Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 02:55 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Perhaps not where you work, but our computers flag inappropriate responses and also flag questions where the applicant has taken too long to respond to questions involving honesty. Something I have seen, not just been told about. Too many flags and an applicant is ineligible for hire.
I have a friend who was trying to get into Best Buy while he was going to school for his Master's. He's a bright guy with good sense. He failed the test a couple times before finally getting in. It seems kind of silly that he had such a difficult time getting a minimum wage job when he's absolutely capable of doing the work required of him. I can see how these tests might be flawed. Some people just aren't good test takers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 03:38 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Here’s a sampling of questions:

• People do a lot of things that make you angry.
  • There’s no use having close friends; they always let you down.
  • Many people cannot be trusted.
  • You are unsure of what to say when you meet someone.
  • While you are on break, a customer spills a large drink in a busy area of the restaurant. Cleaning the floors is the job of another team member, but he is taking a customer's order. What would you do?
  • I am sometimes unkind to others.
  • I often lose my patience with others.
  • I dislike having several things to do on the same day.
Employers making more use of hiring tests - Business - Personal finance - Careers - msnbc.com

I'll add one more: When you were a kid, did you ever put up a NO girls allowed or NO boys allowed sign on your treehouse?

That question will weed out all the job candidates who have cooties.
these tests are nothing new. probably about 13 years ago as a young hs kid i applied for a job at jewel grocery store and had to take a 200 question test to be the guy who brings in carts. these may be more prevalent these days but nothing new.

also its as simple as supply and deman theres an oversupply of work so employers can be very demaning in who they hire, why knock them for it, back in the hayday and good economy any idiot could land a decent paying job and it was skewed towards the workers, ebb and flow now its skewed in favor of employers.

obviously these tests are common sense and its kinda dumb b/c you say to yourself i obviously know what answer they want to this question so you put what they want to hear not what you truly feel. they are weeding out the big idiots who dont know to lie on the test. i had a coworker who was loooking for a second job and answered one of these honestly. really , if your not smart enough to tell them what they wnat to hear your not very bright.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:03 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
if your not smart enough to tell them what they wnat to hear your not very bright.
True, but that tosses one of the top virtues out the window: honesty. After starting this thread I went to McDonald's online hiring site, applied for a job, and took the test.

I was honest, and I won't be getting a job there: guaranteed. I think McD's is seeking out people who look like they fell face first into a tackle box.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:22 PM

912 posts, read 1,332,202 times
I have said it before and I will say it again.I hate those tests .If the test is actually job related then I could see the wisdom however,the ones I have taken are not and mostly questions that are my own opinion.To me ,when I see one it is a way to weed applicants but also encourage people to lie on their applications just to get a low wage job.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:42 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Lightbulb Grading your psyche....

Questions like:

"Would you steal from the store if no-one would find out?"

"Would you report a co-worker dropping potato chips and candy bars down his pants?"

Or temperment questions like:

"I often get angry and have hurt small animals?" Yes or No

Old 08-16-2011, 05:42 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,314,195 times
i still think they are stupid

Old 08-16-2011, 08:38 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I have a friend who was trying to get into Best Buy while he was going to school for his Master's. He's a bright guy with good sense. He failed the test a couple times before finally getting in. It seems kind of silly that he had such a difficult time getting a minimum wage job when he's absolutely capable of doing the work required of him. I can see how these tests might be flawed. Some people just aren't good test takers.
Again - on cannot "fail" a personality test. They are not like math tests that have pass / fail grades.

I shake my head at these threads when reading responses from so many people who have opinions about these tests, but obviously know nothing about them. I guess some people just like to complain about anything, regardless of their knowledge on the subject.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:51 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
and people with any dignity.

I've said it before putting more and more hoops doesn't select for better employees just more desperate ones. If my skills were in demand and a company asked me to take a 2 hour psych profile test, multiple day long interviews, and an insanely long job application, chances are I will say F-you and go right to your competitor and add value to them.

The same goes for using temp agencies. Noone accepts a temp/contract job unless they are desperate and unemployed and then leaves once the find an FTE.

The same goes for long behavioral interviews. They select for good BSers.

If companies would select the most qualified candidates and just interview them to make sure they are competent and employable they'd save themselves a lot of grief.
Great response!
Unfortunately, personality tests for hiring have gotten more and more common in the past decade or so. If there were fewer than, say, 20 questions, it wouldn't be such a big deal, but some of these go on and on for about 100 questions or so and some even repeat the same question once or twice with different wording.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:03 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Tober138, I've read about many cases of embezzlement and other employee theft at corps that both used and did not use these tests. The true danger is it is relying less on managements assessment of candidates character and ethics, and that makes them less capable of deciphering the same on an ongoing basis. The best safeguard post-hiring is simply a system with checkpoints along the way. An insane situation which always forces from me a macabre laugh is when one reads of someone who created false invoices to embezzle funds..duh, if the corp is so tiny it cannot split invoice vouchering and check-signing amongst 2 non-ownership employees, it is small enough an owner should be the sole check signer, and require backup documents,invoices AND receiving records.

Again, these tests usage mostly demonstrate management ineptitude or fear of the same.

Last edited by bobtn; 08-16-2011 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-16-2011, 10:46 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Again - on cannot "fail" a personality test. They are not like math tests that have pass / fail grades.

I shake my head at these threads when reading responses from so many people who have opinions about these tests, but obviously know nothing about them. I guess some people just like to complain about anything, regardless of their knowledge on the subject.
I agree with bobtn; at least he explains his view. Maybe you should elaborate on your view rather than simply criticize others without bringing forth any counter-explanation.

This friend I know is extremely capable of handling a Best Buy job. In fact, he has held a position with Best Buy for several years now, after he figured out a way to crack this silly personality test. How do you explain that? How do you explain a guy holding a position for several years after initially failing some stupid personality test for said job? Did his personality magically change? C'mon, really, I want to know what the MS in psychology has to say about this.

Last edited by Z3N1TH 0N3; 08-16-2011 at 11:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search