U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-31-2012, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Southern California
12,722 posts, read 13,076,570 times
Reputation: 35337

Advertisements

I've been at my current job for 5 years and have been promoted twice. What is the best way to put this in my resume? Do I put each separate job title as a new "job" or do I just put one line with my most recent job title? I think if I put a section for each job title it will be too lengthy. My most recent title is obviously the job i want to showcase.

Any advice?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2012, 11:04 AM
 
26,589 posts, read 58,215,885 times
Reputation: 13114
Something like this:

ABC Company
Peanut Sorter, June 2002 through August 2005
Sorted peanuts on production line, removing unqualified peanuts and debris materials.
Kept production are clean.
Received "Employee of the Month" in July 2003 and September 2004

Peanut Roaster, August 2005 through March 2007
Operated roaster machine.
Loaded product into hoppers and cleared jams.
Minor maintenance of machinery.
Recognized for outstanding production quality increase during four consecutive quarters.

Production Lead, March 2007 to present
Supervise production team of eight.
Assist senior management with scheduling and performance reviews
Schedule machinery down time and maintenance to have the lowest impact on production goals
Have exceeded production goals during every quarter.

That's the general format I'd use--it's pretty obvious to the person reviewing the resume that the title changes were vertical, not lateral moves. Don't repeat responsibilities that are duplicated during the various roles, state them once in the lowest role that responsibility is found in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 11:19 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,044 posts, read 65,551,292 times
Reputation: 41525
The fact that you have been promoted in a short time is in itself valuable information for a potential employer. Do not leave it off.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 11:24 AM
 
26,589 posts, read 58,215,885 times
Reputation: 13114
I'd be sure to talk about the promotions in the cover letter as well. That's where you can explain WHY you were promoted.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 11:33 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 43,161,005 times
Reputation: 16209
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Something like this:

ABC Company
Peanut Sorter, June 2002 through August 2005
Sorted peanuts on production line, removing unqualified peanuts and debris materials.
Kept production are clean.
Received "Employee of the Month" in July 2003 and September 2004

Peanut Roaster, August 2005 through March 2007
Operated roaster machine.
Loaded product into hoppers and cleared jams.
Minor maintenance of machinery.
Recognized for outstanding production quality increase during four consecutive quarters.

Production Lead, March 2007 to present
Supervise production team of eight.
Assist senior management with scheduling and performance reviews
Schedule machinery down time and maintenance to have the lowest impact on production goals
Have exceeded production goals during every quarter.

That's the general format I'd use--it's pretty obvious to the person reviewing the resume that the title changes were vertical, not lateral moves. Don't repeat responsibilities that are duplicated during the various roles, state them once in the lowest role that responsibility is found in.
This is the format I use as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Moon Over Palmettos
5,978 posts, read 18,585,519 times
Reputation: 5073
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Something like this:

ABC Company
Peanut Sorter, June 2002 through August 2005
Sorted peanuts on production line, removing unqualified peanuts and debris materials.
Kept production are clean.
Received "Employee of the Month" in July 2003 and September 2004

Peanut Roaster, August 2005 through March 2007
Operated roaster machine.
Loaded product into hoppers and cleared jams.
Minor maintenance of machinery.
Recognized for outstanding production quality increase during four consecutive quarters.

Production Lead, March 2007 to present
Supervise production team of eight.
Assist senior management with scheduling and performance reviews
Schedule machinery down time and maintenance to have the lowest impact on production goals
Have exceeded production goals during every quarter.

That's the general format I'd use--it's pretty obvious to the person reviewing the resume that the title changes were vertical, not lateral moves. Don't repeat responsibilities that are duplicated during the various roles, state them once in the lowest role that responsibility is found in.
I do it backwards...I put the more recent one at the top, and oldest at the bottom. Make sure you include the words "increasing responsibility" in your cover letter.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 04:38 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 43,161,005 times
Reputation: 16209
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I do it backwards...I put the more recent one at the top, and oldest at the bottom. Make sure you include the words "increasing responsibility" in your cover letter.
Good point. I didn't look close enough. I do that as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 04:46 PM
 
26,589 posts, read 58,215,885 times
Reputation: 13114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I do it backwards...I put the more recent one at the top, and oldest at the bottom. Make sure you include the words "increasing responsibility" in your cover letter.
You're right. I was just doing it really quick and more worried about the peanuts than the format.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Southern California
12,722 posts, read 13,076,570 times
Reputation: 35337
My only question is: How did you know I was in the peanut industry!?!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Moon Over Palmettos
5,978 posts, read 18,585,519 times
Reputation: 5073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
My only question is: How did you know I was in the peanut industry!?!
Ha! Didn't you know annerk is a mind-reader? It was that or your progressive experience as a proctologist!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top