Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,776,365 times

Advertisements

I have relatives who began working somewhere at an early age -- say, at a bank or university -- and gradually moved to higher positions. They've now been working there for 15+ years, are making some decent coinage, and, get this -- most of them never even got a bachelor's degree.

I'm now 27 and plan to marry my girlfriend within the next 2 years. I work a dead end job with no opportunities for promotion in sight. I am dead set on finding work in an organization that can offer, above all, stability -- a place I can see myself in for the next 20-30 years.

Which places out there offer such growth potential?

The ones that spring to mind are:
- Banks
- Universities
- Hospitals/healthcare

Is this really the case, or are these places no better given the still feeble economy?

I've applied for 10+ administrative jobs at local colleges and universities and have yet to get a response. From what I've heard, these jobs usually go to internal candidates and people with Ph.D's. (I only have a bachelor's). I've also heard it's nearly impossible to land government jobs.

After graduating from college, I settled for 2 jobs at start-up companies (was laid off from the first) for the sake of getting experience. Now inching ever closer to age 30, I desire to target organizations that offer good benefits and a clear path for growth.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 08:14 AM

98 posts, read 239,288 times
What is your degree?

Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,776,365 times
Marketing.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:07 PM

200 posts, read 505,224 times
The thing is it's not our grandfather's, father's, or even our big brother's job market and economy anymore.

I might suggest working in an industry no one else wants to work in. I'm currently working as a retail store manager in training where the end payoff is an average of $66 K a year with top managers making close to $120 K or more. The opportunity cost of working where I work is giving up your weekends, evenings, and holidays. We are actually having trouble finding qualified trainees in certain markets even with unemployment rate being what it is.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:20 PM

331 posts, read 990,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Marketing.
Have you tried entry-level sales / advertising positions at firms? Or does that type of thing really interest you?

Our sales team does really well at the software firm I work at.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:15 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
One of the departments at our healthcare organization that is growing is the marketing department. Imagine that. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search