Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:48 PM

170 posts, read 583,250 times

Advertisements

First job out of college - Big Fortune 500 company for 1.5 years
-name looks good on the resume
-didnt like the work i was doing
-no room for promotion or advancement
-company about to go bankrupt, so i left in only 1.5 years

2nd job out of college - Another Big Fotune 500 company for 6 months
-great company, but not really well known
-looks goood on the resume
-hate the job though
-hate the people i work with
-hate the city i live in

I'm 25 though, I need to find a good company and an area I want to live in for a while. It's a tough decision, but I've alrady started looking for other jobs in other cities.

Is it bad - 1.5 years at Company A, 1 year at Company B (I'll stay a full year)

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 07:53 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
I don't think that is too bad and I think moving out of state is kind of a "free pass". Although I think you will want to put an end to this trend pretty soon or employers are going to start questioning how fast you will leave them.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:16 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times
Depends on the industry and your function. In the old days, if someone switched companies every 5 years, people would whisper "what's wrong with Bob - can't he keep a job?" In high tech, with the exception of a few lifer companies, if you don't switch companies every 3 to 5 years, people would whisper "what's wrong with Bob - can't he find a new job?"

Pretty soon, you need to spend 3 to 5 years at one company. Otherwise, your resume has a problem.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:43 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,363,482 times
You didn't say what industry your in and with the exception of some high tech jobs it looks bad...I'd stick it out as long as you can with the current company but start looking right away.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:07 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,282,338 times
Hiring is so subjective, it really depends on the person looking at it. I would say though, the more experienced the position, the more it will matter.

But personally, I'd look at what you have on the resume. If your experience/responsibility continue to expand with each job, it would not look as bad as one that simply shows a number of jobs without any advancement.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:12 AM

536 posts, read 1,870,993 times
I averaged a new job every 20 months or so after I got out of school. Rarely did I ever get a comment about it from a potential employer.

Just have your reasons ready. The job sucks and you hate the work is not a good reason Company is going downhill (I have used this). Better myself. As another poster said moving is a good reason. Looking or better opportunities.

Leaving after 1 to 2 years is usually a no-no. You really should stay for 2+. But things happen. I have left jobs for more money, better coworkers, better experience, career path etc.

In the end, if you can get a new job it doesn't really matter now does it But I do agree that down the road further into your career you should stay longer. 3 to 5 years is a good number.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:18 AM

299 posts, read 1,132,188 times
You actually have to get the job to job hop these days. With so many people not able to find work, getting a job and staying put is the new way. Sorry, but who would want to go through this nightmare of finding work every year?????

Only reason would be if the company closed it's doors.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:54 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvasonicbloom View Post
First job out of college - Big Fortune 500 company for 1.5 years
-name looks good on the resume
-didnt like the work i was doing
-no room for promotion or advancement
-company about to go bankrupt, so i left in only 1.5 years

2nd job out of college - Another Big Fotune 500 company for 6 months
-great company, but not really well known
-looks goood on the resume
-hate the job though
-hate the people i work with
-hate the city i live in

I'm 25 though, I need to find a good company and an area I want to live in for a while. It's a tough decision, but I've alrady started looking for other jobs in other cities.

Is it bad - 1.5 years at Company A, 1 year at Company B (I'll stay a full year)

Help!
I don't think job hopping has the stigma it used to though still people probably like to see some stability. Six months is a really short period of time, at many jobs you wouldn't have even finished your training at that point.

In certain industries its the norm though. In online advertising, media buying, IT, I mention those b/c those are a few I'm familiar with its not at all uncommong to jump around every year or year and a half or so.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:48 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
You don't have to leave a company to get a new job. If I see a lot of jobs in a short time frame one of my first thoughts is generally how come that person didn't get promoted? Now there may be valid reasons why, but this is definitely something to think about.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:00 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,917,993 times
Depends on the industry, in high tech I guess its okay. Other areas I think it looks bad. Your first job or two could be 2 years or so but after that you need to 'solidify' your resume with a 5-8 year stint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search