Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 11:03 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
There should never be a super yelling routinely. I agree that looking for other employment is the way to go, but it depends on the context of the situation, the position, the company, etc. It's not about winning a fight either, imo, rather making sure the work environment remains professional, as it should be.
Looking for other employment is an example of how you can act while being perceived as a pushover. Do you now understand the statement you said you didn't understand?

Quote:
Do you mean an example of when to employ assertiveness at my job? I suppose any example you can think of that is umbrellaed under the proverbial dog fighting that occurs in the sciences and between scientists will do. Not only can individual research be attacked (without yelling of course), but entire established platforms of research.
We have different perceptions of being a pushover. I don't consider a pushover to be uncompetitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 11:10 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
Looking for other employment is an example of how you can act while being perceived as a pushover. Do you now understand the statement you said you didn't understand?
I get where you're coming from. I just think correcting the person yelling should be in tandem with other efforts.

Quote:
We have different perceptions of being a pushover. I don't consider a pushover to be uncompetitive.
Well, being a pushover is allowing yourself to be attacked, influenced, whatever...in any context.

Again, I still don't know why any of you believe the OP should take the kind of treatment from anyone, let alone a recruiter.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:16 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Being yelled at is not okay in a professional environment. That being said, don't put all your eggs in this basket and let the recuriter just do all the work. She is tyring to manipulate you, into thinking that you really need her to find employment, and using scare tactics to unsettle you. If you don't get the job, it is not because you made a phoine call. She just wants to be secure in having an advantage with you, and treat you like crap, so that you will do what she says.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Well, being a pushover is allowing yourself to be attacked, influenced, whatever...in any context.
I have no idea how I made it this far without you.

Quote:
Again, I still don't know why any of you believe the OP should take the kind of treatment from anyone, let alone a recruiter.
You think you're a smart person, right? Put together a few theories.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
She is tyring to manipulate you, into thinking that you really need her to find employment, and using scare tactics to unsettle you. If you don't get the job, it is not because you made a phoine call. She just wants to be secure in having an advantage with you, and treat you like crap, so that you will do what she says.
Bingo!

Old 11-13-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I have no idea how I made it this far without you.

You think you're a smart person, right? Put together a few theories.
This is an odd post. I know I'm smart, that's not the issue. The issue here is one of professionalism. If a recruiter is acting like a nut it reflects poorly on the staffing agency s/he works for to start. The company should be informed for their own sake. Further, anyone that works in corporate America is probably well aware of corp. ethics and behaviors when dealing with people. Finally, I'm not sure what theories you're talking about. Apparently, you are familiar with this type of nutty behavior from colleagues, supers, whatever. It's not something that would be acceptable in my work environment, tho, I work for a large co, so that might account for differences. What is your industry, btw?

Old 11-13-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
This is an odd post.
It's only odd until you realize I'm laughing while I write it.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
It's only odd until you realize I'm laughing while I write it.
*shrugs*

Old 11-13-2010, 04:03 PM

13 posts, read 116,907 times
Quote:
To flesh out your personality a little so that the kid can see from where your advice comes.

People with good self-esteem don't worry about someone yelling at them occassionally. Their self-image isn't that fragile. They recognize that the person yelling has something they may want someday so they apply good political responses to avoid further mistreatment while maintaining the quality of the bridge. That's my opinion.
I've never bought into this self-esteem bull**** anyways. I am who I am and I don't make decisions because of my so called "inadequacies". If I'm weak in something I man up and learn how to overcome it. Self-esteem is just an excuse for not getting something done. I life my life with ambition but I know other people deserve respect as human beings. Ambition with humility is how I try to live my life.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippy.doe View Post
I've never bought into this self-esteem bull**** anyways. I am who I am and I don't make decisions because of my so called "inadequacies". If I'm weak in something I man up and learn how to overcome it. Self-esteem is just an excuse for not getting something done. I life my life with ambition but I know other people deserve respect as human beings. Ambition with humility is how I try to live my life.
That sounds reasonable to me. I guess self-esteem and all that stuff are so that people who feel inadequate have a way of communicating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search