Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times

Advertisements

This is an article from a site I follow and was curious what people think of this advice.

I Can’t Find a Job in This Economy!

Visit the link for the full article...

Quote:
I get a lot of emails from people with the above statement, usually followed by some sort of plea for help. I have a lot of sympathy for their situation. I can’t even imagine how painful it would be to not have a steady income, have no luck finding work, and have others depending on you to provide an income.

Whenever I see an email like this, though, I usually respond with many of the same points (often tailored to a specific situation, of course, but the ideas are constant). What follows are the things I almost always tell people who are having difficulty finding work right now.

First of all, don’t waste another second passing blame for this situation. Yes, the economy isn’t particularly strong. Yes, depending on your political beliefs, it’s all the Republican Party’s or the Democratic Party’s fault. Yes, the president (Bush or Obama, choose one based on your political ideas) is/was a horrible individual who is trying/has tried to destroy the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 09:40 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,950 times
This article would hold water in an economy that was actually recovering. When I go to DSS for my 'job search' session, the job search worker already knows that I know that there is nothing on the New York job search site. So he talks to me for a few minutes, and then says, see you in three or four weeks. It's supposed to be weekly. No job market means no job.

The only thing I can agree with in this article, is to stop playing the blame game.

Quotes from article in red;

I have a lot of sympathy for their situation. - Sympathy is not an option. No one needs your sympathy. We NEED someone that will actually get Americans their jobs back.

I can’t even imagine how painful it would be to not have a steady income, have no luck finding work, and have others depending on you to provide an income.
- This is the most aggravating and infuriating. If you can't imagine how it feels to be in the situation that millions of us are in, then shut-up and stop giving empty advice.

Trent (article writer) is one of many morons that do not have a clue, how the breaking of Americas backbone feels.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:51 AM

943 posts, read 3,334,830 times
Default Using LinkedIn to get a job

Wrong post

Last edited by KMG1; 09-02-2010 at 10:01 AM..

Old 09-02-2010, 09:59 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,487 times
I wonder how many folks waste time on this site debating moot topics which ultimately make them no better off than they were before. So maybe they feel they won a debate or two. Doesn't seem to make a difference when they're STILL unemployed.

I've suggested to people in the past that they should take a break from this site, because overall, I find the mood depressing on here. Yes, you may notice that plenty of useful advice (relatively speaking) is dished out from time to time. But it doesn't take a lot of investigating to see that many of these threads turn into mini-debate sessions. Ultimately, I find them unproductive and exhausting, to say the least.

As I mentioend before, there comes a useful post where actual information is conveyed. But more often than not, I think most of these threads are created to detract from the discussion and lure people toward's one's own personal views. Most of the time, that mission ends in a squabbled mess, and the usefulness of the thread is naught. And sadly enough, I've been guilty of this, too. Please forgive me .

Old 09-02-2010, 11:05 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,132 times
Boy, that article covers LOTS of new ground! For example, people don't have jobs because they're not trying hard enough! And, they're just not willing to "lower themselves"- because everyone knows people's (and society's) problems would just go away if they availed themselves of the many opportunities minimum wage jobs flipping burgers offers them. Oh, and if people would just stop being so darned entitled...

/sarcasm off

What a load of self-righteous, empty advice. The internet is making me really not like people.

EDIT:

I do have to give that blogger one point- complaining about which party deserves fault for the state of the economy is a total waste of energy. They are both at fault, and it is what it is. But I guess my exasperation lies in the fact that this is an economy where on average there are at least six applicants for every job opening, and many of those jobs require such specific education and experience that most applicants don't stand a chance anyway. I just can't stand people who pretend to have all the answers given that these are economic conditions that most people haven't experienced before.

Last edited by mb919; 09-02-2010 at 11:17 AM..

Old 09-02-2010, 03:50 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Boy, that article covers LOTS of new ground! For example, people don't have jobs because they're not trying hard enough! And, they're just not willing to "lower themselves"- because everyone knows people's (and society's) problems would just go away if they availed themselves of the many opportunities minimum wage jobs flipping burgers offers them. Oh, and if people would just stop being so darned entitled...

/sarcasm off

What a load of self-righteous, empty advice. The internet is making me really not like people.

EDIT:

I do have to give that blogger one point- complaining about which party deserves fault for the state of the economy is a total waste of energy. They are both at fault, and it is what it is. But I guess my exasperation lies in the fact that this is an economy where on average there are at least six applicants for every job opening, and many of those jobs require such specific education and experience that most applicants don't stand a chance anyway. I just can't stand people who pretend to have all the answers given that these are economic conditions that most people haven't experienced before.
Yes, the internet - and dumb drivers, and clueless idiots who walk in front of my (slowly moving) car while talking on cell phones, etc.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:15 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times
A lot of the advice the writer gives in this article would probably work if the economy wasn't so tight. Not everyone can afford to move out of their state and go to another state or country. It may be true for some things that no one owes a person anything but it has gotten to a point where our people including myself NEED jobs and we need them ASAP! And also, what if someone is looking for work but for whatever reason their dream job doesn't fall in their lap? Then what? In normal economic times, the advice in the article might work. Not now though.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:23 PM

635 posts, read 1,704,764 times
It's tough out there...just hang on

Old 09-02-2010, 11:06 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Does this guy get paid for these articles? Not a new thought in it, or a particularly helpful one. Everything he said has been said over and over in many areas.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:16 AM

48 posts, read 192,955 times
Depending on your occupation/profession, you may want to consider relocating to an are that has better job opportunities, such as San Antonio. Google to see what other areas that may be more suitable to you personally that may offer more opportunities. Be proactive in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search