U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2009, 11:32 AM
 
Location: New Orleans
1,976 posts, read 3,202,566 times
Reputation: 2792

Advertisements

What do you think? The 2004-09's were beautiful. This '10 reminds me of the XF on steroids

2010 Jaguar XJ Front Three Quarters View Photo (http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0907_2010_jaguar_xj_first_look/photo_01.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2009, 11:33 AM
 
10,494 posts, read 23,677,930 times
Reputation: 6680
It looks like a Volvo s80 from the front, and a Bentley from the rear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2009, 11:40 AM
 
Location: WI
3,871 posts, read 9,223,433 times
Reputation: 2345
i swear i saw one the other day; all i could say is it was the nicest looking Jag i've ever seen...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2009, 11:53 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
5,996 posts, read 14,213,378 times
Reputation: 4034
I actually like the new one, Jaguars design team is doing amazing things right now. The XK, XF and XJ are all incredibly beautiful cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2009, 12:01 PM
 
Location: New Orleans
1,976 posts, read 3,202,566 times
Reputation: 2792
The XF is awesome, just that the XJ doesn't have that luxury/estate look anymore. I don't even know what to call it now. *Shrugs*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2009, 12:55 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
5,996 posts, read 14,213,378 times
Reputation: 4034
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywatcher75 View Post
The XF is awesome, just that the XJ doesn't have that luxury/estate look anymore. I don't even know what to call it now. *Shrugs*
I think the problem with the previous design was that it looked overly dated. No matter how many modern touches they put on it, the exterior design dated back to the 1970's and it wasn't working for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2009, 03:00 PM
 
9,831 posts, read 20,001,431 times
Reputation: 7621
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I think the problem with the previous design was that it looked overly dated. No matter how many modern touches they put on it, the exterior design dated back to the 1970's and it wasn't working for them.
It was funny I had my hands on a brand new XJ last year while working with the XK and XF and it was shocking how old fashioned it felt getting inside. It was like stepping back 30-50 years. However the irony was that the XJ from 2003 onwards was a very modern high tech chassis. They just wrecked it dressing it up in old clothes.

Hopefully this new one will be good to drive like the XF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Portland, OR
1,066 posts, read 1,874,508 times
Reputation: 1444
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I think the problem with the previous design was that it looked overly dated. No matter how many modern touches they put on it, the exterior design dated back to the 1970's and it wasn't working for them.
Well, as the owner of an 04 XJ (X350), I'm probably going to have a different point of view The 2010 XJ is a nice car, no doubt, but it should not have been called the XJ, in the same way the XF wasn't called the S-type (which it replaced). The XJ shape has been around since 1973, and is a recognizable icon on the road. The '04+ XJ was a remarkable piece of engineering, Aluminum chassis, panels and engine gave it a remarkably light kerb weight for its size, which in turn lead to a very stiff chassis and excellent handling, especially with the air suspension. With regard to the interior, it isn't the techno gizmo overload that you find in a 7-series BMW or Infinity, but it has great attention to detail and a simplicity in operation that to me is very appealing.
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Jaguar XJ-xj8.1.jpg   2010 Jaguar XJ-xj8.3.jpg   2010 Jaguar XJ-xj8.4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2009, 10:04 AM
 
9,831 posts, read 20,001,431 times
Reputation: 7621
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Well, as the owner of an 04 XJ (X350), I'm probably going to have a different point of view The 2010 XJ is a nice car, no doubt, but it should not have been called the XJ, in the same way the XF wasn't called the S-type (which it replaced). The XJ shape has been around since 1973, and is a recognizable icon on the road. The '04+ XJ was a remarkable piece of engineering, Aluminum chassis, panels and engine gave it a remarkably light kerb weight for its size, which in turn lead to a very stiff chassis and excellent handling, especially with the air suspension. With regard to the interior, it isn't the techno gizmo overload that you find in a 7-series BMW or Infinity, but it has great attention to detail and a simplicity in operation that to me is very appealing.
I still have a few old Top Gear episodes I haven't seen yet and just by chance I watched one last night from 2003 that featured the then new XJ. I'd agree it was probably better than it's competitors but they put an old suit of clothes on the car.

Jaguar in the 50's and 60's used to be known for innovation and modern design and somewhere along the way the people running the show tried to stay in that era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2009, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Tucson, AZ 10/06/09
130 posts, read 448,214 times
Reputation: 75
Way ugly! Doesn't even look like a Jag, looks too much like Aston Martin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top