Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,024,352 times

Advertisements

I love the design and classic styling of the older Jaguar XJs. Any XJ from 1968 to 2009, when the current one was introduced. The current one is okay, but to me it lacks identification with the Jaguar looks of grace, space, and pace.

I have always wondered what prompts someone to buy a Jaguar when a comparable BMW offers as good or better driving dynamics, a Mercedes offers great value and road presence, and a Lexus LS is as smooth and quiet along with much better reliability.

This brings me to the question: what years of the XJs have the best reliability? Are the last years of the classic-styled ones (2000+, till 2009) the most reliable? Or do they still have lots of issues? I've heard that the quality improved after Ford took over Jaguar in 1989. If I were to buy one used, would it be a terrible idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 12:55 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
The best years in my opinion were 1995-1997. Prior to 1995 they suffered from a lot of electrical problems and the ones after 1997 came with the v8 which wasn't as reliable as the straight six. I think people buy them for their unique styling and very elegant interiors they also have very soft and smooth rides. In many cases smoother than BMW and Mercedes. The newer ones 2004 to present get very good gas millage for a large car with a v8 due to their light weight aluminum bodies.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:26 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
I think the current XJ is simply gorgeous. If I had the money I would buy one over a comparable BMW/BMZ/Audi. This is coming from a 2007 5 series owner.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:49 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
While BMW is seen as the "driving machine", it is a machine with no heart and soul in it's design. Jaguar XJ is a nice looking sedan with graceful styling both inside and out. My wife and I saw one on the road and we snapped our necks to look at it's beauty. BMW to us is like a Corolla, nearly invisible.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:04 PM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
My experience has been with Series III XJs, three of them- the 3.4 (underpowered), the 4.2, and the 5.3 (deliciously smooth and rapid).

In their day they offered a very good ride and to my eyes were gorgeous to look at. There were parts that were beautifully hand made, like the bonnet that was made from three pressed sheets of metal.

Steering was over-light and given the cost of the car reliability was not as good as it should have been. The worst thing was driving the V12 when it was a week old and the complete car dying at a gas station when the computer control box gave up.

That all said I was extremely upset to see the car go as driving it at 5mph or 130mph was always a special occasion.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:19 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,024,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
While BMW is seen as the "driving machine", it is a machine with no heart and soul in it's design. Jaguar XJ is a nice looking sedan with graceful styling both inside and out. My wife and I saw one on the road and we snapped our necks to look at it's beauty. BMW to us is like a Corolla, nearly invisible.
Could it be because BMWs are much more common in general? 3 and 5-series sell in good numbers. Certainly the 7-series are not so common, bu the new XJs are also not selling, at least in my area. The older ones are more often seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
My experience has been with Series III XJs, three of them- the 3.4 (underpowered), the 4.2, and the 5.3 (deliciously smooth and rapid).

In their day they offered a very good ride and to my eyes were gorgeous to look at. There were parts that were beautifully hand made, like the bonnet that was made from three pressed sheets of metal.

Steering was over-light and given the cost of the car reliability was not as good as it should have been. The worst thing was driving the V12 when it was a week old and the complete car dying at a gas station when the computer control box gave up.

That all said I was extremely upset to see the car go as driving it at 5mph or 130mph was always a special occasion.
I am curious: in England (and elsewhere), do Jaguars have a poor reputation for reliability as they have in the US? I am speaking with respect to other luxury cars.
Also, how and where did you manage to drive it at 130 MPH in the UK?

Old 10-06-2012, 02:06 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Nowadays Jaguar have a good reputation for reliability. I'll see if I can dig some statistics out.

Regarding the 130mph, did I say that it was done in the UK?

Old 10-06-2012, 09:06 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Today's Jaguars have a terrible reliabilility rating. It appears ownership by Tata has not improved anything (quality related). CR rates them at or near the bottom.

Jaguar made a controversial move to radically change their style. Sales had been declining and too many buyers were moving away from classic Jaguar beauty. More and more buyers were choosing other luxury brands.

I like the classic XJ. And even if their are some better years than others, I don't think ANY generation of Jaguar will be considered reliable. They may have acceptable reliability, but not "good" reliability.

I owned a 2000 S-type V8. I drove it for 127,000 miles. I loved the car, but it was not trouble free. Never stranded me, but it came close twice. Both for a failed thermostat that almost overheated the car.

I still like Jaguar. I like the new ones. The interiors are just beautiful. They are softer than a BMW, but not soft. Make sense?

Old 10-06-2012, 09:41 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
I love the way the Jags look but I see tons of inexpensive XJ8's on craigslist with very low miles and makes me wary. It could be because Jag owners tend to be more, ahem, advanced in age or the car spends most of its life in the shop, or just too unreliable to be a daily driver.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:53 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Could it be because BMWs are much more common in general? 3 and 5-series sell in good numbers. Certainly the 7-series are not so common, bu the new XJs are also not selling, at least in my area. The older ones are more often seen.

I am curious: in England (and elsewhere), do Jaguars have a poor reputation for reliability as they have in the US? I am speaking with respect to other luxury cars.
Also, how and where did you manage to drive it at 130 MPH in the UK?
No, it's the lack if styling. There's a saying about BMW sedans, "3 sausages, 3 sizes".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar