Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 11:42 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

About a year ago my dh had an interview for a big name corporation. They paid to fly him there, hotel, etc, so,...............they must have at least had a passing interest

Well, the whole thing was such a farce it was ridiculous. First, when he arrived for the interview, right on time, etc, the little gal he was to met with didn't even remember his interview was scheduled, although she was the contact who'd set up the travel, etc. duh!

Well, he politely sidestepped her ineptitude, then, she left him waiting for about 2 hours while she "found someone for him to chat with" Then she came out into the waiting room on her way to lunch, found dh still sitting there, obvious she'd forgotten all about him. She then suggested he take himself out to lunch while they "looked for someone for him to chat with". He took himself out to a nearby restaurant (hey, they could have at least bought the guy lunch). Then, while he's eating lunch, he got a call they found "someone for him to chat with" and told him to go to another building. Remember, the guy's in a strange town, heavy traffic, etc.

Well, he managed to find his way. The "guy he was supposed to chat with" wasn't even aware of him coming, didn't have a resume forwarded, but dh had a copy of his resume. then, they guy perked up and said oh, you're the one we wanted! Apparently they really wanted dh, but it was a nightmare getting through HR.

The day was shot by then, so, they wanted him to stay overnight again and launched another round of interviews the next day. Then it was different, he got real interviews, everyone was impressed, really indicated they wanted to make an offer. The next step---go back through his HR contact, the ding-a-ling who'd screwed him around before. Despite repeated attempts to contact her, all he got was a canned flush letter. I told dh he should have gone over her head, find the head of HR, everyone has a boss, and at least explain his experiences with the interview process. Every interview doesn't guarantee a job, of course, but it shouldn't have been such a runaround.

DH declined to press the issue, let it go. He was too deflated at that point to even care. i felt if he'd protested, he might have at least gotten another interview with better results. Probably they would have been so embarassed at their treatment of him they would have offered him something just for that!

Interviewing is a hell I wouldn't wish on anyone. We are both employed again, at much lower salaries but decent benefits, and both of us agree we wil not pursue a better-paying job because we just can't handle the interview stress and BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:14 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
I think the only rudeness I've experienced is when an interviewer cancelled on me without any explanation. We had scheduled the interview, I had actually gone on vacation the 2 weeks before and bought some new corporate type clothes that cost me a fortune, done my homework, was all excited about the interview as it was a great opportunity and then got an email saying it was cancelled and that was that. Talk about a huge letdown. I could only assume they either changed their minds about the opening or maybe the interviewer herself was let go.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Years ago I had one and it was weird from the start. The HR person said to me prior to the interview "you're not looking to make friends with the person you be working for, are you?". I said no that wasn't the reason I was looking to change jobs.

She brought me up to the dept. I would be working in and the woman I was to interview with wasn't in yet. She kept me waiting almost a half hour.

One of the first things she commented on was where I was living, I worked and lived in West LA at the time and this position was way out in the west San Fernando Valley. She made a comment about the commute( I thought to myself I wasn't the one who was a half hour late).

It went downhill from there. She had me go around and meet with all her staff( like five people) one at a time. They all asked me the same questions....LOL...which she must have come with up. I thought what a complete waste of everyone's time, just do a group interview.

It ended with her making a comment because I had worked at UCLA and she mentioned someone who she knew worked there. I said I didn't know that person and she acted like I had lied on my resume about UCLA....uh just check with HR.... I did work there.

I went back down and saw the HR woman after the interview and told her now I understand about what you meant when you made your friends comment. I said thanks but no thanks and also said I was there for 3 hours and it should have been a 45 minute interview and when someone is a half hour late they should apologize for keeping you waiting. I figured if she was that rude in the interview I couldn't imagine working there. My current job at the time started looking really, really good...LOL.

Not something you could do in this economy but this was back when jobs were plentiful. I knew I couldn't work for this woman so I figured I might as well say may peace.

And it felt good doing it.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:43 AM

372 posts, read 522,040 times
Years ago I was invited to interview for a position at a hospital. The Manager took one look at me, made a face as if she smelled something awful, got a major attitude and demanded: "Why are you here?"

"Because you asked me", I politely responded, smiling.

Needless to say, I didn't get the job. And, I wouldn't have worked for that woman if she had offered it to me on a silver platter.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:08 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Oh, just thought of another one. I was asked to come for an interview in a town about an hour's drive from where I lived so I had to take a vacation day to go there (time off I could ill-afford to take). I drove up there thro horrendous traffic, took forever to find a parking space, was very frazzled and a bit distressed when I walked in, only to have the moron behind the desk say, "We're not actually interested in hiring you, we just wanted to meet you." To say I was livid would be a MASSIVE understatement. I barely got out of there with my temper intact! Another time I drove THREE hours to an interview to basically be told the same thing. There must be something about me that makes interviewers want to say, "Hello," but otherwise completely waste my time.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:35 AM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Oh, just thought of another one. I was asked to come for an interview in a town about an hour's drive from where I lived so I had to take a vacation day to go there (time off I could ill-afford to take). I drove up there thro horrendous traffic, took forever to find a parking space, was very frazzled and a bit distressed when I walked in, only to have the moron behind the desk say, "We're not actually interested in hiring you, we just wanted to meet you." To say I was livid would be a MASSIVE understatement. I barely got out of there with my temper intact! Another time I drove THREE hours to an interview to basically be told the same thing. There must be something about me that makes interviewers want to say, "Hello," but otherwise completely waste my time.
They should have at least reimbursed your gas mileage, buy lunch, something....

Old 08-18-2010, 01:38 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Yes. The CFO of this hedge fund interviewed me and he never smiled, nor shook my hand. And he was doodling on the back of my resume while I was answering his questions and talking to him. I thought it was hardcore RUDE!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:34 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,378,123 times
This video shows some extremely rude interviewers. Of course, they are kind of goaded into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-YIB...eature=related

Last edited by kanhawk; 08-18-2010 at 09:59 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 09:43 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrygal View Post
Years ago I was invited to interview for a position at a hospital. The Manager took one look at me, made a face as if she smelled something awful, got a major attitude and demanded: "Why are you here?"

"Because you asked me", I politely responded, smiling.

Needless to say, I didn't get the job. And, I wouldn't have worked for that woman if she had offered it to me on a silver platter.
That's awful of the interviewer.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:46 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
One job asked me my min salary I would work for. I forget the sum, but I put an annual amount. she looked shocked and said we couldn't possibly offer that much. I pointed out it was min wage in hourly terms, and since that job expected much more the 40 hr/week (they made that quite clear in the beginning, I was expected to work until the job was done, whatever it took weekends, evenings, etc). I pointed out they were expecting me to essentially work for about 1/2 the then going rate for min wage. she sat there looking slack jawed, I just walked out. Some conversations aren't worht continuing. I told her I was applying for a job, not offering to be her slave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search