Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,482,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by churp67 View Post

They won't be able to reimburse me for travel.
I hope you didn't ask them if they would pay for your gas to make the 2.5 hour trip. That would be another deal breaker.

I agree with the people telling you to go. Maybe you would still be hired without going, but they would most likely pick someone who was willing to visit them per their request, over you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 05:25 PM

756 posts, read 2,118,276 times
What did you end up doing?

Old 07-21-2011, 05:28 PM

2.5 hours one-way is still quite a distance. I'd only drive there w/o reimbursement, if the area of the position would be an upgrade or side-grade if the position seemed worth it, but not a downgrade. e.g. I wouldn't leave the city and go to an isolated or depressed area that was far away.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It doesn't work that way.
Some companies do reimburse for interview travel for out of market candidates. e.g. Accenture from their office in Philadelphia would reimburse for Penn State graduates interview travel expense. 2.5 hours one-way seems it'd be out of market. Granted, I doubt AmeriCorps would, but I wouldn't feel intimidated to inquire about it for a position in general.

Last edited by avg12; 07-21-2011 at 05:39 PM..

Old 07-22-2011, 10:43 AM

841 posts, read 2,476,442 times
I traveled 12 hours from NYC to Charlotte for an interview. The 1st interview went well and she wanted me to come back for a 2nd interview the following week. I drove back to NYC and back to Charlotte the next week. I got the job. I won't ever tell someone that I can't make it..especially if we're in the interviewing stage. There is so much competition out there right now that you have to ace every opportunity you can.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:35 PM

649 posts, read 1,424,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
I traveled 12 hours from NYC to Charlotte for an interview. The 1st interview went well and she wanted me to come back for a 2nd interview the following week. I drove back to NYC and back to Charlotte the next week. I got the job. I won't ever tell someone that I can't make it..especially if we're in the interviewing stage. There is so much competition out there right now that you have to ace every opportunity you can.
That's what I'm talking about! You have to hustle hard these days to get a job you want; Especially if your applying out of town.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:43 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
And I bet you didn't ask for gas money.

Congrats on the job!

Old 07-22-2011, 02:56 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
I guess if I was living on bread and water and literally didn't have $40 in my account I might ask. Otherwise no way.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:58 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
That's the way to do it! After my last layoff, I realized my options in Michigan were slim... So I took a train ride out to Chicago and had multiple offers. Couldn't be happier, although I wish the same opportunities were available where I moved from...

Old 07-23-2011, 08:15 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by churp67 View Post
I interviewed over the phone today for an AmeriCorps VISTA position in a town I used to live in that's 2.5 hours away from where I'm currently living. I think the interview went well. They will be making a decision on who to hire tomorrow, and they have already interviewed other candidates. The guy who interviewed me asked if it was possible for me to visit the facility for a tour & to meet staff before they make a decision. It would be very difficult (but not impossible) for me to travel up there, so I asked if not being able to make it would be a dealbreaker. He said no.

They won't be able to reimburse me for travel. The position is a great opportunity, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if I didn't get it. I know the town in which it's located very well as I went to college there and lived there for a while afterwards.

Is it worth making the trip?
Seriously?

Do you have a car? If so, this is not even what I would consider "travel for an interview." I consider travel for an interview when I have to get my rear on a plane or a train.

IF you go, you are able to make a valuable impression in person and if you don't go you have no idea how many people are willing to make the drive.

Honestly, I would not expect a company to reimburse me gas for an interview if it is in driving distance. If it is flying-- well it depends on the job. I would not do that for just any job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search