that don't need major renovations, and many new construction options.

Installing HVAC in an old house, any house, is expensive. Usually looking at $10k at least, depending. Electrical is always updated as well.

I can tell you're not too familar with the subject.

Your opinions are always entertaining though, if not informed.

But you're learning.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
I can speak to both.

To your amazement, there are many places that are "better" than they were 2 years ago. If you'd like a brief list, let me know.

Yes, access to money is a the biggest obstacle to major renovations right now. So, for a major renovation, you either you have to get a propety very cheap, which is not unusual, or you have to already be financially capable, also not unusual.

Thankfully, there are many properties that don't need major renovations, and many new construction options.

Installing HVAC in an old house, any house, is expensive. Usually looking at $10k at least, depending. Electrical is always updated as well.

I can tell you're not too familar with the subject.

Your opinions are always entertaining though, if not informed.

But you're learning.
I assume the HVAC would be a lot more (because replacing an existing system with a new energy efficient system costs almost that much - been there done that recently). So do you know anyone who put in a HVAC system in an old house without existing ductwork? And how much did it cost? Robyn

P.S. Do the ARB rules in Springfield allow renovations that don't put in central HVAC? Do they allow window A/C units? It's pretty standard in most middle and up communities to prohibit window A/C units.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:51 PM

doing research on something came across soemthing cool
30% of mayors office leadership lives in the neighborhood 3/10

kerri stewart chief administraion officer runs the city of Jacksonville day to day
lisa rineman policy director manages local legislative matters day to day
mickey miller chief financial officer runs the city of Jacksonville budget

i was surprised i saw that 2 residents are seriously contenders for city council too what other one square mile area has that?

Old 09-14-2010, 03:55 PM

What neighborhood? BTW - it's Lisa Rinaman (if you're going to discuss one of the "first families" of Jacksonville - helps to spell their name right ). Robyn

Old 09-23-2010, 02:06 PM

BTW - the house was approved at last night's HPC meeting.

This will be making news in Jax.

It'll be the first house of it's kind in Jacksonville, and especially in an historic district.

Super green. Super progressive. Super cool, period.

And 2 great new neighbors.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:53 PM

Who was in favor of the project - and who objected (in general terms)? Do the people who objected have a right to appeal? Robyn

Old 09-24-2010, 01:32 PM

Noone spoke against it.

Click below for video of the owners just after it was approved.

They're super happy and quite emotional!

walnut house: modern sustainable home approved for Jacksonville’s Springfield Historic District! | jacksonville modern architecture green design build firm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville