Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 02:29 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times

Advertisements

I haven't had much experience in the way of interviews I think I can count 5 over the last 35 years.

First time was good and didn't have another for 15 years when I had 3 in a two year period. Got the job on all of them; one lasted 6 months and I quit.

Another lasted almost a year before I got fired/quit deciding I wanted to go into business for myself again. They were a real crappy company, I told them so before walking out and taking two of their best customers with me. One year later I had more business than they did and one year after that their company failed (no surprise to me) and I bought the leather chair my boss fired me from at a bank auction. I still have it. My old boss was there and wouldn't look at me but I know he heard me when I mentioned to a friend why I wanted that particular chair.

If you sign a non-compete clause and they do not pay you for it tell them to stick it where the sun doesn't shine because it is worthless in most states.

I don't think I ever had a normal interview where there was competition.

All my interviews have been conducted by an owner and some might consider it sexist but I don't think I would tolerate being interviewed by a woman. I can't imagine wanting a job that bad.

Thinking about it I was a terrible employee prospect when I was younger which was something interviewers missed. I did my job, I did it well but I was always sizing the company I was interviewing with as competition. There's no way I would have hired myself when I was 40 I was just to dangerous but today I am approaching retirement and don't want to own a business anymore. Oh but to be 40 again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 03:15 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,818 times
I've had a couple of bad ones.

First one was at a retail store in a mall.

The interview was early - really early in the morning, like 7:30am because they needed to meet me before they opened for trade.
I got to the store and there was no one there, the store was shut except for the security roller shutter was open a smidge.

I waited forever (in the days when mobiles were new and I didn't have one) and the interviewer finally came out and got irate with me for not opening the security shutter and going straight in.

Seriously, I would never just enter private property uninvited - especially having to operate the security shutters.

I was early for the interview and didn't go anywhere - so I wasn't happy.

The second one I was sent out to a house for a cleaning job - it was meant to be a 4 hour clean, which was good for the particular agency I worked for.

I got to the house on time, knocked - no answer. I tried calling, - no answer.
I kept on waiting, maybe 45 mins. I felt funny just leaving - I'd driven for 30 minutes to get there so I stupidly stayed.

Anyway the woman finally showed up and was so rude, she chatted to her naughty son and allowed him to interrupt continually. She did not bother to apologise for being late.
Arg - on and on it went, but she didn't want me to clean *eye roll* she just wanted to meet me. (NOT a service we offered)

So I eventually made my escape and I contacted her when the next 'clean' was scheduled only to be told that she decided against getting a cleaner.

I complained to my agency but there was nothing they could do (didn't bother them that I wasted my time, fuel and phone credit)- pretty bloody annoying though.

Some people are just so amazingly selfish.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:26 AM

143 posts, read 374,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
All my interviews have been conducted by an owner and some might consider it sexist but I don't think I would tolerate being interviewed by a woman. I can't imagine wanting a job that bad.
Might?? It is sexist. Plenty of women are business owners, and plenty of women are responsible for hiring people. And they manage! Amazing, isn't it?

Cripes!

--
My rudest interview ... I was interviewing at a grocery store, and they told me I was expected to be available at all times on all days. I confirmed that it was a part time position I was interviewing for, and told them that that wasn't a problem, however, I would be seeking a second job as well, but that their schedule would take priority. She sighed, tossed my application in the recycle bin, and told me to reapply if that changes.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:12 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Oh yeah I can remember one interview imparticular I went on as I was talking the interviewer kept looking around the room and then he looked twice at my resume because he could not remember my name . I have a very easy name so I felt like that was an excuse . I felt also like I was totally boring him and he did not even bother to ask any questions , a yr later they went under and I was like I hope some interviewer treats him the way he treated me . Now I feel like it is even worse , Im unemployed past 40 and over qualified to work at the family dollar stores . LOL !! I have a feeling in the coming days it is only going to get worse .

Old 08-19-2010, 07:17 AM

32 posts, read 74,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
Tell us a true story of an interviewer being rude to you in an interview. I can't think of one right now, but you'd think with as many interviews as I've been on and the number of rejections I got, that I could think of one. I am sure it will come to me.

What I *have* had happen is acute awkwardness when it's been obvious I am not what they were looking for. I once went to a sort of training/interview where the leader or interviewer or whatever basically told me not to come back the next day. I felt so rejected, and in fact dejected, since I didn't know the reason why she picked on me personally. I will never forget how confused and mystified I was.

Share!

When I first graduated from college I had a phone interview with this very large construction company. I asked a few questions about the position to show I was interested in building a career with the company (Like what are the oppurtunities for advancement, Do you offer tuition reinbusment). The guy flipped out and said that "Our proffesors tell us we are going to get rich out of college and that isn't ture!". Then he said "Anyone that would hire me out of college is just doing me a favor!". He said a whole bunch of stuff like that and he was like screaming it in the phone! It was nuts! Looking back I think he may have been drunk or on drugs. Normal people don't act like that.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:55 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
Two come to mind.

Right out of college, I had an interview 40 mins away, got all prepared and when I got there, the woman took a peek at my resume, told me I was not right for the position and walked me out. Why the hell did they ask me in> I was too polite in those days to even ask.

Six months ago I had an interview where when the lady began speaking about the company, I naturally started taking notes. She then asked me to put the pen down and not take notes while she is talking. I was floored. First, I take notes cause I can never remember things otherwise. Second, who the hell asks you not to take notes.

I wasn't interested when I left there.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:02 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfriedkasei View Post
My rudest interview ... I was interviewing at a grocery store, and they told me I was expected to be available at all times on all days. I confirmed that it was a part time position I was interviewing for, and told them that that wasn't a problem, however, I would be seeking a second job as well, but that their schedule would take priority. She sighed, tossed my application in the recycle bin, and told me to reapply if that changes.
You gotta love those "be on call at OUR convenience" type jobs..... they don't or can't guarantee you enough hours/pay to even BEGIN to be able to live on, then expect you NOT to take anything else to supplement theirs.....talk about entitlement.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:51 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
You gotta love those "be on call at OUR convenience" type jobs..... they don't or can't guarantee you enough hours/pay to even BEGIN to be able to live on, then expect you NOT to take anything else to supplement theirs.....talk about entitlement.

Call centers are like that. they hire you for a 40 hr week job, then jerk your schedule around. They tell you to come in early or leave early, depending on call volume. I've been told to go home, then called back at night, was expected to be at their beck and call. I took the damned job just long enough to get another one, then left. That was years ago, I understand they're still the same.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:49 AM

143 posts, read 374,703 times
That was pretty much exactly it ... pay was minimum wage, about 16-20 hours a week ... after she got all rude like that, I told her I did need to, ya know, pay rent and buy food and gas, and she didn't really have a response. Just said, "Nice meeting you" and turned to talk to the other interviewer. I wouldn't have minded a variable schedule, just as long as it could either be given to me more than a week in advance, or around set hours at whatever other part-time gig I could scrounge up. Apparently that is just too much to ask.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:56 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Let's see....had one guy scratch his crotch during the ten minutes we talked....we only talked for ten minutes cuz I got up and left.

Had another hiring mgr excuse himself for a smoke break 20 minutes in.....after he got his fix he learned that I wasn't interested. I was already in my car by the time he took his 4th drag.

Took an afternoon off once to interview for a supposedly great opportunity. The receptionist eloquently told me that the hiring mgr. was too busy to meet with me today. Wanna reschedule?

No, thank you.

The funniest one?

15 minutes in the boss sez that this is the crappiest company to work for. He informed me that he prob'ly wasn't going to make it through the day. He started to put the personal items on his desk into one of those banker boxes.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search