Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 02:33 PM

159 posts, read 655,803 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen any of these here in NE FL? I'm becoming infatuated with the idea of them since there is virtually no maintenence compared to a box house, they hold up to hurricanes and other things. (Of course I would never dream of putting one in the burbs). I've seen them down in the Keys and thought it quite odd until I found out about the hurricane thing.

I think these would be good for people who live alone or don't want to have to deal with the maintenance issues of box houses. (Thinking outside the box here).

I have never seen one for sale. I guess the people that build them must love them. Has anyone here ever owned one?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 08:13 PM

238 posts, read 887,566 times
We just saw a bunch of new ones going up the other day - under construction - near Foster and Atlantic.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:29 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,206,581 times
On Peach, between Beach and Atlantic, there are some hideously painted dome homes going up. May be the ones you are referring to, Holly.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:39 PM

238 posts, read 887,566 times
Yep that's the location. When I was a kid I thought they were kind of "cool". Way too eccentric and too odd for my taste now though.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:23 PM

Me, too, Holly. Even now, if they are on some land.... but those on Peach- what's up with them, do you think? One larger one, two smaller ones and it looks as though they will be connected with a walkway. And the colors.....I've got to get a pix and post here, BC no one can imagine them without seeing for themselves.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:19 AM

445 posts, read 1,344,031 times
I think dome houses are awesome, but I do think they work better on acreage (or, in a community of other dome homes), rather than shoehorned amidst a bunch of conventional construction.

I own some property in Crystal River that, for a few different reasons, I might have to employ non-standard construction techniques in order to build.
I've looked at everything from big perma-Yurts, dome structures, conventional kit houses, portable African Tent Lodges- basically, every alternative construction technique there is. Domes have always been a strong contender... Also, if you've ever been in one, they exude a sort of "invitingness" and warmth that boxes don't.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:22 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,482,219 times
There was a front page article in today's WSJ about the difficulty of getting loans on non-conventional "environmentally correct" types of homes. If it's hard to get loans - it's probably hard to get insurance too. Rbyn

Old 03-20-2010, 05:49 PM

We went back for pix. The home is on Live Oak at Foster.

The main house has three floors. We were surprised how big it was inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Geodesic Dome Homes-dome1.jpg   Geodesic Dome Homes-dome2.jpg   Geodesic Dome Homes-dome6.jpg  

Old 03-20-2010, 05:55 PM

More dome pix. It looks like a two-car garage is to the left and a one-car garage on the right. Or maybe something less conventional The guys working on it said it was a single family home.
Attached Thumbnails
Geodesic Dome Homes-dome3.jpg   Geodesic Dome Homes-dome4.jpg   Geodesic Dome Homes-dome5.jpg  

Old 03-20-2010, 06:53 PM

238 posts, read 782,321 times
wow that is soo bizarre! kinda tacky but also cool. I think jax needs some "different"kinda architecture like this though. All new houses (especially on that part of town) all look the damn same... either block or stucco. Itd be pretty cool if there was a particular neighborhood or street that was all Dome houses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville