Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 11:32 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,096,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidjun24 View Post
Should I have heard from them by now of the backround was complete on 12/25/2012...and what is the normal way someone would know if there backround check was good...do they call you or do they send the offer letter and package to your resident...its only been 2 days since the check was complete by the third party vendor...I really hope I didnt mess my chances up by not stating my current employment...
Current job:

Third party contacted me and said it was complete and they would mail it to my home. Took almost a week.

For you?

Snail mail can take longer during the holidaze....

Don't worry about it.

You should hear something around Jan. 4 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 11:32 AM

10 posts, read 91,904 times
Well its was a my previous employer as well back in 2008..I am currently working there now but I didnt tell them that..I didnt put it on my resume...but on the application it does show i worked there before..But i am afraid because my backround stats that I am still active ...I just hope then do not look into that much they make them want to call to verify...but i did put on my application to contact any of my previous employer which would be the one I am at for the 2nd go round..just did want them to know it...I did myself a really dumb move...I really hope I didnt ********** up

Old 12-28-2012, 11:38 AM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidjun24 View Post
Well its was a my previous employer as well back in 2008..I am currently working there now but I didnt tell them that..I didnt put it on my resume...but on the application it does show i worked there before..But i am afraid because my backround stats that I am still active ...I just hope then do not look into that much they make them want to call to verify...but i did put on my application to contact any of my previous employer which would be the one I am at for the 2nd go round..just did want them to know it...I did myself a really dumb move...I really hope I didnt ********** up
Oh yeah, they called them.

And your current employer now knows that you're looking.

Hope you get the job.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:41 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,166,084 times
I work for a background screening company. I know for a fact exactly how backgrounds work. Just reading through some posts I'll try to de-myth some information that's being spread around and clarify what I can. I'll try to add to this post as much as I can:

- Backgrounds are done post offer typically as a condition, meaning: you keeping this job is only on the condition you pass a background check. Its a way to get you going right away without waiting the 1-14 days it can take for a background check to be completed.

- Criminal Records are held by NAME and DATE OF BIRTH only. Not Social Security Number.

- Traffic violations typically only show up if they run a motor vehicle report (which they typically don't do unless you have to drive for the job). Some states, however, include all traffic violations as misdemeanors (see Minnesota).

- If a company outsources their employment records to a contractor, they're very good about referring companies to that contractor for employment verifications. I wouldn't worry about that.

- It's not a bad idea to communicate your concerns and help your employer do the background check. This shows you have nothing to hide, and if they find something they're more willing to work with you on it or let you explain.

- If you do NOT get a job and it's because they didn't like what they found on your background check, the employer MUST, by law, do the following: Inform you by letter in the mail as to why, provide a copy of the background report, give you a summary of your rights under the FCRA. And give you a reasonable amount of time to contest any innacurate information. If you contest, they're supposed to re-investigate and keep the job available for you until the re-investigation is complete.

I'll add more if I can later. Hope this helps!

Old 12-28-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Star View Post
Yeah, I thought background checks were to look for crimes that one has been convicted of, and I'm not to be handling any funds, so how could bad credit still deter employers away from me?
Technically, employers are only supposed to factor in convictions when making a decision on employment. They can use open cases or warrants against you as well.

Credit is another animal, there's certain legal restrictions on who they can run credit on (i.e. they're a bank, you'll be in a fiduciary responsible position, or you stand to make over $75k).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
if you were fired from a previous job, but you do not include the job on your application, resume, can they still find out?
Yes, in a way. If you have a gap in your employment, they'll ask you about it and technically you could lie and say you just didn't work during that time (this could hurt you in other ways though). Or, if you lie and say you worked at another job during that time, they'll go to THAT employer, ask the dates you were employed there, and when the dates vastly don't match up they'll use that against you and wonder what you're trying to hide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
So if they do a background check on me, will they find (negative) information on my husband as well?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCpopculturelover View Post
i've heard that employers are legally allowed to only give out limited information regarding a former employee as to why he/she left, as in the dates of employment only and if he/she is rehirable, but they can't say that they were fired
This is INCORRECT. An employer when asked about you can say whatever they want that is either a matter of opinion or pertinent to your job performance. If they lie or talk about how bad of a person you are outside of work then that may be another story. My company asks if you got along well with others, if you were on time, if you followed company policies, if you were difficult to manage...

Last edited by cdubs3201; 12-28-2012 at 11:56 AM..

Old 12-28-2012, 11:50 AM
YAZ

Cdubs,

Thanks for the post!

Everything that you stated was in the copy of my last background check.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:50 AM

10 posts, read 91,904 times
Well my issue is I didnt report my current job woth is my 2nd go round working here.. i didnt report it on my resume did want to look like I move around...i was unemployed for months then my old job rehire me..but i want to move on..got a offer fomr a job but I didnt report my current emplyment on my resume..but my backround is showing orig date hire 2008 -active...will they frown at that on my report...and do you think zi mess my chances up with the offer they gave me...I havennt heard anything yetmy report was complete 3 days ago...should i be getting a call from the employer soon you think..

Old 12-28-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I was terminated on the spot.

So, I was fired for quitting.

Terminated =/= fired. Terminated just means you don't work there anymore, you're not officially an employee. Even if you quit, the HR staff goes through a termination process on your file, your I-9's, etc.

Just means you officially don't work there, doesn't mean they fired you for quitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Once background check is complete, they are done with it as far as I understand. It's usually done by a third party vendor and the vendor gets paid and the job is completed.
I would read the fine print on the Disclosure and Authorization form (aka Consent Form). This typically gives the employer the rights to run a background check on you AT ANY TIME so long as you are an employee or applying for a job within their organization. Typically the form will say "for employment related purposes" which applies to you getting hired, promoted, moved, relocated, etc.

Some employers run a background check on their staff members yearly, some even monthly.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 17,113 times
I was offered a job a few hours after my interview on 12/14/12. I completed the physical and drug test that day and they have come back clean. The background check was started the following Monday 12/17/12, at the end of the week I checked-in and they said they were waiting on employment verification from a small company I worked for. My previous employer has one "HR person" who also does payroll on top of other duties. Today is the second full week (including 2 holidays at the being of this week) that they have been waiting on this would it really take this long to verify employment?

Old 12-28-2012, 01:04 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylombard View Post
I was offered a job a few hours after my interview on 12/14/12. I completed the physical and drug test that day and they have come back clean. The background check was started the following Monday 12/17/12, at the end of the week I checked-in and they said they were waiting on employment verification from a small company I worked for. My previous employer has one "HR person" who also does payroll on top of other duties. Today is the second full week (including 2 holidays at the being of this week) that they have been waiting on this would it really take this long to verify employment?
They prob'ly e-mailed/snail mailed a form for the HR person to fill out.

I doubt that this form is tops on the list to do.

Give 'em a call to "remind" them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search