Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,810 times

Advertisements

I am an Interior Designer in Washington, DC and would really like to move to a city with a beach. I tried San Diego and it wasn't the place for me, and I have lived in South Carolina and loved it.

It's time to move to a new city with a beach on the East Coast. I know nothing about Jacksonville, except I did look at going to college there. I would like to visit but don't know where to start.

Where would a 31 year old single female want to live? Currently I live in a condo in a close nit community 2 miles from downtown. All the amenities one needs are within walking distance but I do have a car.

This is just the beginning of my exploration into moving. Any suggestions on where to stay for a visit and where to look for a place to live? Any place one should avoid?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 07:16 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
Young professionals tend to gravitate towards the neighborhoods that surrond Downtown or the Beaches, which are about 30 minutes away. The Beaahes are mostly suburbia & condos, while the historic neighborhoods will be most just that....historic, with some new modern condos too.

Here are some good exisiting threads talking/featuring these these areas:

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...ksonville.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...r-premium.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...minnesota.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...kable-jax.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...florida-2.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...-downtown.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...community.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...s-females.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...riverside.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...-michigan.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...-live-jax.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...spots-jax.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...-avondale.html

Many of them will have photos and links to lots of good info.

Also, this website/forum is generally frequented by young professionals: www.metrojacksonville.com
and would be a great place to gather additional info.

As well as: www.riverside-avondale.com, www.myspringfield.org, and www.smpsjax.com

Apartments/housing in these areas can be found here (these companies specialize in these areas, and can give you all kinds of good information too):

Atkinson Realty Group, Inc.

Traditions Realty Real Estate and Property Management Jacksonville, FL

Dwellings, A Real Estate Company™ / Jacksonville, Florida <--- this one has good info on these neighborhoods.

Gonna take a guess, is this what your looking for? : 1661 Riverside

Old 06-02-2010, 01:12 PM

45 posts, read 172,468 times
Hey, my wife and I moved from DC about a year ago. We're both in our early thirties so we may have a similar perspective. I lived in Bethesda and she lived in Fairfax. Jacksonville is very suburban especially compared to DC. Now that I've been here a year I could tell you what I've learned about the city and what I would have done differently if I had the chance to do it over again. But this website is a good place to start. I learned alot before moving here. Just look through some of the threads that fsu813 posted to give you an idea of the city. If you have any specific questions you can PM me.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:04 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times
Moved from DC as well 3 years ago (wife & I). Let me give you the advice that I was never given. If you're used to living in those areas of DC (we were in similar places there too), don't move to the suburbs here. You'll spend all day driving to the areas of town that actually have a pulse to them. And that includes living at the beach as well, unless you REALLY want beach living. The beach is out there all by itself & isn't close to anything.

If you like where you are now in DC, I wouldn't even look in any other places here besides Riverside, Avondale, Springfield and (maybe) San Marco. San Marco has more of a suburban feel than those others though, to me anyways.

Choose carefully & if your realtor isn't familiar with these areas & tries to push you into something suburban, drop them & get someone else.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:50 PM

250 posts, read 706,495 times
fsu, seems to always know the right things to say in these type of threads. i cosign his post. no need to rehash the same old where to live question again when those threads are posted everyday and the same answers are given.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:59 PM

310 posts, read 868,961 times
It would not be wise to move to Jacksonville unless you have a job already lined up. There are quite a few unemployed interior decorators around here. Just trying to give you a realistic heads-up. The job market in DC is FAR and away better than anything Jacksonville (or all of FL) has for the present, and probably at least the next decade. People's disposable incomes level have severely dropped so this affects those who are in the decorating business.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:10 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post

Choose carefully & if your realtor isn't familiar with these areas & tries to push you into something suburban, drop them & get someone else.
^^^Such good advice. I really feel for people who have to be entirely dependent on a realtor to help them choose a place to live. This is just too big of a city - too spread out - for every realtor to know every area. If the realtor doesn't have enough years behind them, they'll probably just recommend the far flung new developments. It's an easier sell since the developers will do much of the work for the realtor.

This is a niche city. Too bad more realtors don't take a chance and market themselves that way.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:27 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,353 times
We're coming from the D.C. area too. We are in Burke (Fairfax County), Virginia. Our movers come in three weeks. It's almost go time for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville